Indians acquire Brad Hand

zelbell

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Fun fact about that story: it's a made up fairy tale.

Correct, because unlike this trade it involved a unicorn and had a happy ending which rewarded the bad decision maker.

What in the hell is going on here?

@Bonanza23 ruffling feathers as usual I see. ? 

Anyway, the cost was high, but we’re a first place team trying to win a title, I’m good with it. The organization has shown an ability to develop talent, so hopefully he can be replaced.

I also remember when the Indians wouldn’t part with Jaret Wright, so sometimes keeping the prized prospect isn’t always the right move either.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What in the hell is going on here?

@Bonanza23 ruffling feathers as usual I see. ? 

Anyway, the cost was high, but we’re a first place team trying to win a title, I’m good with it. The organization has shown an ability to develop talent, so hopefully he can be replaced.

I also remember when the Indians wouldn’t part with Jaret Wright, so sometimes keeping the prized prospect isn’t always the right move either.

Nah man I’m innocent as usual. 

puss-gif.gif?w=400&h=320

Overly simplistic hot takes: apparently what the Baseball Forum is all about. If that’s what I wanted, I’d tune into Stephen A. every weekday morning. Short term outlook for the Indians with the trade? Sure. He’s a rare catching prospect as far as tools and production at the plate in the minors. With that said, you’re trying to win a Series. In a mid market, there’s not an unlimited window to win a series. Who is more likely to help win a series in the next couple years, your developmental catching prospect, or a couple solid relievers? Answer isn’t complicated on this one. Both sides got something they needed. Do I love the deal? No. I like Mejia a lot and think he could be a future All Star. It’s an easy trade to justify though. Rotation is fantastic, and now the bullpen is bolstered. It’s been the worst in the league this year statistically. They couldn’t win in October with guys like Olson, Tomlin, etc out there. They aren’t even sure at this point what they have in Miller, with the way his health has been much of the year. 

12 hours ago, mse326 said:

This implies if you don't win you do care. A trade being good or bad isn't conditional on future events.

If you honestly think the only deals for relievers available require the trading of a top 5 prospect then you need to stop posting about baseball because you don't know anything.

Someone call the Dolan's cause we have a GM looking for a job! Antonetti doesnt know what he is doing!! Building 100 win teams? PFFFFFFF!!!!!

I really think people are sleeping on Eric Haase. He's not the prospect Mejia is, but he is a solid catcher who fits Tito much more than Mejia does. I really think that is being overlooked.

1 hour ago, FEARtheELF said:

Someone call the Dolan's cause we have a GM looking for a job! Antonetti doesnt know what he is doing!! Building 100 win teams? PFFFFFFF!!!!!

Don't know where I said that, but ok.

And even good decision makers can make bad decisions. He also gave up on Jesus Aguilar. I happen to think that entire team from the top down to Francona buts entirely too much weight on being able to call a game for a catcher, especially for a 22 year old catcher. Do you actually think Roberto Perez is anything more than a replacement level player at best?

Roberto Perez is who he is, which is a very solid 2nd roster spot defensive catcher who can’t hit a lick. He’s what Tito wants behind the dish in that role. 

That said, he was about the only guy who even remotely showed up for the Tribe in the postseason last year, hitting .300, and in the 2016 WS had a phenomenal Game 1 at the plate as well, so he does have some clutch moments.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/roberto-perez-player-stats?seasonType=2

I’m not saying for a minute that I love what he does, but the Tribe as a mid market team have a 2-5 year window right now and the reality is unfortunately they need pen help desperately if they expect to contend for a WS and unfortunately other squads knew this and rightfully pounced on it.

Mejia IMO is the next Posey but he can always become the next Kurt Suzuki too. 

I do know that if this bad trade pays short term dividends and somehow the Tribe win a WS in the next 2-3 years it’s the right one.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Roberto Perez is who he is, which is a very solid 2nd roster spot defensive catcher who can’t hit a lick. He’s what Tito wants behind the dish in that role. 

That said, he was about the only guy who even remotely showed up for the Tribe in the postseason last year, hitting .300, and in the 2016 WS had a phenomenal Game 1 at the plate as well, so he does have some clutch moments.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/roberto-perez-player-stats?seasonType=2

I’m not saying for a minute that I love what he does, but the Tribe as a mid market team have a 2-5 year window right now and the reality is unfortunately they need pen help desperately if they expect to contend for a WS and unfortunately other squads knew this and rightfully pounced on it.

Mejia IMO is the next Posey but he can always become the next Kurt Suzuki too. 

I do know that if this bad trade pays short term dividends and somehow the Tribe win a WS in the next 2-3 years it’s the right one.

I mean. The next Kurt Suzuki would still be better than Roberto Perez.

3 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Thanks for having me check this out @Bonanza23....now I see why I don't bother.  A bunch of pretentious, know-it-all ball bags in here!!!!!!

giphy.gif

I think tbd is how you evaluate ALL trades....One never knows....I dig the tribe is going for it!!!!

And you'd think wrong. We have several models which give us a fairly accurate monetary and FV on prospects. They gave up too much.

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

And you'd think wrong. We have several models which give us a fairly accurate monetary and FV on prospects. They gave up too much.

hahahhhahahahahaahahahahaahah....the "models"....hahahhahaahahahahahahaahahahahaah

yep....they work EVERY TIME

Just now, big poppa pump said:

hahahhhahahahahaahahahahaahah....the "models"....hahahhahaahahahahahahaahahahahaah

yep....they work EVERY TIME

They work well enough to the point where the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox and *gasp* the Indians all use them in conjunction with their own internal models in decision making.

Sometimes you make a trade that you know you probably come out losing long term on to "go for it" for one year. 

The Royals made a bunch in 2015 and they managed to use those assets they acquired to win a WS, and then as a direct result of those decisions are now very likely going to be awful for the next 4-5 years. The A's did that in 2014, despite having a similar value system on prospects, and it blew up in their face and they have just now managed to begin to recover.

Archived