Indians acquire Brad Hand

zelbell

11 minutes ago, mse326 said:

A 27 year old rookie who had a good first half is FARRRRR from proven.

And again you don't get the concept of asset value. It doesn't mater who is or isn't proven except to the extend it changes the asset value. And Hand's value is not close to Mejia's value even if he has proven himself. Trading Mejia for Hand is a negative value transaction.

And I'll ask again why do you think you could only get Hand or could only get a reliever by giving up Mejia. You had other options.

So let me get this straight. This is basically nerd talk for we lost the trade? ?

Fine I’ve already pretty much said we lost the trade by saying it’s a steep price. But if they help us to the World Series I pretty much don’t care about asset value or who wins a trade for a prospect. I’ll worry about 5 years from now 5 years from now. Which is actually funny as I’m usually the conservative type that doesn’t want to get rid of prospects. Especially being a small market team. But I’ve seen us hold onto prospects out of conservatism and they turn out to be garbage.

As far as the last part, how do we know what is even out there as far as trades?  Maybe there wasn’t anything else on the table. Maybe those prices were a lot higher than we gave up. Trade price seems really high right now. I guess if anybody else gets moved we’ll see, I guess?  But I do know what the price was today, and it was steep. 

28 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

How is it wishful thinking saying my team is better than it was yesterday?

Isnt it wishful thinking saying a prospect is going to be a stud?  We don’t know he will, we don’t know he won’t. What I do know is Hand and Cimber are proven players that immediately upgrade our team. 

It's not. Your team is better than it is yesterday.

It's wishful thinking to say:

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

Who’s to say we can’t develop another catcher in the meantime?

When the guy you traded away has a serious argument as the best catching prospect of the past decade. But somehow the Indians are going to step into a phone booth and step out with a comparable catching prospect.

Mejia might turn out to be nothing.

He's hit at every level and plays the position with the lowest offensive replacement level in the game. The odds that Meija is nothing are lower than virtually any prospect in baseball. No one would project this, you just want this.

Or holy heck the Padres may decide to do what we felt was best, turn him into an outfielder

You don't trade all that for a guy to stick him in a position that kills his value. Again, this is pretending that the Padres made the same bad player development path that the Indians did with Meija. Wishful thinking, not reality.

Who knows I can’t predict the future.

"Anything can happen. Especially the things that will make my team look smart in hindsight!"

21 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

But if they help us to the World Series I pretty much don’t care about asset value or who wins a trade for a prospect

So if you don't win you'll agree it was horrible?

That isn't how you evaluate trades. If  you think you lost the trade then you lost the trade. There is nothing that can change that.

22 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

As far as the last part, how do we know what is even out there as far as trades?  Maybe there wasn’t anything else on the table.

The history tells there are several relievers available. Basically every reliever from a non contending team is available.

25 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Maybe those prices were a lot higher than we gave up

HAHAHAHAHAHA

20 minutes ago, mse326 said:

So if you don't win you'll agree it was horrible?

That isn't how you evaluate trades. If  you think you lost the trade then you lost the trade. There is nothing that can change that.

The history tells there are several relievers available. Basically every reliever from a non contending team is available.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

No I’m saying the price we gave up was steep. If we win I really don’t care how steep it was. YET AGAIN, I’ve seen teams hold onto prospects all the time that ended up to be garbage. I’d rather do what it takes now to get to the World Series while we are in position to. I’ve also seen us be crappy for years which may very well be again in a few years. Give me the shot now. A bird in the Hand if you will ?

Whats so funny about that last part?  You know what the deals on the table were?

4 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

No I’m saying the price we gave up was steep. If we win I really don’t care how steep it was.

This implies if you don't win you do care. A trade being good or bad isn't conditional on future events.

4 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Whats so funny about that last part?  You know what the deals on the table were?

If you honestly think the only deals for relievers available require the trading of a top 5 prospect then you need to stop posting about baseball because you don't know anything.

23 minutes ago, mse326 said:

This implies if you don't win you do care. A trade being good or bad isn't conditional on future events.

If you honestly think the only deals for relievers available require the trading of a top 5 prospect then you need to stop posting about baseball because you don't know anything.

Ok?

If this is what Brad Hand got then why the hell didn't we float out BP pieces, Familia/Lugo or even Familia + Lugo to fill a major organizational need at catcher basically washes out to the same player, hell Familia is better than Hand, would have been a perfect move to make.

This just makes me more antsy and ready to flip if I don't hear rumblings, it pissed me off in 16'.

Brad Hand isn't even the best reliever the Padres have. To trade your best prospect for him is just short sighted and stupid which is compounded by the position Mejia plays. 

Nobody I've texted or talked too today think it's equitable. The ones who are tepid on it think the concerns about his framing are legitimate but still believe that you "let the kid figure it out", he's 22. You can't find 2 way production at Catcher anymore any time you even have the opportunity to have one you have to pull the trigger on him. 

47 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Are you seriously a mod with this type of condescending garbage?

I hated the trade but to post this to another poster is ridiculous. This isn’t NFL General or the old NBA forum.

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I hated the trade but to post this to another poster is ridiculous. This isn’t NFL General or the old NBA forum.

Yeah this isn't NFL General. "If it works out bad for them, it works out good for us" isn't gonna be left alone as a post that's going to be taken seriously. It's going to get destroyed, and it should be. Bring something more to the table, or go to a team thread.

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll admit I shouldn't have said he shouldn't post. That was overboard.

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Meh I’ve heard worse. Funny thing is the only thing I wanted to get across is how happy I am that we’ve improved ourselves to get further into the playoffs. 

Sounded kind of simple to me ??‍♂️

It's vacuous logic, suggesting that the absence of knowledge is the same as a correlation that this was an equitable offer from the Indians perspective. It's not an argument it's just "yeah but we don't know so this is probably the right answer" which is blind faith. Which is fine as a fan, but makes for pretty terrible debate and discussion.

Archived