TCMD - Forum Wide GM Mock Draft Discussion

ny92mike

So I've got one last thing to do to finish up the player database, which is working out the player's desired contract length.  Which basically prevents a team from offering a 5 year deal to a 40 year old player.  Players look to hang it up at different times and a lot of that is based on their position.

Here ia a list of the average of the top 3 highest years of exp for each position.  Help me out if you guys could with making adjustments to this list.

Exp. Pos.
8 34DE
7 34DT
9 34OLB
12 43DE
9 43DT
10 43OLB
10 C
12 CB
6 FB
10 LG
7 ILB
15 K
13 LS
14 LT
12 P
18 QB
10 RB
10 RG
8 RT
12 S
13 TE
11 WR

13 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

What I would like is if there was a way we could do a priority. Like only attempt contract B if contract A was not successful. That way we don't end up with someone signing two players when they really only wanted one. The Solder contracts of the world don't bother me. It's when Solder and another FA end up on a team with 3 starting LTs that bothers me. 

@LuckyNumber11  Would you be okay if the "plan B" used one of the current bids, as @mountainpd is suggesting?

11 hours ago, mountainpd said:

I like this as long as the team still only gets the same amount of bids each round. So if someone chooses to bid on 2 players of the same position then the reserve bid counts as one of their three still

17 hours ago, ny92mike said:

What about this suggestion?

In years past the rule for bidding on players was that you couldn't offer more than what you had in avail. funds.  So if you had 20 mil in cap, you could potentially offer 20 million per contract.

I'm suggesting we expand that rule to include all fa bidding contract, not to include reserve bids.  So if you have 20 million in avail. cap all 3 ufa and the 1 resign offer totaled cannot exceed that amount.

This would require me to work out the formula to give an exact cap number as you build each contract, but it can get done.  

Bump...

Need some input on this so that I can move forward with the build.

14 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Bump...

I think having only the exact amount of money you have under the cap is a bit too much in my eyes. I think only being able to go over a certain % of the cap would be a better way. Say you can max spent 5% to 10% over the cap gives just a little extra wiggle room to make sure you have a replacement locked up before you know for certain if you get a certain guy.

23 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

So I've got one last thing to do to finish up the player database, which is working out the player's desired contract length.  Which basically prevents a team from offering a 5 year deal to a 40 year old player.  Players look to hang it up at different times and a lot of that is based on their position.

Here ia a list of the average of the top 3 highest years of exp for each position.  Help me out if you guys could with making adjustments to this list.

Exp. Pos.
8 34DE
7 34DT
9 34OLB
12 43DE
9 43DT
10 43OLB
10 C
12 CB
6 FB
10 LG
7 ILB
15 K
13 LS
14 LT
12 P
18 QB
10 RB
10 RG
8 RT
12 S
13 TE
11 WR

I don't think there has to be something in place to prevent this. If someone wants to give a 5 year contract to a 40 year old he should be able too but he should know he will get criticism because of it.

23 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I don't think there has to be something in place to prevent this. If someone wants to give a 5 year contract to a 40 year old he should be able too but he should know he will get criticism because of it.

Disagree.

We can criticise the deal all we want but offering a 5 year contract to someone like Larry Fitzgerald by backloading the contract in my mind is gaming the system.  

This rule has been in place for at least a few years, and I don't plan to remove it.  Just looking to get thoughts on the probability of when a player would look to retire, based on the number of years they've been in the league.

34 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I think having only the exact amount of money you have under the cap is a bit too much in my eyes. I think only being able to go over a certain % of the cap would be a better way. Say you can max spent 5% to 10% over the cap gives just a little extra wiggle room to make sure you have a replacement locked up before you know for certain if you get a certain guy.

I'm good with extending that amount a little, as you mentioned allowing to go over by 5 to 10%.  I just don't think we should allow a team to make 3 or 4 offers that exceed their available cap by millions.

4 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Disagree.

We can criticise the deal all we want but offering a 5 year contract to someone like Larry Fitzgerald by backloading the contract in my mind is gaming the system.  

This rule has been in place for at least a few years, and I don't plan to remove it.  Just looking to get thoughts on the probability of when a player would look to retire, based on the number of years they've been in the league.

Yeah i agree its a bit gaming the system to do that. I don't know if there is a way you can really pinpoint that point where they are expected to retire. Especially considering the age at which a certain player got in the league and his injury history also play a big part in that.

Just now, ny92mike said:

I'm good with extending that amount a little, as you mentioned allowing to go over by 5 to 10%.  I just don't think we should allow a team to make 3 or 4 offers that exceed their available cap by millions.

Yeah with 5 to 10% extra you get depending on the cap number 9 to 20 million extra. I think the 10% is really the upper limit but having like 9-10 mil you can go over gives just that bit of extra flexibility without having to make some crazy cuts to make room because you didn't expect to win every bid.

Made an exc. decision on this because it's just too much to get everyone's opinion.  I'm hoping that we can get together after this mock is complete and have a discussion on what changes to make for next year.

Here are the numbers I used to determine the Max contract lengths for each player.

Exp. Pos.
8 34DE
9 34DT
11 34OLB
13 43DE
10 43DT
10 43OLB
10 C
13 CB
6 FB
11 LG
8 ILB
16 K
14 LS
15 LT
15 P
19 QB
11 RB
12 RG
9 RT
13 S
13 TE
11 WR

If the numbers above minus the players exp. was less than 1, I used 2.  If the number was greater than 5, I used 5.

Contracts are maxed out at 5 years, based on last years contract signings last year there was only a handful of contracts that exceeded 5 years.  I'm still going to allow 6 year deals for extending a player, basically if the players desired contract length is 5, you can extend that one year.  If its 2 then you can extend that to 3.

Last year there was some confusion on voided contracts, so unless the player retires.  Then I'm leaving it up to the team to decide whether they will retain the player using the generated APY values or if a base salary is already applied.

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

@LuckyNumber11  Would you be okay if the "plan B" used one of the current bids, as @mountainpd is suggesting?

As long as it applies to all free agents. I know that I would utilize this in free agency. Coming away with position's I want in free agency gives me a lot of flexibility for the draft which is what I want 

1 minute ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

As long as it applies to all free agents. I know that I would utilize this in free agency. Coming away with position's I want in free agency gives me a lot of flexibility for the draft which is what I want 

What do you mean by all free agents?

This would apply to the 3 UFA bids and the 1 resign bid.  

@EaglesPeteC

@Forge

We do you guys think we should spit out the sign up sheet?

Might be kinda hard to figure this out since we aren't sure which one to start first, gonna attempt to run two versions this year.  A reduced mock with single year fa bidding and the big one.

Not sure if this helps but I'm thinking of having the fa bidding rounds for the individual mock every other day or every 3rd day max with the draft starting the day after the combine.  Not sure where that would put us with a start date.  So maybe we need to figure that out first.  I'll have more time to work on this after the 24th of this month.

2 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Bump...

I don’t think you should be able to bid above your cap. Always presume you will win all bids and so bid for players accordingly. Think this suggestion is a no brainer

Archived