2018 Training Camp Thread

Woz

From other bits I am reading, Stroman showing some good things today. Quinn getting real looks as PR and KR. Vernon Davis is still a legit threat. Doctson looking good. 

No major injuries, I don't think, but there was an ankle issue from Payne that he limped off from. That has yet to be resolved. (probably not serious, or I hope not, obviously)

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:
Dunny was super close to picking this pass off. Nice ball by Alex and nice snag by Doctson.

I think the ball was a bit too far out in front ... don't think Doctson had control in bounds (looked like he stepped on the line when he actually caught it).

Just now, oldman9er said:

Paused it as he caught it at the sideline , and I am seeing clear 2 feet in. Was close, but he did make it 2 feet. 

When his feet are in, it looks like to me he doesn't yet have full control over the ball. Would be nice if Twitter allowed you to slowly advance the time, but no such luck. ;) 

Adonis Alexander had a good one on Richardson posted. He’s a big guy but he looks pretty fluid. He’s gonna be a hard guy to complete passes on when he learns to run these routes down the field for the receiver. Pretty solid hips though I’ve been watching a few VT games to break him down he def has early round talent. We will see though he is behind I’m sure with no OTA’s but I’m looking forward to see how camp unfolds. Pads will be on soon I’m sure we will start hearing more and more on position battles soon. I’m not shocked at Doc Payne or Guice. These guys are all very talented guys I believe in!!

16 hours ago, Woz said:

I think the ball was a bit too far out in front ... don't think Doctson had control in bounds (looked like he stepped on the line when he actually caught it).

I agree, when I looked at again I don’t think Doctson got his left foot inside the field of play, like you said it looked like it was on the line. Still pretty impressive effort all the way around especially since it’s the first day of camp between Alex & Doctson. Most importantly,  Doctson looked good running and cutting. And Also, Dunny had tight coverage. Promising all the way around.

7 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Adonis Alexander had a good one on Richardson posted. He’s a big guy but he looks pretty fluid. He’s gonna be a hard guy to complete passes on when he learns to run these routes down the field for the receiver. Pretty solid hips though I’ve been watching a few VT games to break him down he def has early round talent. We will see though he is behind I’m sure with no OTA’s but I’m looking forward to see how camp unfolds. Pads will be on soon I’m sure we will start hearing more and more on position battles soon. I’m not shocked at Doc Payne or Guice. These guys are all very talented guys I believe in!!

I just can’t imagine him leaping frogging our next 3 corners after Norman (Dunny, Scandrick and Fabs) unless he can excel in the slot, which I doubt because of his size, but I don’t know the answer to for sure.

21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m very intrigued by Settle. The reason he fell in the draft could be just a run stuffer who doesn’t offer much pass rush ability kind of like what’s happened to other 320 plus guys over the last few drafts; Elijah Qualls comes to mind from the 2017 draft.

Settle could end up being a steal for us if he can be that NT who is hard I move at the point of attack, even if he’s not a 3 down player or never plays in our nickel D which we play 70% plus of the time.

Tim Settle is pretty athletic and nimble for a guy his size. Was more than a run stuffer in college. 

Defensive tackle Daron Payne will miss two to three weeks after injuring his ankle during practice Friday. He'll be in a boot for the next week. Payne will start at nose tackle. Coach Jay Gruden said the absence won't hurt Payne much. "He's in great shape so it's not a big deal," Gruden said. "He's already very smart and knows the defense. He's in good shape."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41025125-4

Glad it doesn't seem serious, but it's disappointing nonetheless. I was looking forward to seeing him in action through August. 

Archived