Everything Pokemon Thread!

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Seems to have the completion aspect I look for in games like Spider-Man, Far Cry 4 I think and also some RPG elements and an open world.

RPG elements are minor. However the way the Dex works, its very completionist friendly. 

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

What makes this game different from other Pokemon games? Are the other ones not so open world? Or is this the only one I'd like?

The battle system is in the overworld, which I loved. There are no gyms but their are similar mcguffins to gather throughout the game. The whole idea around "trainers" isnt really a thing yet. Instead of pokemon being intergraded into society they are dangerous creatures we know very little about. This is BY FAR the most open world pokemon game ever. However, Scarlet and Violet are probably about to beat it. 

29 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, is there any drawback to using the same Pokemon all the time? I like a couple of them a lot, but some of these things look dumb and I hate them.

The only drawback is typing. Some types and moves are strong/weak against others. However you can pick your favorite, somewhat balanced, team and stick with it throughout. 

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, can any of the Pokemon you have die?

There is no permadeath 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, can any of the Pokemon you have die?

no, but if that's something you want there is a thing called the Nuzlocke Challenge

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nuzlocke_Challenge

It wouldn't really work as well for Arceus, but I'm sure someone has made an adapted ruleset.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

What makes this game different from other Pokemon games? Are the other ones not so open world? Or is this the only one I'd like?

The other games are more focused on leveling your pokemon and ascending as a trainer.
It's a fairly on the rails experience with paths town to town, you usually have to do something in each town and eventually fight gym leaders to get badges. Each Badge basically allows you to train increasingly higher level pokemon (they'll progress regardless, but they won't listen to you if you aren't as high as they are), and typically helps unlock the minor metroidvania element of going back and unlocking new areas in past places with new abilities. There is always an overarching story involving evil teams trying to do something, a legendary pokemon (or a few) is usually at the heart of a lot of it and is encountered later in the game. That increased a lot as the games went.

@Outpost31 to add on to what others have said, you will have a hard time going back playing older games after playing Arceus. There are a lot quality of life changes made in this game that are just not there in the past. For example, HMs (Hidden Moves). These are moves (attacks) that you would have to teach your pokemon in one of their 4 move slots, and they were basically permanent. These were needed to progress in the world (ex Surf to travel across water, fly to fast travel, strength to move big rocks). These have effectively been removed or made much easier as games have gone on, and Arceus is much easier and less annoying as well.

Adding to this, pokemon attacks/moves... pokemon learn then by levelling up and evolving, by using HMs or TMs (Technical Machine, like HMs, but you can remove these and they are typically more useful). Pokemon can know 4 moves at a time. There are many moves outside the normal level up moves the mon will learn, and you had to wait until you come across certain NPCs in the game and usually spend semi-rare items to learn them. For example, when starters level to their final form in the 30s, they unlock moves that the final stage evo can learn, but they "learned" them at level 1. You can't just use them right away, you have to find someone to teach them to your mon. So you have to go to this NPC and pay an item to learn that move. Think of this like a card game where you would have 4 cards (each representing an attack), and when you change moves, you rip the card up and have to go buy the card again if you want it back.

In Arceus, you have access on the go to change your pokemons move for free and instantly, and you can change it whenever you want. Think more like a card game where you get a card every time you learn a move, and you can just swap the cards out and choose 4 whenever you want. You can also learn new moves from these NPCs for a small cost. It is a MUCH better system, and it sucks going back (those of you who have played Sun and Moon and remember where the move relearner is will agree).

This ended up being way longer and probably less useful then I meant it to be, oops.

• Like 1

Okay, is there any reason to keep all these Pokémon or could I just release all my duplicates after I caught them? Like I have I think 13 Wiggly Pink Worm Puffs and 12 Raven Bird Gobblers.

The lack of organization with this might drive me nuts if I have to hold onto all of them.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Okay, is there any reason to keep all these Pokémon or could I just release all my duplicates after I caught them? Like I have I think 13 Wiggly Pink Worm Puffs and 12 Raven Bird Gobblers.

The lack of organization with this might drive me nuts if I have to hold onto all of them.

You pretty much only keep your best.  No reason to keep stuff you don't want/need.

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Keep the shinies and the alphas you catch, release the weak.

in past games you could organize the ones not in your party, don’t recall if that was a thing in Arceus.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You pretty much only keep your best.  No reason to keep stuff you don't want/need.

There are some specific missions where you might have to go back and re-catch, but yeah I release most of them. You also get the grit for releasing which is what strengthens your team

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

There are some specific missions where you might have to go back and re-catch, but yeah I release most of them. You also get the grit for releasing which is what strengthens your team

yea they incentivize releasing en masse to get that sweet sweet grit to pump up your favs. I am pretty sure you can mass select and release as well, but its been a hot minute since I played.