I really believe this Redskins team, is going to be special!

Regarding a couple comments in this thread:

1. Gruden and the FO said multiple times after this year's draft that they were all intent on recouping that 3rd round pick given away in the Smith trade (and it's clear they tried to recoup it by trading back in the 1st round, but no one was biting, so we waited until the last minute on the clock and drafted Payne higher than we wanted to).  I HIGHLY doubt they would have passed on Guice at our original 2nd round pick if they weren't so obsessed with getting back the 3rd they traded away.  So yes, in essence, the trade did end up being Fuller for Smith (and improving on our original 3rd round pick).

2. Fuller was OUTSTANDING last season.  He was rated as a top 5 CB by PFF in 2017, and it was definitely backed up by the film.  However, haven't we learned by now (especially as Redskins fans) not to get super hyped off of one outstanding season?  Fuller was rated as a bottom 5 CB by PFF in 2016.  The injury was likely a factor in his poor performance that year, but the point is that it's not like we've seen more than one year of Fuller balling out.  There have been plenty of CBs in this league (yes, even 2nd year CBs) who had the stars align for them in one season only to fall back down to earth for the rest of their careers.  I think we all need to pump the breaks on thinking we traded away the next great CB in the league.  Let's at least wait and see how he performs this year in KC before we start lamenting how much we gave up.

3. I have faith this team can win 10 games, but I don't think we have enough "blues" (to use a Scotty Mac term) on this roster to be legitimate SB contenders, especially considering how injury-prone the few blues we have are.  We have a crapload of "reds" though... more than we've had in a long time.

"I really believe this Redskins team, is going to be special!"

First off I would like to add, Sure hope so. However let's look at the teams that are favorites to make the playoffs. Realistically speaking you can say the Eagles, Rams, Saints, Falcons, Vikings and the Packers will be the favorites to make the playoffs. We are not on that list. So our chances don't look good on paper.  One of these teams could have to much adversity to over come injuries etc .As you know every yr we always have a surprise team. Hopefully that team will be us.

I really feel as well, having Alex Smith's mobility in the pocket is going to really extend plays for us this year.

It's going to give our "inexperienced" WR's more time to get open.

Pick up some 2nd & short or 3rd & short situations, that would have normally resulted in sacks.

This has huge ramifications, when you think about it.

Extended drives can result in Better TOP, better field position, resting the Defense, FG range, game momentum, etc.

How many games do we win last yr, from that aspect alone?

Eagles game wk 1?

Saints game?

I get I'm saying that little things like that, can be the difference of going 7-9 to 9-7.

we shall see...

I also hope we use a lot of 2-TE Ace sets in shotgun formation.

*------------***:***------------*

------------------*-------------------

Having Jordan Reed & Vernon Davis on the field would be big. I know they're not the best blockers in the world, but it puts the Defense on their heels.

With Alex in shotgun(or under Center) & Guice the lone back, lets us do a lot of things.

I hope to see this formation many times this yr. It's a good offensive set.

On 7/31/2018 at 11:04 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Regarding a couple comments in this thread:

1. Gruden and the FO said multiple times after this year's draft that they were all intent on recouping that 3rd round pick given away in the Smith trade (and it's clear they tried to recoup it by trading back in the 1st round, but no one was biting, so we waited until the last minute on the clock and drafted Payne higher than we wanted to).  I HIGHLY doubt they would have passed on Guice at our original 2nd round pick if they weren't so obsessed with getting back the 3rd they traded away.  So yes, in essence, the trade did end up being Fuller for Smith (and improving on our original 3rd round pick).

I see what you're saying, but I just disagree that it as a great strategy. To me it was more like the monkey with potato gun getting a bullseye at the fair.

Because it introduced an increase in risk where it didn't need to be introduced. (I deal with identifying and mitigating risks at work so this is a hot button for me)

It literally forced them to try a very dangerous risk during the draft. Yes. It worked out for them...this time. But I don't consider getting lucky to be a strategy that I want to be proud of. Nor emulate going forward.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

I see what you're saying, but I just disagree that it as a great strategy. To me it was more like the monkey with potato gun getting a bullseye at the fair.

Because it introduced an increase in risk where it didn't need to be introduced. (I deal with identifying and mitigating risks at work so this is a hot button for me)

It literally forced them to try a very dangerous risk during the draft. Yes. It worked out for them...this time. But I don't consider getting lucky to be a strategy that I want to be proud of. Nor emulate going forward.

I am in no way, shape, or form saying that it was a great strategy, or even a good one.  In fact, I think it was primarily done so that Bruce and co. could say they didn't really give up a 3rd for Smith in hindsight.  It's almost like they prioritized getting that 3rd back over drafting Guice, because I doubt they were even 50% sure he would still be there later in the 2nd.  That doesn't take away from the fact that it worked though, and that they lucked out to the point where they were able to recoup their 3rd and still get their guy in the 2nd.  

The point I was making is that the trade did end up being Fuller for Smith, risky (and idiotic) strategy or no.

27 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I am in no way, shape, or form saying that it was a great strategy, or even a good one.  In fact, I think it was primarily done so that Bruce and co. could say they didn't really give up a 3rd for Smith in hindsight.  It's almost like they prioritized getting that 3rd back over drafting Guice, because I doubt they were even 50% sure he would still be there later in the 2nd.  That doesn't take away from the fact that it worked though, and that they lucked out to the point where they were able to recoup their 3rd and still get their guy in the 2nd.  

The point I was making is that the trade did end up being Fuller for Smith, risky (and idiotic) strategy or no.

Gotcha. Then we agree 110% here. 

8 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

On point. Guice falling into their lap but just a great, lucky bonus.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

On point. Guice falling into their lap but just a great, lucky bonus.

Certainly agree 100%. It's unreal we still got "our guy".. Makes me wonder what Plan "B" was. Surely they didn't expect Guice to be there after the trade down. So ? Who would have been the choice ?

6 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Certainly agree 100%. It's unreal we still got "our guy".. Makes me wonder what Plan "B" was. Surely they didn't expect Guice to be there after the trade down. So ? Who would have been the choice ?

Ryan Anderson Trent Murphy someone not like Guice Collins or all the other great 2nd round guys we’ve not made priorities because the desire to trade back. I like extra picks as much as al of us!!! But for a Guice Landon Collins whatever I’m in the quality over quantity state of mind. Im glad Guice fell but I personally would have traded up for Landon because he was a top 10 guy on my board I remember getting crucified for thinking. As I did with Neal from Atlanta

23 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

I also hope we use a lot of 2-TE Ace sets in shotgun formation.

*------------***:***------------*

------------------*-------------------

Having Jordan Reed & Vernon Davis on the field would be big. I know they're not the best blockers in the world, but it puts the Defense on their heels.

With Alex in shotgun(or under Center) & Guice the lone back, lets us do a lot of things.

I hope to see this formation many times this yr. It's a good offensive set.

Been wanting that for a decade, I wouldn’t count on it.

I like the idea of having Reed as an HB or even lined up next to Smith with Thompson flanking the other side and Davis on the line of scrimmage - the Pats used to do this with killer Hernandez and Gronk - but we haven’t seen it much in the last decade. Not even when we had Cooley and Smoke dog Fred.

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Ryan Anderson Trent Murphy someone not like Guice Collins or all the other great 2nd round guys we’ve not made priorities because the desire to trade back. I like extra picks as much as al of us!!! But for a Guice Landon Collins whatever I’m in the quality over quantity state of mind. Im glad Guice fell but I personally would have traded up for Landon because he was a top 10 guy on my board I remember getting crucified for thinking. As I did with Neal from Atlanta

Yes, you and I were on the Landon Collins and Keanu Neal. They’ve been two of the best safeties since they were drafted, actually I think Collins may have been voted the best I saw for something. So yeah, chalk that up in the victory column! Lol 

There was an ESPN report on Chris Thompson (someone else can find & link it...my phone is acting up) about him not being completely healthy till around November.

If this is true, than I would expect him getting limited carries for probably 1/2 the season.

Which in turn would mean Guice maybe getting the bulk of the carries for the 1st 8 games or so. (probably good we have an early bye from this info).

This also tells me we probably carry at least 4 RB's on the roster at minimum. (Guice, Thompson, Perine & Kelley) and maybe a 5th, while listing 1 as a FB. Which I hope we do.

And if that's the case, then I think we will run the ball a whole lot more, than expected.

We also may only carry 5 WR's or 1 less o-lineman.

It's going to be interesting to see what we do with QB Hogan, since we traded for him. I doubt we can put him on the practice squad without him getting snatched up by Cleveland again or someone else.Because I don't think we carry 3 QB's.

But Gruden IS a QB, so who knows?

Either way, I'm expecting for this team/gruden to change philosophy & go run heavy for the majority of the season.

As I've said before....65/run vs 35/pass.
Maybe 60/40

Archived