Hard Knocks Discussion

Mind Character

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You’ve been wrong many times, I’m aware.

LOL...

All which you’re wrong about btw.

Not even close... lol

Just out of curiousity, what was the record of the second youngest team?

Now, we're talking...

It's actually cool to look at statistical data and run analysis like this on sites like

2017   https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/snap-weighted-age-2017-nfl-rosters

2016  https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/snap-weighted-age-2016-nfl-rosters

There are better places if you want to look at raw or batch data as well...

Well there's a few different ways to look at "age"...

#1.) Raw age in years (take the average, median.. mode...)...That means you add up the ages of everyone on the team then run a statistic

#2.) Raw age in years (take the average, median...etc..) of STARTERS... this statistic is more predictive of wins and losses from a statistical perspective than method #1

#3.) Status in the league (1st, 2nd, 5th..10th year)... then find mean, media.. mode

#4.) Status in the league ((1st, 2nd, 5th..10th year) of the STARTERS ...

--- another cool one to look at is the top 35 players (i.e., players that form the 2-deep and get snaps)

#5.) Status of in the league of critical positions (e.g., the Quarterback)... Or By Unite ... etc...

You can also flip it and look on the opposite extreme end of age.. like what teams are old everywhere

---------

Out of those methods to look at roter data... the most predictive is #4 (the starters) and #5 QB league year status.

It's then cool to look at Moderating/Mediating factors ... that is, those variables (players) who's presence can change outcomes...

Examples like: All Pro... Pro-bowl... Elite Players at Key impact positions (e.g., Quarterback... inside pass rusher... outside pass rusher... pass defender)...

-----------

To your question... The record for the 2nd team... 1-15... that teams name... the Cleveland Browns...

But if you're looking at non-browns teams... no team with a similar age/status index score in modern nfl history with the similar age/status composition of our roster has had more than 2 wins... when the QB is a rookie...

When you look at the Browns in terms of Starters and Raw age between 2016 and 2017... we were 32nd and tied for 31st in terms of age...

The only other teams in comparable situations that didn't have moderating factors of win-loss (not a rookie QB.. but no all pros.. no pro bowlers... or just 1 or 2)...those teams had Win-loss records of no greater than 3 wins total...

But Specifically, over the course of the last 2 years... the youngest team in terms of starters and raw score... was the 4-12 ...Rams... or the 3-13 Giants... of note...  the Giants had a hall of fame QB and all pro WR... the Rams had an All pro DT and RB...

But when you really look at how we compared with the losing records of past

Of note... compared to the average metric for youngest age.. historically our team last year whether it is raw score or looking at the starters was the youngest in the modern football era...

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Jesus I never realized this until now.

@Mind Characteris Donald Trump, confirmed.

You evil bastard...

how thy tongue of such foolery...

how dare ye group me in with such small hand charlatans... if your hands aren't bigger than 9 and 6/8th... the true leader of men Mayfield index.. you can't be my president...

@NudeTayne I'm a Never Ellipses person now... b/c of that post

4 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

LOL...

Not even close... lol

Now, we're talking...

It's actually cool to look at statistical data and run analysis like this on sites like

2017   https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/snap-weighted-age-2017-nfl-rosters

2016  https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/snap-weighted-age-2016-nfl-rosters

There are better places if you want to look at raw or batch data as well...

Well there's a few different ways to look at "age"...

#1.) Raw age in years (take the average, median.. mode...)...That means you add up the ages of everyone on the team then run a statistic

#2.) Raw age in years (take the average, median...etc..) of STARTERS... this statistic is more predictive of wins and losses from a statistical perspective than method #1

#3.) Status in the league (1st, 2nd, 5th..10th year)... then find mean, media.. mode

#4.) Status in the league ((1st, 2nd, 5th..10th year) of the STARTERS ...

--- another cool one to look at is the top 35 players (i.e., players that form the 2-deep and get snaps)

#5.) Status of in the league of critical positions (e.g., the Quarterback)... Or By Unite ... etc...

You can also flip it and look on the opposite extreme end of age.. like what teams are old everywhere

---------

Out of those methods to look at roter data... the most predictive is #4 (the starters) and #5 QB league year status.

It's then cool to look at Moderating/Mediating factors ... that is, those variables (players) who's presence can change outcomes...

Examples like: All Pro... Pro-bowl... Elite Players at Key impact positions (e.g., Quarterback... inside pass rusher... outside pass rusher... pass defender)...

-----------

To your question... The record for the 2nd team... 1-15... that teams name... the Cleveland Browns...

But if you're looking at non-browns teams... no team with a similar age/status index score in modern nfl history with the similar age/status composition of our roster has had more than 2 wins... when the QB is a rookie...

When you look at the Browns in terms of Starters and Raw age between 2016 and 2017... we were 32nd and tied for 31st in terms of age...

The only other teams in comparable situations that didn't have moderating factors of win-loss (not a rookie QB.. but no all pros.. no pro bowlers... or just 1 or 2)...those teams had Win-loss records of no greater than 3 wins total...

But Specifically, over the course of the last 2 years... the youngest team in terms of starters and raw score... was the 4-12 ...Rams... or the 3-13 Giants... of note...  the Giants had a hall of fame QB and all pro WR... the Rams had an All pro DT and RB...

But when you really look at how we compared with the losing records of past

Of note... compared to the average metric for youngest age.. historically our team last year whether it is raw score or looking at the starters was the youngest in the modern football era...

Incredible info.

Here was my research.

I Googled “youngest team kn the nfl 2017” (keeping the typo for accuracy) and got this.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2017-edition/

It said the 11-5 Rams were the second youngest.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Scheme that forces players on the field???huh

last year he ran a bend don’t break defense. Did you want him to run an aggressive style defense with that crap secondary.  The talent he had in the secondary really handicuffed what he could do. Add in injuries to Garrett and Collins. He didn’t have the greatest talent. 

You can’t put all that blame on the defense. A lot of times the defense couldn’t hold onto leads becuase the offense couldn’t stay on the field to allow the defense to rest for a bit. 

Sorry bad wording. I meant scheme that forces players to stay on the field longer because it keeps everything in front of you and  gives ups tons of yards until the redzone forcing the D to play more snaps.

And, you dont need to be aggressive, just dont play the DBs off 10 yards on 3 and 3-5 yards. And he had a safety 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage. He couldve afforded to play press cuz if a DB got beat well you have someone back there. I understand playing off if there was more aggression and safety blitzing/moving around. But that was never the case. 

Anyway you slice it, it was a bad defensive philosophy. 

But I will stand by this: Anyone who comes to Cleveland sports team and employs a strategy that predicates on the concept of 'dont break' should be fired immediately for mental incompetence. 

3 minutes ago, ohiogenius said:

And, you dont need to be aggressive, just dont play the DBs off 10 yards on 3 and 3-5 yards.

Exactly.  This is unnecessary and essentially a gimme first down for the opposing team. 

It’s no more absurd than lining up in a prevent defense on 3rd and 1 in the red zone. It’s the wrong alignment for the situation.

And he had a safety 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

I wish this was an exaggeration.

Anyway you slice it, it was a bad defensive philosophy. 

Oh yeah.

But I will stand by this: Anyone who comes to Cleveland sports team and employs a strategy that predicates on the concept of 'dont break' should be fired immediately for mental incompetence. 

Someone try to convince me this is wrong.

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Incredible info.

Here was my research.

I Googled “youngest team kn the nfl 2017” (keeping the typo for accuracy) and got this.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2017-edition/

It said the 11-5 Rams were the second youngest.

LOL...of course... you missed everything...

That doesn't really answer the question that even you asked.. for all the various reasons I described...

Check out those football outsiders links if you ever want to seriously look into it...

For the record, the 2017 LA team was older than the 2016 team.. and the Browns were over 2 times younger on the 53 than both those Rams teams roster wide...

There are teams that compare to Browns historically.. not the 2017 Rams... you can compare throughout the years if you're serious...

3 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Just was able to start to watch a Hard Knocks episode from 2017 - so conveniently. it wasn't blocked. F**K the greedy M**TH**F**KERS at HBO!

Or as they say, F**CK the stingy M*TH**F**KERS who refuse to pay for premium services but want to watch them for free!

Archived