Hard Knocks Discussion

Mind Character

I thought Hue did a decent job of coaching at the start of '16. We played a decent game against Maimi, Pryor helped out on offense and kessler played well. 
Towards the middle and end of the season he got worse and worse.

Last year, other than players playing hard I do not think that Hue did that much well. Our offense as many have mentioned, myself on othe occasion was fundamentally wrong. Wrong QB, wrong style of play. Wrong players getting snaps, ie Louis over Higgins. Not giving Crow the ball more, or running DJJ enough. th hue Jackson offense of 2017 could of been 100% better by doing so many little things better. 

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I thought Hue did a decent job of coaching at the start of '16. We played a decent game against Maimi, Pryor helped out on offense and kessler played well. 

Agreed, he was game planning well and customizing the scheme to the talent.  What happened?

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Towards the middle and end of the season he got worse and worse.

Last year, other than players playing hard I do not think that Hue did that much well. Our offense as many have mentioned, myself on othe occasion was fundamentally wrong. Wrong QB, wrong style of play. Wrong players getting snaps, ie Louis over Higgins. Not giving Crow the ball more, or running DJJ enough. th hue Jackson offense of 2017 could of been 100% better by doing so many little things better. 

And then there was the defense...

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed, he was game planning well and customizing the scheme to the talent.  What happened?

I wonder if that is when Hue decided it was Sachi fault? Or he stopped working as hard as he had been. 

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And then there was the defense...

in '16 we had twice fired Ray Horton. Just  a bad coordinator.

in 17 the biggest problem was Gregs angel and the off coverage. why play 10 yards deep on 3rd and 5?  

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Most powerful understatement of the day. 

Im of English decent. Everything is understated. 

During the Kuala Lumpur-to-Perth leg of British Airways Flight 9 on 24 June 1982, volcanic ash caused all four engines of the Boeing 747aircraft to fail. Although pressed for time as the aircraft rapidly lost altitude, Captain Eric Moody still managed to make an announcement to the passengers: "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

from wikipedia. 

I thought this episode was awesome. Starting with Corey right off the bat, I think this gif sums my thoughts up on the matter precisely:

giphy.gif

...And then the intensity from all the coaches was great. I think it was especially great to see it from Hue. A lot of people on these board knock him, and I believe he showed a side that some believed he wasn't capable of expressing.

But Todd Haley EASILY won the night. His fire was just spectacular. And I love that he told Jarvis to take him under his wing, but the best part was his rant on Carl, Oh man that was great.

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
19 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

We didn't want to settle for drives, we wanted to get chunk yardage. Yeah, we weren't winning with Kessler's style but we were in games. It was the smart move with the roster we had but Hue criticized Kessler's game at the half with a lead and often afterwards for being too safe and pulled him from games where we were competing.

We now have a Kessler on steroids (not literally) on our roster so we will see how that goes with Hue.

Loved this episode! Occurred to me how awesome this season of the show could be in the context of Baker's career, if he turns out to be a Brees, Brady, Manning-esque QB. How many of those guys have had their very first training camp and NFL play documented this way? Very special.

Coleman was trash. How you gonna be lazy, practice with little effort, and then have the gull to whine to the coach about not being with the one's??!! Trade me?! Ok. Now see how you do with Josh Allen spraying and praying a wildfire of bullets, just hoping one hits it's target. Good career choice, moron. If you brought effort here, and acted like a non-entitled professional, you would've had the opportunity to be a mainstay piece catching passes from TWO GOOD QBs! 

He makes me wanna choke slam Art Briles for lying about what a killer competitor Corey is. 

Callaway not saying a word about what happened that day at practice would be the part that pissed me off the most about his situation. How you gonna look at me and say everything cool, and then let me find out from the news? Oh, hell no. That being said, he manned up in the game, made some plays, showed a lil something.

Loved the coaches banter. Loved seeing Hue retrieve his balls from his purse and chew some rear. That being said, Todd Haley is a good candidate to replace him, if he gets canned.

Todd and Greg are TOO much alike, although Todd had a point when he said the defense lacked discipline. I can see that. Greg gets their engines revving, in a feeding frenzy, but that intense effort to penetrate and disrupt leaves creases and lanes for runners and smart offenses to exploit.

But, I love effort and intensity. Rather hafta tone it down than be stuck always trying to rev it up.

And lastly, I can handle the dinosaur nerdiness, but when Myles busted out the poetry, I wanted to yak! At least he showed Greg Robinson some teeth when Greg boohooed about Myles's bullrush. Didn't notice Greg get bulled around in the game. Maybe Myles motivated him to play with a lil sand.

Forgot: analytics guy gave me the impression that the stats guys don't want Dez. Dorsey gave me the impression that he does.

He's 30.

He's 29.

He's 29.7

Hadta be exact, didn'tcha?

:D

On an unrelated note, this is my 1,000th post. It's almost a bar mitzvah in a way; I feel like I'm finally a man. Now, to be fair, I have no clue what a bar mitzvah feels like, since I don't currently subscribe to that particular faith. So let's call this my formal, footballsfuture Quinceanera. With my new dress, I feel like the prettiest chicana in the room. :x yay for me!

Enchiladas for all mi amigo's!

13 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Forgot: analytics guy gave me the impression that the stats guys don't want Dez. Dorsey gave me the impression that he does.

He's 30.

He's 29.

He's 29.7

Hadta be exact, didn'tcha?

:D

On an unrelated note, this is my 1,000th post. It's almost a bar mitzvah in a way; I feel like I'm finally a man. Now, to be fair, I have no clue what a bar mitzvah feels like, since I don't currently subscribe to that particular faith. So let's call this my formal, footballsfuture Quinceanera. With my new dress, I feel like the prettiest chicana in the room. :x yay for me!

Enchiladas for all mi amigo's!

Here is to a 1000 more you quality jew-mexican-he-she.

Image result for leo champagne

@Fatgerman I think it was more concerning that the team is so strongly entertaining Dez in regards to Josh Gordon. They seem to be really pushing for Dez and it makes me think they know something else about Gordon that others dont when thinking about a realistic timetable for his return.

I dont think you go out and pursue Dez if you knew Gordon will be back in a week or two. I just dont see how Dez fits here with Gordon, Landry, Callaway, Higgins, Duke and Njoku all vying for targets. I just dont see the point unless you know Gordon is more like 2-3 months away and not 2-3 weeks.

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

@Fatgerman I think it was more concerning that the team is so strongly entertaining Dez in regards to Josh Gordon. They seem to be really pushing for Dez and it makes me think they know something else about Gordon that others dont when thinking about a realistic timetable for his return.

I dont think you go out and pursue Dez if you knew Gordon will be back in a week or two. I just dont see how Dez fits here with Gordon, Landry, Callaway, Higgins, Duke and Njoku all vying for targets. I just dont see the point unless you know Gordon is more like 2-3 months away and not 2-3 weeks.

Perhaps. If I had to bet, they have no clue what he will do, or when for that matter. But I could be way off base. You could totally be right.

I also wonder if the desire to beat expectations is involved. Maybe Dorsey and the boys are pulling out all the stops to damn well try and make the playoffs, and knock everyone's socks off. 

Maybe they're scared of depth problems. Hell, if Juice goes down tomorrow, we're looking at Higgins or Callaway being our number one receiver. Suddenly, maybe we're an underperforming team. Ouch.

I think nobody knows what is coming from Flash. The real hard work part of training camp ends after today. Suddenly, Dez is ready to start taking visits. Bashaud Breeland will suddenly make a decision...  The vets avoid training camp at all costs. I wouldn't be shocked if we hear rumblings of a Flash return right before Friday's game, or sometime over the weekend.

Then he'll make his triumphant return to the team, like Revis at the end of the last episode of Hard Knocks during the Jets season. I'm sure his PR people are all about it.

Remember, this is the same PR guys who last season wouldn't give Flash's whole story to Sports Illistrated because they wanted to milk it out slowly in several TV and print interviews. They also mentioned book and movie deals, of course after Josh has some big, triumphant, Blindside moment to signify the completion of his uplifting comeback story.

I know these rodents in PR. I wouldn't be shocked one second if this whole deal is to avoid training camp for Josh, and to play up the heroes return at the last hour angle. Like Han Solo suddenly reappearing and saving Luke's rear from Vader, so Luke can then throw a firecracker in the mailbox, aka, blowing up the Deathstar with a single shot9_9

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

Archived