Bears could be interested in trading too much for Khalil Mack

cooters22

Just now, Pool said:

That's what I'm expecting as well.

I added it too late for your quote, but I think the Packers will be different this year and attack the short to mid center of the field with Lewis and Graham.  Fans are focused on Graham, but Lewis is a better receiver than he appeared with his former team, and with Rodgers accuracy this will pose challenges for the defense.  The rush will get watered down as resources will need to be committed to dealing with huge targets in the center of the field.

As I said earlier in this thread. A lot easier for Pace to sell off future picks when he won't be around to make them if Trubisky doesn't end up working out. Dude knows his job was tied to the Trubisky pick, so why not go for broke. It's risky as hell, likely unwise, but if it works out then he'll get a comfy extension and Chicago will be sitting pretty in 2019+ with a good core group and a franchise QB

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's my point.  New GMs tend to get the benefit of the doubt, and optimism is there.  I mean, it's no different in the Packers forum where there are very few that are critical of Gute's moves.  Does that mean anything is actually different?  No, there's just a sense of optimism around.  My concern with the Bears hasn't been with their defense.  My concern with the team is with their offense, and I've been on record multiple times that I don't trust Trubisky to be anything more than an Andy Dalton-level of QB.  If you believe you can win with that level of QB play, by all means believe that.  I just think there's there a baseline level of QB play, and I don't think Trubisky is going to hit that.

Every team should improve from year-to-year.  There's a reason why I'm not talking about the CB position for the Packers like you are about the WR position.  They couldn't have been much worse.  It goes without saying they improved.  And I think you're overstating their OL production last year.  Last year, PFF ranked the OL 11th in the NFL with Josh Sitton.  They've moved on from Josh Sitton, and they drafted James Daniels so they're probably a middle of the pack OL this year.  That's not a bad thing, but not something I'm thumping my chest over.

At the end of the day, their future is tied to Trubisky.  If he turns out to be as good as they think they he is, the Bears are going to be contending for the playoff spot.  If you think he's going to be bad, the Bears are going to be kicking themselves for making this move.  If you're like me and think he's an Andy Dalton-level of QB, you're probably a bit hesitant to make an opinion one way or the other.

It is far too early to make any judgments on Trubisky. Last year we saw him in a severely handicapped offense. Run Run Pass. Run Run Pass. It was stupid. Starting WR's of Bellamy (now our 6th string WR), Kendall Wright (unemployed), Dontrelle Inman (unemployed), Tanner Gentry (unemployed), Kevin White (injured in the 3rd game I believe), and Cam Meredith (injured in preseason). It is hard to be successful or look successful under these circumstances but Trubisky still had his moments. We really still have no idea if he will be good or not. But he did improve as the season went on and that gives me hope. 

Just now, Pool said:

It is far too early to make any judgments on Trubisky. Last year we saw him in a severely handicapped offense. Run Run Pass. Run Run Pass. It was stupid. Starting WR's of Bellamy (now our 6th string WR), Kendall Wright (unemployed), Dontrelle Inman (unemployed), Tanner Gentry (unemployed), Kevin White (injured in the 3rd game I believe), and Cam Meredith (injured in preseason). It is hard to be successful or look successful under these circumstances but Trubisky still had his moments. We really still have no idea if he will be good or not. But he did improve as the season went on and that gives me hope. 

What is the word on the street in Chicago?  Will White finally stay healthy this year?

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

What is the word on the street in Chicago?  Will White finally stay healthy this year?

Doubtful :P But we're all pulling for him. He really seems like a good kid who has just had some really bad luck. He had a nice route against Scandrick in the preseason that have gotten him a little bit of hype. We'll see how it goes.

4 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

As I said earlier in this thread. A lot easier for Pace to sell off future picks when he won't be around to make them if Trubisky doesn't end up working out. Dude knows his job was tied to the Trubisky pick, so why not go for broke. It's risky as hell, likely unwise, but if it works out then he'll get a comfy extension and Chicago will be sitting pretty in 2019+ with a good core group and a franchise QB

Pace is signed through 2021 so we've got 3 seasons to see if this all works out. It is risky but to some extent the stars did align just right. They had the cap space and they really don't have any glaring holes left on the team. I think they (and I) feel comfortable rolling out this roster for the next 3 years and seeing how it all plays out.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

McCarthy doesn't help his tackles though.  Why don't people remember this?  He doesn't help his tackles even if he's got Don damn Barclay in there. 

We keep our RB's in to block. I think we chip too. If MM ignores Mack, thats on him

@Pool you’re a smart guy and a loyal Bears fan.  Good on you.  I think you make some legit points, and I’m not sleeping on the Bears this year - I think they’ve definitely improved the talent on the team, and as others have stated, much of their success will hinge upon what kind of second year progression we see in Trubisky.

That being said, what I don’t like is that your posts are keeping this thread alive.  It needs to die a spectacular and abrupt death, or at the very least, slip quietly into oblivion.  That is all, and I wish both teams an injury free and entertaining season.  

12 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

McCarthy doesn't help his tackles though.  Why don't people remember this?  He doesn't help his tackles even if he's got Don damn Barclay in there. 

That's why this isn't about Mack, Arodgers or Trubisky. It's about Bulaga.  If Bulaga is healthy and stays healthy the Packers have the OTs to handle both the Bears and the Vikings.  Mack WILL destroy the Minnesota OL though.  Cousins is the new Cutler.

10 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

That's why this isn't about Mack, Arodgers or Trubisky. It's about Bulaga.  If Bulaga is healthy and stays healthy the Packers have the OTs to handle both the Bears and the Vikings.  Mack WILL destroy the Minnesota OL though.  Cousins is the new Cutler.

Spot on. Take a look at this thread, Bulaga handled Mack the only time they have played. Bulaga and Bakh's health will have a big say in how this year goes. 

Archived