Music vs TV

Tetsujin

To me, and millions of others, it seems like music has gotten drastically worse over the years. (I'm only 34, but prefer 60's-70's music)

You might say that those who think this do so because they're an older group of people. However, this same older group of people would generally agree that TV has gotten WAY better in the past 10 years and blows away much of what came before it.

As for movies, I think they're overall the same quality, more or less. The special effects are certainly better, but the writing hasn't gotten noticeably better in quality. However, in TV, the writing has certainly gotten a lot better.

I guess the question is "A large swath of people who thinks music downright sucks compared to their youth, or today's youth who favor older music, can acknowledge that TV has gotten WAY better but music hasn't. Does this lend credence to the idea of today's music objectively sucking compared to yesteryear?"

I'd say movies have gotten worse than anything else over time.  There's no originality in movies, less risks, less actual storytelling.  Everything in movies is either big budget simplified plots, and the indie movies are all pretentious.  If I had more time I'd go into a great long diatribe about it, but I don't. 

With music, there's so much more opportunity for musicians.  There is great music out there and there are bands and musicians for literally every taste, and an abundance.  You just have to look for it.

With television, it's the same.  HBO is the pinnacle of television because of HBO.  Network television hasn't changed at all for the past 30 years. 

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'd say movies have gotten worse than anything else over time.  There's no originality in movies, less risks, less actual storytelling.  Everything in movies is either big budget simplified plots, and the indie movies are all pretentious.  If I had more time I'd go into a great long diatribe about it, but I don't. 

You can still find a lot of original films that take risks...its like music ..just have to look for it

Just now, August4th said:

You can still find a lot of original films that take risks...its like music ..just have to look for it

True, but the quality is poor.  It's exponentially cheaper to make quality music than it is to make quality movies.  Somebody could record a symphonic rock ballad in their garage these days that sounded good enough to listen to.  Ain't nobody making an epic science fiction fantasy on a shoestring budget. 

Also, I contend that no, you don't just have to look for great films.  You can find great stories in the independent/low budget movie category, but you really can't find great quality movies produced on a small budget.  I'm hampered by my dislike of drama, so I'm biased, but there are no truly inspiring independent movies. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

With television, it's the same.  HBO is the pinnacle of television because of HBO.  Network television hasn't changed at all for the past 30 years. 

Network television is pretty brutal. The big ones basically hang everything on police procedurals (look at how long Law & Order, NCIS, CSI all last...hell, isn't NCIS going on like 30 years now?), medical dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Anything that shows some variation tends not to last very long in my experience. Pushing Daisies. Wonderfalls. Firefly. Obviously a few others. 

The CW probably does the best job of giving niche shows and off center shows a chance to be somewhat successful and last overall. The 100 never makes it past it's first season on any of the other stations in my opinion. Not sure Jane the Virgin would have either. 

Both are down on originality. But the movie industry has gotten wiser on putting out more consistent coherent plots.

Music artists now days though, especially the main stream ones are so fake you don't actually know whats original about them. You're not sure who writes their own stuff, who doesn't get help from autotuning, they use dozens of DJ's on their albums, I mean I truly think main stream music artist's today are what major actor's and actresses were back in the day when Hollywood was young. Where producers will simply pick someone they think is hot, then turn them into a star with lessons everywhere from fashion, to singing, to speaking, etc. I mean it's just so damn fake.

12 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

people that say music is worse now are just lazy or dont have interest in finding good music

Of course you can still find good stuff, but mainstream music OVERALL today is definitely worse, IMO.

For Tv, there are a few beautiful islands within a huge ocean of garbage.

For music, there are a few trash islands in the middle of a gigantic beautiful serene ocean.

Old heads dislike the modern music scene mostly because rock music is essentially dead [or at least on life  support].

TV seems better because those few morsels of quality are easily accessible and still chosen for you.

3 hours ago, animaltested said:

For Tv, there are a few beautiful islands within a huge ocean of garbage.

For music, there are a few trash islands in the middle of a gigantic beautiful serene ocean.

Old heads dislike the modern music scene mostly because rock music is essentially dead [or at least on life  support].

TV seems better because those few morsels of quality are easily accessible and still chosen for you.

You don't think the Top 100 shows over the past 5 years are considerably better than the 100 best shows of the 90's?

And it's not just rock music that's leaving. Soul and R&B seemed to have taken a massive nosedive in quality over the decades.

On 8/15/2018 at 10:34 AM, freak_of_nature said:

I guess the question is "A large swath of people who thinks music downright sucks compared to their youth, or today's youth who favor older music, can acknowledge that TV has gotten WAY better but music hasn't. Does this lend credence to the idea of today's music objectively sucking compared to yesteryear?"

No. There really isn't any such thing as objective quality when it comes to something like music. It's inherently subjective. So no, it doesn't objectively suck compared to before.

TV. 

For TV shows, I have not had satelitte/cable for a year and a half so I don't know about anything there. As for local shows. There are a few good sitcoms (BBT, Goldbergs) but a lot of them seem to be rehashes or reboots. I don't really care about the voting/competition shows. Crime shows like Criminal Minds are cool as well as American Ninja Warrior. 

The Music today is outside of a few songs here and there is pretty dreadful. It seems like it does not have the same heart it use to have and with that auto tune crap they have nowadays. I would pin point the mid-2000's when music really began to dive. I can listen to anything before 2005 and that includes the ragtime and classical era. 

Archived