Preseason week 2

RaidersAreOne

Just now, BigMountainGoat said:

Precisely, bad accuracy CAUSED by his footwork. So the guy has improved the issue you criticise for, and still trash him.....

I guess you might feel that way if you didn't bother to read any of the posts I've made in this thread on Allen. And then there's the fact that I didn't boil his accuracy issues down solely to his footwork. If you're going to continue to misrepresent what I said, I'm not interested in discussing anything with you.

5 hours ago, megatechpc said:

So sacking the QB is now a penalty is it?  The NFL is doing everything they can think of to ruin this game and at the rate they are going, nobody is going to be in the stands or watching at home in 10 years.  Why not just put the QB's in red jerseys during the games and make it illegal to touch them?  Hell, why not just outlaw defense altogether?  We can all just sit around and watch offenses throw 80 yard TD's to undefended receivers all day, cuz everybody just wants to see TD's amirite?

My only hope at this point is that these stupid penalties will not be called in the regular season (or at least no where near as often as we are seeing in the preseason thus far).  There really will be no legitimate winners this year if they call games the way they are because the SB champs will just be the team that the NFL favored with less penalties.  I want to watch the games played on the field, not decided by referees and rules committees. 

But hey, the NFL will finally catch on that this kinda crap is unacceptable once the ratings drop about 50%...

Maybe it was just a bad call?

Besides, it’s not the first time a roughing penalty has been thrown on a sack, so this isn’t necessarily indicative of how the new rules will be applied.

What about the NFL’s attempts to reduce serious head injuries to players do you not like?

37 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I guess you might feel that way if you didn't bother to read any of the posts I've made in this thread on Allen. And then there's the fact that I didn't boil his accuracy issues down solely to his footwork. If you're going to continue to misrepresent what I said, I'm not interested in discussing anything with you.

I directly quoted you?

You had an issue with his accuracy, he has worked on the widely reported cause of his accuracy.

21 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Maybe it was just a bad call?

Besides, it’s not the first time a roughing penalty has been thrown on a sack, so this isn’t necessarily indicative of how the new rules will be applied.

What about the NFL’s attempts to reduce serious head injuries to players do you not like?

The game of football is based entirely upon hitting your opponent and getting him to the ground, hopefully preventing him from advancing the ball or even taking it away from him.  That is the entire, fundamental premise of the sport when boiled down to its essence.  If you are unwilling to accept the inherent risk of serious injury (any kind of serious injury) that could occur due to physically slamming into your opponent to win the game then you should not be playing it.  It’s not like there was some super secret conspiracy to hide the fact that playing a tackling sport could result in serious injury; everyone has known that all along, at every single level of football (I played in HS way back in 1993-1996 and my parents had to sign a waiver that explicitly stated that participation in the sport “could lead to serious injury or death”) and everyone that has ever played the sport has acknowledged that risk and volunteered to play anyway.  No NFL team has ever kidnapped a guy off the street and told him he had to play football.

So, given that the risks are known and that the players have accepted said risks (and are highly compensated for it), I don’t understand the need to fundamentally change the sport to something that IS NOT FOOTBALL in the name of some nebulous and ill-defined ideal of increasing player safety.  If you want safety then shut the whole damn thing down.  Otherwise, let the guys who voluntarily signed up for it play the sport.  Believe me, playing professional football is far, far, FAR from the most dangerous job people do on a daily basis so why all the fake outrage and indignation all the sudden?  Seems to me like the more they change the rules for “safety” the more often players are getting hurt.  

1 hour ago, BigMountainGoat said:

So you didn't watch it from the angle a QB sees it.....?

If you think the QB can't see the position of the safety or the CB's leverage, you've never played the sport. He missed it.

1 hour ago, BigMountainGoat said:

I directly quoted you?

You had an issue with his accuracy, he has worked on the widely reported cause of his accuracy.

You directly quoted a small portion of my post. You conveniently left out the part about pre-snap reads, and you conveniently ignored that I didn't reference his footwork because I don't chalk his accuracy issues solely up to his footwork. Hell, the guy is still missing badly on too many routine passes.

1 hour ago, megatechpc said:

The game of football is based entirely upon hitting your opponent and getting him to the ground, hopefully preventing him from advancing the ball or even taking it away from him.  That is the entire, fundamental premise of the sport when boiled down to its essence.  If you are unwilling to accept the inherent risk of serious injury (any kind of serious injury) that could occur due to physically slamming into your opponent to win the game then you should not be playing it.  It’s not like there was some super secret conspiracy to hide the fact that playing a tackling sport could result in serious injury; everyone has known that all along, at every single level of football (I played in HS way back in 1993-1996 and my parents had to sign a waiver that explicitly stated that participation in the sport “could lead to serious injury or death”) and everyone that has ever played the sport has acknowledged that risk and volunteered to play anyway.  No NFL team has ever kidnapped a guy off the street and told him he had to play football.

So, given that the risks are known and that the players have accepted said risks (and are highly compensated for it), I don’t understand the need to fundamentally change the sport to something that IS NOT FOOTBALL in the name of some nebulous and ill-defined ideal of increasing player safety.  If you want safety then shut the whole damn thing down.  Otherwise, let the guys who voluntarily signed up for it play the sport.  Believe me, playing professional football is far, far, FAR from the most dangerous job people do on a daily basis so why all the fake outrage and indignation all the sudden?  Seems to me like the more they change the rules for “safety” the more often players are getting hurt.  

Are you familiar with the concussion lawsuit?

Is it acceptable to you that players develop severe, debilitating brain injuries, due to poor form tackling? The only thing that the new rules legislate out the game is bad tackling and plays which excessively endanger your opponent.

Given that the implications of concussions are now more properly understood and could seriously reduce the number of kids taking up the sport, do you not believe that enforcing stricter rules on tackling to reduce the risk of brain injuries is best for the long term survival of the sport?

What do you consider the most dangerous jobs? Have there been rule changes in those industries to make it safer for the people doing those jobs?

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I have NFL Game Pass overseas here. I'm glad all they have on the commercial breaks is an NFL shield stating the game will return shortly. At least in the preseason.

In the regular season it's the same 4 or 5 commercials over, over, and over again. Strangely though, I like that better. After a while it all just becomes white noise. 

Aren't we supposed to have an option where we can select redzone to turn on, once the game we watch goes to commercial (just butchered the engrish language there)

18 minutes ago, Danand said:

Aren't we supposed to have an option where we can select redzone to turn on, once the game we watch goes to commercial (just butchered the engrish language there)

My version gets RedZone at any time. Along with any game live. I know the domestic version doesn't do live games though.

58 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You directly quoted a small portion of my post. You conveniently left out the part about pre-snap reads, and you conveniently ignored that I didn't reference his footwork because I don't chalk his accuracy issues solely up to his footwork. Hell, the guy is still missing badly on too many routine passes.

I quoted a piece and commented on it, it wasn't convenient to remove the pre snap read bit, it was because the 2 aren't linked and I wasn't referencing it

No, I never claimed you said it was about his footwork. You said the issue was accuracy. A wide range of NFL experts said a major cause of that is his footwork, which has been addressed.

58 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

No, I never claimed you said it was about his footwork. You said the issue was accuracy. A wide range of NFL experts said a major cause of that is his footwork, which has been addressed.

I’m not all that familiar with Allen, but footwork isn’t just something you fix in 1 offseason.  At least not if Allen’s was/is as bad as y’all are implying.  Even if it looks better in practice, it is likely he’d regress back to his old habits once the speed of the game gets faster vs actual teams

24 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I’m not all that familiar with Allen, but footwork isn’t just something you fix in 1 offseason.  At least not if Allen’s was/is as bad as y’all are implying.  Even if it looks better in practice, it is likely he’d regress back to his old habits once the speed of the game gets faster vs actual teams

It hasn't regressed so far against actual teams.

15 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

It hasn't regressed so far against actual teams.

In the preseason.  

But I could be wrong and if so, kudos to his QB coach.  Correcting someone’s footwork (that was apparently terrible) in a single offseason, with a rookie at that, would be extremely impressive. 

Archived