Preseason week 2

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Have you seen how Flacco has looked this offseason? The hype for Lamar Jackson has been the opposite of a bad thing. This was an important benefit that those of us who really wanted Lamar Jackson talked up pre-draft. 

The healthy and extra-motivated Flacco is one of those training camp fluff narratives that everyone actually should be taking seriously. 

I don't buy this extra-motivated narrative. His work ethic has never been questioned, neither his toughness. Injuries the past couple of years could/should be the main knock on him and his performance, but now he is healthy he looks better.

Nevertheless, the point I tried to make is, that the media hyping up Lamar Jackson to something he is not and trying to push him into a starting role when he is clearly not ready is something which could potentially ruin his career before it begins. If he gets to sit and learn as almost everyone in the draft process till now believe he should, without the noise from especially the media, I believe that would benefit him in the long run.

15 minutes ago, Danand said:

I don't buy this extra-motivated narrative. His work ethic has never been questioned, neither his toughness. Injuries the past couple of years could/should be the main knock on him and his performance, but now he is healthy he looks better.

Nevertheless, the point I tried to make is, that the media hyping up Lamar Jackson to something he is not and trying to push him into a starting role when he is clearly not ready is something which could potentially ruin his career before it begins. If he gets to sit and learn as almost everyone in the draft process till now believe he should, without the noise from especially the media, I believe that would benefit him in the long run.

It's a narrative that is very much real. You really think the drafting of a first round QB doesn't affect Flacco - or any QB in that situation - at all?

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

That is the level-headed/measured response. But no, I actually DO believe in the extra-motivated narrative. 

As I said before the draft in my take-Lamar rants, Flacco needed the push. It's not that Flacco's work ethic is bad; he absolutely would have been called out by the coaches/vets if it was. But it's not outstanding. You need to be a little psycho to put in the work you keep up with the guys like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilsons... Flacco seemed to always do enough to be in good shape, but it never seemed like he went above and beyond in terms of putting extra work. More like a regular person who used his time off to spend time with his family, instead of a hypercompetitive athlete with the pressure of a 100M contract and the expectations of millions of fans. That super bowl run (fairly) bought him a lot of time with the pressure dampened. 

We are really just guessing what someone's work ethic, but I believe there were on-field signs that Flacco wasn't keeping up. Consistent slow starts to the season, before the offense finishing much stronger at the end suggests that he DID need to put in more work with his receivers or in the playbook. He also seemed to lack urgency early in games, not pushing for first downs and playing safe until we were down multiple scores, and THEN the ball starts moving. Also, what's really up with with being better in the playoffs? Logically that shouldn't be a thing, unless you AREN'T giving 100 percent in the regular season. In terms of talent (size, athleticism, arm strength, accuracy) Flacco is top-tier so really if he has health and great work ethic, he should be way up there.

TLDR: there are many levels between a bad work ethic, and one that the elite QBs have, and Flacco was somewhere in the middle, IMO.

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

When has he ever looked this good? He barely got on the field in preason games last off-seasonand every report all last off-season was about how the offense was getting dominated by the defense.

So I actually went back and looked at his stats for every preseason game since 2012, and it looks like he changes from bad to good every year (just going on stat scouting). 2013 and 2015 he was bad statistically, and 2014 and 2016 he was good. So idk. I just don't really recall ever watching Flacco in preseason and ever being concerned about his play. Regardless, I certainly hope this carries over into the regular season.

30 minutes ago, Danand said:

Uhhhhh yes it absolutely has been questioned. You don't get Flacco's laziness in his footwork, mechanics, decision making and overall play with a tremendous work ethic.

15 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

That is the level-headed/measured response. But no, I actually DO believe in the extra-motivated narrative. 

As I said before the draft in my take-Lamar rants, Flacco needed the push. It's not that Flacco's work ethic is bad; he absolutely would have been called out by the coaches/vets if it was. But it's not outstanding. You need to be a little psycho to put in the work you keep up with the guys like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilsons... Flacco seemed to always do enough to be in good shape, but it never seemed like he went above and beyond in terms of putting extra work. More like a regular person who used his time off to spend time with his family, instead of a hypercompetitive athlete with the pressure of a 100M contract and the expectations of millions of fans. That super bowl run (fairly) bought him a lot of time with the pressure dampened. 

We are really just guessing what someone's work ethic, but I believe there were on-field signs that Flacco wasn't keeping up. Consistent slow starts to the season, before the offense finishing much stronger at the end suggests that he DID need to put in more work with his receivers or in the playbook. He also seemed to lack urgency early in games, not pushing for first downs and playing safe until we were down multiple scores, and THEN the ball starts moving. Also, what's really up with with being better in the playoffs? Logically that shouldn't be a thing, unless you AREN'T giving 100 percent in the regular season. In terms of talent (size, athleticism, arm strength, accuracy) Flacco is top-tier so really if he has health and great work ethic, he should be way up there.

TLDR: there are many levels between a bad work ethic, and one that the elite QBs have, and Flacco was somewhere in the middle, IMO.

I don't necessarily disagree that a new QB can be a motivating factor, but you make a lot of assumptions about Flaccos work ethic that we can't really say anything about as we don't know.

I just give him being healthy more credit for his current form rather than we drafted a player at the same position. It still has some influence but I don't put the same weight to it as most guys around here.

19 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So I actually went back and looked at his stats for every preseason game since 2012, and it looks like he changes from bad to good every year (just going on stat scouting). 2013 and 2015 he was bad statistically, and 2014 and 2016 he was good. So idk. I just don't really recall ever watching Flacco in preseason and ever being concerned about his play. Regardless, I certainly hope this carries over into the regular season.

Uhhhhh yes it absolutely has been questioned. You don't get Flacco's laziness in his footwork, mechanics, decision making and overall play with a tremendous work ethic.

Instead of looking at stats, look at the games.

And you make a lot of assumptions based off what you see in footwork and mechanics.

7 minutes ago, Danand said:

Instead of looking at stats, look at the games.

And you make a lot of assumptions based off what you see in footwork and mechanics.

If I wasn't at work and had like an hour of free time I might go back and watch Flacco's performances from each preseason game. But it was at least telling to notice a statistical pattern in his play and whether or not his preseason stats line up with how he plays in the regular season. It seems at least in 2014 his statistical play was carried over.

Lazy footwork and lazy mechanics are a direct result of a bad work ethic. That is not even debatable.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I don't necessarily disagree that a new QB can be a motivating factor, but you make a lot of assumptions about Flaccos work ethic that we can't really say anything about as we don't know.

I just give him being healthy more credit for his current form rather than we drafted a player at the same position. It still has some influence but I don't put the same weight to it as most guys around here.

Anytime you are talking about intangibles, you are guessing, but I already gave some reasons why I have questions about the work ethic. It's also rare for any person to have the consistent work ethic and dedication to the craft of the consistently elite QBs.

I don't think health and motivation is an either/or situation. The difference in health and how he is moving around is obvious.

Archived