Preseason week 2

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Well if he can turn a mistake into a TD then I think the kid will be pretty freaking good... Not sure what the big deal is. Allen avoided a rusher and kept his eyes in the end zone to a open receiver... It's that simple. If you see an open receiver you throw it to him. 

This is the totally wrong mindset to have.

Besides with Allen's arm strength and mobility he can get away with things that majority of other QBs can't. The TD he threw against Panthers is prime example. That throw probably would be an INT for 99% of QBs... Triple covered goes against everything you learn but his arm strength he was able to fit it in a very narrow window for a TD.

Which isn't something you want to encourage once he starts facing real defenses.

The presnap reads will come with time and experience. Besides it's the 2nd preseason game. McDermott last year said he doesn't do any preparation except for 3rd preseason game that he treats as a dress rehearsal. Allen will have plenty of time to learn and gain experience in that department with Nathan Peterman surprisingly breaking out this off-season.

You hope. For me, that's not something I want to be hoping comes from time and experience.

I think most people's biggest concern with Josh was his footwork. It was mine. His footwork led to somebody his accuracy problems. Throwing off your back leg for example is never a good thing... Always leaves to INT and accuracy is terrible. Allen has been working on his footwork since predraft process. In the senior bowl you could tell that he improved on his footwork a bit  Our GM Brandon Beane mentioned that his footwork needed to get better and I believe it was McDermott that at beginning of training camp that his footwork is much improved... And that play right there is the evidence. Sidesteps a defender and moves up into the pocket an delivers a strike. So for me that play shows that he is improving... You can't improve all parts of your game at once. It's a process and this just shows that he is making strides so early in his career.

My biggest concerns with Allen were his bad accuracy and major issues with pre-snap reads.

59 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Were you born the last time the Rams won a playoff game?

Not only was he born the last time we won a playoff game, he was born the last time we won a Super Bowl. Were you born the last time the Jaguars won the Super . . . oh.

Archived