Preseason week 2

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

That is a fact for sure Norwell was a monster on the O-line.   He's the 1 guy i wanted the Falcons to somehow have the money to get but we couldn't afford it.

When I watched clips of Norwell, he was saving Kalil so many times.

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not sure why Washington would have any need to compare Smith to mahomes or feel like he needs to do what mahomes does? It's not like they had an either or choice and took Smith? 

I guess it's more along the lines of KC saying "And that's why we were willing to trade him despite the year Alex had". And then Bruce responding, so he doesn't feel buyer's remorse after getting Alex...when he really should have just kept Cousins. 

3 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Josh Freakin Allen.... That was some awesome pocket mobility. 

3 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

kid will be good. 

I might be wrong, but I'm assuming y'all are talking about the TD? That play actually displays one of the biggest concerns I have for Allen:

Allen completely blew the pre-snap read on this play. Look at the defense. Offensively, it's a 3x1 formation. At the top of the screen, he has 3 receivers and 3 defenders. The defenders are playing the receivers straight up. He makes the right call to motion in the HB to assist in pass protection. However, when he does that, watch the CB at the bottom of the screen. He moves and takes outside leverage. With the single-high safety over the middle shaded toward that side of the field, it should tell Allen that Streater is being doubled. There's no reason for Allen to look that way after the snap. He should be looking to the trips side of the formation. If he does, he has two options for a quick throw: the drag route to the TE or the flat route to the slot WR. The slot WR throw is the tougher throw because his timing has to be perfect or else he risks a pick-six. The throw to the TE is less risky but still a tight window.

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I might be wrong, but I'm assuming y'all are talking about the TD? That play actually displays one of the biggest concerns I have for Allen:

Allen completely blew the pre-snap read on this play. Look at the defense. Offensively, it's a 3x1 formation. At the top of the screen, he has 3 receivers and 3 defenders. The defenders are playing the receivers straight up. He makes the right call to motion in the HB to assist in pass protection. However, when he does that, watch the CB at the bottom of the screen. He moves and takes outside leverage. With the single-high safety over the middle shaded toward that side of the field, it should tell Allen that Streater is being doubled. There's no reason for Allen to look that way after the snap. He should be looking to the trips side of the formation. If he does, he has two options for a quick throw: the drag route to the TE or the flat route to the slot WR. The slot WR throw is the tougher throw because his timing has to be perfect or else he risks a pick-six. The throw to the TE is less risky but still a tight window.

Dude, pre-snap reads are literally the LAST thing to worry about with a rookie QB playing in his second preseason game ever as a pro.  At this point in his career (basically step zero) the main things you want to see are ball protection, athletic talent (can he make all the throws and pocket mobility), accuracy with his throws, and mental toughness.  That's it.  Reading NFL defenses, making pre-snap reads, adjusting to defensive schemes, etc are literally the last things to expect from a rookie so early in his career and are learned skills that take time and experience.  Right now you are looking mostly at instincts, ability, and situational awareness, and in those categories this particular play is exactly the kind of thing you want to see out of Josh Allen.  Its largely irrelevant in terms of whether or not he will ever amount to anything in the league as a QB, but it is something to build upon and proves he can make plays at this level.

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Damn. Mahommes to Hill toasted Atlanta. About 70 air yards. 

Lol, I'm a Falcons fan and I couldn't tell you who any of the three guys covering him on that play are!  I get it, its a nice throw for a long TD completion but believe me, its not a play that would've happened against Trufant, Allen, and Neal.  I just looked up the guys that were covering and they are all third-stringers (#6 CB. #3 SS, and #3 FS).  Let's not blow things out of proportion here (like everyone always does during preseason).  Mahomes proved he has a big arm and that Hill is very fast, both of which we already knew.

2 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Dude, pre-snap reads are literally the LAST thing to worry about with a rookie QB playing in his second preseason game ever as a pro.  At this point in his career (basically step zero) the main things you want to see are ball protection, athletic talent (can he make all the throws and pocket mobility), accuracy with his throws, and mental toughness.  That's it.  Reading NFL defenses, making pre-snap reads, adjusting to defensive schemes, etc are literally the last things to expect from a rookie so early in his career and are learned skills that take time and experience.  Right now you are looking mostly at instincts, ability, and situational awareness, and in those categories this particular play is exactly the kind of thing you want to see out of Josh Allen.  Its largely irrelevant in terms of whether or not he will ever amount to anything in the league as a QB, but it is something to build upon and proves he can make plays at this level.

Not to get into your guys' little debate here but just to point out a couple of things here.

Pre-snap reads...you're right. That comes with time, preparation and film study and is something that is part of the learning process. HOWEVER, not being able to look your safeties off the pre-snap in this this particular situation is very concerning considering how easy it should have been for him.

Pre-snap, Allen had a stacked right, 3x1 with a motion and his coverage following him with no movement from the D-line. The outside corners were also playing tight and mirroring each WR (none of them had their bodies facing towards or away from the QB) - all of this indicated single high(safety), man-coverage across the board. 

So now you have a 3x1 man-coverage and your first priority is to use your eyes to draw that safety away from the intended play-side direction. In this case, that play-side direction was to the left side. So his first pre-snap look should have been to the stacked side(or right side) but instead his first look was directly at the intended play-side direction instead of looking the saftey off beforehand.

That's not just a rookie mistake. Given the situation, things like that should have already been acknowledge and processed by now. 

37 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Dude, if I can spot that, a NFL QB should be able to spot it. It wasn't a complicated look. What's going to happen when defenses start to make it hard on him? Mental acuity is what makes or breaks QBs at the NFL level. 

Lol, yeah you can spot that... while sitting on your couch and watching multi-angle replays.  You and I both know that if you were actually under center in an NFL game (your second one ever) you would be crapping your pants and not reading crap.  There are some things that just take time and experience for any QB to master and you shouldn't expect to see savvy, veteran mental acumen in a guy's 15th ever play in the NFL.  The important thing at this stage is that he made a good play regardless of what you think he missed.  He threw a TD pass for God sake, ya'll acting like it was a pick-6!

4 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Lol, I'm a Falcons fan and I couldn't tell you who any of the three guys covering him on that play are!  I get it, its a nice throw for a long TD completion but believe me, its not a play that would've happened against Trufant, Allen, and Neal.  I just looked up the guys that were covering and they are all third-stringers (#6 CB. #3 SS, and #3 FS).  Let's not blow things out of proportion here (like everyone always does during preseason).  Mahomes proved he has a big arm and that Hill is very fast, both of which we already knew.

Hill is the fastest player in the league he can outrun anybody. Including Falcons Starters.

they probably wouldn't have given up on the play though. But 69 air yards? That's Rodgers level arm strength. Most people would never think a QB could reach that far.

Archived