2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

4 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

Brian burns seems to be all over the place on big boards. Some of the well respected members over in the draft forum are really cold on him. 

That's because he's a one-dimensional player. He reminds me too much of Aaron Maybin for my liking and FSU pass rushers haven't had a good track record lately. I like him better than Maybin but is that really saying much? My next guy up after Allen is Montez Sweat. He's a lot more well-rounded and while Burns is an athlete, Sweat is even more athletic. We'd be guaranteed to get one of him, Quinnen, or Allen if we traded back to 6. I'm liking the Giants trade a lot more than the Redskins one right now. I'd rather 6 & 17 than a bunch of future picks and players. Hoping the board falls like this:

1. ARI: Kyler Murray

2. SF: Nick Bosa

3. NYG (via NYJ): Dwayne Haskins

4. OAK: Quinnen Williams (although I feel like they'd go edge here. Maybe they'd do something stupid and take Rashan Gary)

5. TB: Devin White

6. NYJ (via NYG): Josh Allen or Montez Sweat

Raiders and Bucs are our biggest wild cards. They both have holes all over so I could see either team going a number of directions. Only thing about a trade down that bugs me is we could potentially lose out on both Allen and Sweat and be forced to take Q. We'd still have a massive hole on D.

13 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

That's because he's a one-dimensional player. He reminds me too much of Aaron Maybin for my liking and FSU pass rushers haven't had a good track record lately. I like him better than Maybin but is that really saying much? My next guy up after Allen is Montez Sweat. He's a lot more well-rounded and while Burns is an athlete, Sweat is even more athletic. We'd be guaranteed to get one of him, Quinnen, or Allen if we traded back to 6. I'm liking the Giants trade a lot more than the Redskins one right now. I'd rather 6 & 17 than a bunch of future picks and players. Hoping the board falls like this:

1. ARI: Kyler Murray

2. SF: Nick Bosa

3. NYG (via NYJ): Dwayne Haskins

4. OAK: Quinnen Williams (although I feel like they'd go edge here. Maybe they'd do something stupid and take Rashan Gary)

5. TB: Devin White

6. NYJ (via NYG): Josh Allen or Montez Sweat

Raiders and Bucs are our biggest wild cards. They both have holes all over so I could see either team going a number of directions. Only thing about a trade down that bugs me is we could potentially lose out on both Allen and Sweat and be forced to take Q. We'd still have a massive hole on D.

That will work, I  think this new Giant management might make that move to move up. The old Giant management would have sit tight at 6 and hope the QB they want would drop to them. But who knows?

58 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

That will work, I  think this new Giant management might make that move to move up. The old Giant management would have sit tight at 6 and hope the QB they want would drop to them. But who knows?

New Giants management traded their best skill player ever and drafted a RB, a great one albeit, at 2 when a franchise QB was there.

I put nothing past that organization right now.

38 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

New Giants management traded their best skill player ever and drafted a RB, a great one albeit, at 2 when a franchise QB was there.

I put nothing past that organization right now.

It was a dumb idea to trade OBJ and just as dumb to take Barkley.... but OBJ isn't the giants best player ever.

20 hours ago, rampantjet said:

I really don't think Baker or Murphy are worth the #15 pick in the draft... for completely different reasons.  Baker because the worst kept secret is that he was a terrible interview and is lazy as hell, apparently he did 0 prep for the combine, he just isn't coachable and is a bit of a punk.  Murphy is a good player but he is kind of strictly a zone guy which we aren't going to play, and to be honest zone CB's just aren't valued as highly as they are easier to find and less is asked of them.

I am not aware of Baker's terrible interview.  He prepared badly for 40 yard time but he was solid at everything else at the combine. He had solid Pro day.  He has questionable characters so it is possible that he is a punk but I hope it is just immaturity. 

Murphy may be better suitable to zone coverage in long term but he surely can play all kind man coverage. 30 inch arm length may present a problem, somewhat. 

Keep it in mind, I won't pick either over Garrett Bradbury or Clelin Ferrell.  For the 15th selection, I can see a few teams have no problem to jump ahead of Jets to take Bradbury and Ferrell.

6 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

Brian burns seems to be all over the place on big boards. Some of the well respected members over in the draft forum are really cold on him. 

Burns offers the most rushing moves in 2019 NFL draft class but he played that way at 230-235. At 249, he held speed and athleticism incredibly well but he will be tested in strength when he plays at weight of 252-255 during the rookie season.  Coming out of NCAA, he has one major problem that prevents him from a NFL pass rusher. It is strength. That means he may need some seasonings to get comfortable in power contest.  It is not an issue for Jets under Gregg Williams.

26 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I am not aware of Baker's terrible interview.  He prepared badly for 40 yard time but he was solid at everything else at the combine. He had solid Pro day.  He has questionable characters so it is possible that he is a punk but I hope it is just immaturity. 

Murphy may be better suitable to zone coverage in long term but he surely can play all kind man coverage. 30 inch arm length may present a problem, somewhat. 

Keep it in mind, I won't pick either over Garrett Bradbury or Clelin Ferrell.  For the 15th selection, I can see a few teams have no problem to jump ahead of Jets to take Bradbury and Ferrell.

The only other 2 things Baker did was bench and Broad.  He benched 14 which i could do right now and i haven't benched in 5 years, and his broad was sub 10'.  37th percentile in 40, 43rd in bench, and 26th in broad, not great.  

I don’t expect us to make a trade until draft day. Not like last year where we clearly were ok with 3 of the QBs. If a team is trading up for a QB this year it’s bc they love that guy. Not 3 guys. They will have to make sure that the the 2nd pick doesn’t get traded away for a QB before they move a ton of valuable picks to maybe not get their guy.

• Like 1