2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

I can see us taking Quinnen if Bosa is off the board, can see Gregg pounding the table for him and using him as our “NT” but he be more like a moveable piece across the DL.....Saying this I’d rather us take Allen

1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

I can see us taking Quinnen if Bosa is off the board, can see Gregg pounding the table for him and using him as our “NT” but he be more like a moveable piece across the DL.....Saying this I’d rather us take Allen

If we get Q and have Jenkins and Luvu on the edge, Mac needs to get canned 

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Good article and I agree with the traits being pointed out too.

Just to show some though that think agility means everything though, here's the list of the best 3 cone drill guys in combine history.

Jeff Maehl

Buster Skrine

Scott Long

Dane Sanzenbacher

Dan Sorensen

Terrance Tolliver

Devon Cajuste

Chykie Brown

Leon Hall

Chris Rainey

Its not exactly an all star list. So quickness isn't exactly everything at positions like CB and WR. Other traits for sure mean more.

You need to have some talent. Hall was a 1st rounder and played 12 years. Three others were 5ths and the rest went undrafted.. imo the quickness is more for slot/nickels where it is important but anything around 7seconds should be good enough

10 hours ago, SDotNova said:

At this point, I can't see any Jets fan disagreeing with you. I was all about Q but I assumed we were going to at least get 1 edge. Our edge situation is awful and won't get better at this point. It has to be Allen, Bosa, or trade back. I actually like Burns as much as I like Allen. So, he's up there for me. But he seems to be left out of that elite category 

Yeah I think we’ve not addressed the position in so long that we’ve all become used to it now. 

How we’ve come away from FA (as it stands now) with no top pass rusher when so many hit the market is nothing short of disastrous. 

Drafting Q-Will would be the ‘Jets’ thing to do though so I’m already expecting it.

It’s like having a Lamborghini and Ferrari in the driveway but living in a drug den and then having the option of a brand new Rolls Royce or a mansion on the beach somewhere. Knowing our track record we’d take the car. 

So sick of smoke and mirrors to generate pressure; I want a four man pass rush that when the game is on the line can get that sack/strip fumble/pressure and allow us to put more men in coverage. 

Ansah - Anderson - L.Williams - Bosa/Allen

Thats a four man pass rush that can get home when needed; and it’s still attainable. Come on Mike get that chequebook out. 

Edited by xenajets
  • Like 3

Lets be honest though the best pass rusher in the NFL is Aaron Donald and he plays on the inside.  Add to that the top 3 sack leaders were all interior pass rushers.  Danold, Watt, Jones.

If you think Q can be a 15 sack guy then does it really matter that he plays inside?

• Like 1

I'm all for Q. He's as much as a pass rushers as Bosa and Allen. The way I see it, any of the 3 will get us to where we need to be. Q gives us an Aaron Donald type, Bosa gives us Jared Allen, and Allen gives us Von Miller. We're a total project on defense so any of them would give us what we need to build a real identity around. If we land 1 of these 3, I'm gonna be happy.

We are really in a great spot.  One of the big 3 will drop to us but more likely 2 of the 3.  If a team blows us away for Haskins we can move out of 3 for a big haul.

We either get a great cornerstone defensive piece or a great haul so it's win win as I see it.

Draft Q - Great interior pass rush play more 3-3 nickel with Anderson, Q, Leo on the DL

Draft Bosa - Play more 4-2 nickel with Bosa, Anderson, Leo, Jenkins on DL with Mosley, Williamson at LB

Draft Allen - Play more hybrid 3-4 with Anderson, McClendon, Leo on DL and Allen, Mosley, Williamson, Jenkins (LB)

41 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Lets be honest though the best pass rusher in the NFL is Aaron Donald and he plays on the inside.  Add to that the top 3 sack leaders were all interior pass rushers.  Danold, Watt, Jones.

If you think Q can be a 15 sack guy then does it really matter that he plays inside?

But the odds are big time stacked against an interior guy consistently being a 10-15 sack guy. Q is no where near as quick as Donald. And I don’t really care about his combine numbers. I’m talking about watching them play. Q is Leo IMO. Not Donald or Watt

42 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But the odds are big time stacked against an interior guy consistently being a 10-15 sack guy. Q is no where near as quick as Donald. And I don’t really care about his combine numbers. I’m talking about watching them play. Q is Leo IMO. Not Donald or Watt

While I agree he's not Donald he's also about 20 pounds heavier so clearly won't be the same athletically.  I don't see him ever being a 20 sack guy but I see no reason he can't be a force inside and give you 10-12 sacks while being an elite run defender.  If Leo ever steps it up sack wise having two interior guys that can get you 10+ sacks is not a bad thing to have.  

29 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

While I agree he's not Donald he's also about 20 pounds heavier so clearly won't be the same athletically.  I don't see him ever being a 20 sack guy but I see no reason he can't be a force inside and give you 10-12 sacks while being an elite run defender.  If Leo ever steps it up sack wise having two interior guys that can get you 10+ sacks is not a bad thing to have.  

I just in no way possible seeing him make sense for us with Leo, Anderson and Shepard here. He really shouldn’t even be a choice unless Bosa and Allen go 1,2

Bosa or Allen fill a larger hole for our defense than Q does.

However, i think Q will be a better player than Allen.

As of now, if Bosa is there at 3 id take him. If not, id prefer to trade down and simply amass picks.

I think both Q and Allen are great but i see Bosa as a once in a generation type of prospect. And yes, i do think hes better than his brother lol. 

Edited by KodiakThunder

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I just in no way possible seeing him make sense for us with Leo, Anderson and Shepard here. He really shouldn’t even be a choice unless Bosa and Allen go 1,2

I see Q as a NT in this scheme which is why he does make sense.  Gregg wants his DL to 1-gap and penetrate.  Anderson, Q, Leo would be the DL.  McClendon is 33 on a 1 year deal and Shepard is just depth behind Anderson/Leo.  Not saying that's what I want but Q is a fit and fills a need as well without taking snaps from Anderson/Leo.

Could easily see those 3 on the DL with Mosley (MIKE), WIlliamson (SAM) and Lee (WILL) being the nickel defense with WIlliams blitzing from all over the place with the LB core, Poole from the slot or Adams from safety.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have Allen but Q is the best player in this draft.  He is a 10+ sack guy with elite run defense.  You can build a defense around him.