2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I have to see how these guys shape their body types and speed and agility. On the surface I say No to guys like Ferrell and Gary bc they are big DEs. Now if we switch to a 4-3 base I’d be more inclined to like them. But we have to see our staff 1st. Why I say I have to wait and see is bc it appears Gary has already tried losing weight to make him faster. Ferrell might do the same. I’ll see them work out and then judge if I feel they’re worth the 3rd spot.

Yeah I think everything will be more clearer when we announce our coaches and get a better understanding on schemes etc.

Ferrell has compared himself to Aldon Smith (minus the offfield troubles) and he’s someone I always wished we had when he was on fire 

9 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

He's a huge reach at 3. Would rather Jonah or Quinnen Williams.

Would you really want another dlineman at #3 though? 

Some have said Jonah projects as a guard which I wouldnt be thrilled about drafting so high.  

Edited by xenajets

2 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Some have said Jonah projects as a guard which I wouldnt be thrilled about drafting so high.  

Jonah is a pure tackle and he's a damn good one. Very consistent play in and play out and would also help the run game. And no preferably I don't want a d-lineman but Quinnen is the best talent in this draft. 

39 minutes ago, xenajets said:

What’s the thoughts of going Clelin Ferrell at #3 if Allen and Bosa are fine and the trades down for look appealing? 

I’d be cool with it has great get off/first step and has played with his hand in the dirt and standing up at Clemson, would rather trade down but he would definitely help our pass rush problem

Just now, xenajets said:

I really don't want to see this team reach for a player at 3. Exhaust all efforts to trade down and if push came to shove, yes, I would take Quinnen Williams. 

That being said, there should be a market for our pick and it wouldn't shock me if the Jets accepted a below-market offer (similar to the Raiders-Dolphins trade in 2013) to add something extra. One of these QBs will rise, and given that this draft has only 3 truly elite prospects (Bosa, Williams, Allen), I can't see ARI or SF moving down. 

With the Jets at 3, teams will inquire about hopping the Raiders. Oakland can easily get out of Carr's contract, whether its in 2019 or later, and until they don't select a QB everything they say about Carr is lip service (see Flacco-Jackson 2018). 

8 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Jonah is a pure tackle and he's a damn good one. Very consistent play in and play out and would also help the run game. And no preferably I don't want a d-lineman but Quinnen is the best talent in this draft. 

If that’s the case and hed be a ‘damn good one’ for the majority of Sams career then surely he’s the pick to make. As I said Iv not had chance to watch much college game film this year due to having two small babies so im a little behind this year in truth. Thanks for your input. 

4 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I’d be cool with it has great get off/first step and has played with his hand in the dirt and standing up at Clemson, would rather trade down but he would definitely help our pass rush problem

That’s good to know as I’d love to get some top tier talent in FA/trades on offense then draft our pass rusher at #3.

1 minute ago, xenajets said:

If that’s the case and hed be a ‘damn good one’ for the majority of Sams career then surely he’s the pick to make. As I said Iv not had chance to watch much college game film this year due to having two small babies so im a little behind this year in truth. Thanks for your input. 

Only thing is he's not the meanest player. You won't be confusing him for Taylor Lewan any time soon. 

I don’t see Jonah as a pure OT, he’s solid all around but I don’t believe he’s worth a top 10 pick, if we were to take a chance on a OT I’d tak Jawaan Taylor from UF has the athleticism you look for in elite LT’s and has shown elite pass blocking skill

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I really don't want to see this team reach for a player at 3. Exhaust all efforts to trade down and if push came to shove, yes, I would take Quinnen Williams. 

That being said, there should be a market for our pick and it wouldn't shock me if the Jets accepted a below-market offer (similar to the Raiders-Dolphins trade in 2013) to add something extra. One of these QBs will rise, and given that this draft has only 3 truly elite prospects (Bosa, Williams, Allen), I can't see ARI or SF moving down. 

With the Jets at 3, teams will inquire about hopping the Raiders. Oakland can easily get out of Carr's contract, whether its in 2019 or later, and until they don't select a QB everything they say about Carr is lip service (see Flacco-Jackson 2018). 

I’m with you I don’t want us drafting a player just because it’s a need now as in five years things could look a lot different. Imagine passing on Williams and he turns into Aaron Donald and we draft a sub par LT or WR just because it’s a need now. I can’t see Macc doing that to be fair as he’s proven to take the best player overall with his first pick. 

1 minute ago, xenajets said:

That’s good to know as I’d love to get some top tier talent in FA/trades on offense then draft our pass rusher at #3.

34 or 43 my hope is we double dip(Sign 1 in FA and Draft 1 @3) to fix the 2nd biggest problem we’ve had in the past 10 years

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Only thing is he's not the meanest player. You won't be confusing him for Taylor Lewan any time soon. 

If his skill set is good enough he doesn’t have to be a bruiser. I imagine if he’s a cool calm type personality it would mesh better with Sam anyway. 

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

34 or 43 my hope is we double dip(Sign 1 in FA and Draft 1 @3) to fix the 2nd biggest problem we’ve had in the past 10 years

Yes definately. We have the money to make things happen this year. So critical for Macc to get it right. At lest this year (unlike many offseasons in our life time) we have the franchise qb in place to lure talent here. 

5 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I don’t see Jonah as a pure OT, he’s solid all around but I don’t believe he’s worth a top 10 pick, if we were to take a chance on a OT I’d tak Jawaan Taylor from UF has the athleticism you look for in elite LT’s and has shown elite pass blocking skill

He absolutely is a LT and very much a top 10 pick. He's as consistent as they come, gets the job done play in and play out and is always fundamentally sound. He's been great since high school, simply put he's a LT. Only negative on him is his arms look short but he wouldn't be the first or last to get it done on the blindside with short arms. Good mechanics and strength compensate for that. He's great in the run game too, he moves very well and can get to the second level. Very high floor player.

Edited by jetjuice