2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Shrine graded out better than there’s guys before he was a FA and he didn’t pan out really. I don’t want to see us make the same mistake again.

Not necessarily true. Skrine was a guy who was young and had potential. We signed him with that projection in mind. Also, the cornerback market was thin that year (Revis was only considering us and NE, Cro wasn’t highly sought after). 

Parry Nickerson, I think, is very comparable to Skrine (similar body types, skill-set, playing style). I’d rather he be our 4th corner than our 3rd. 

20 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Not necessarily true. Skrine was a guy who was young and had potential. We signed him with that projection in mind. Also, the cornerback market was thin that year (Revis was only considering us and NE, Cro wasn’t highly sought after). 

Parry Nickerson, I think, is very comparable to Skrine (similar body types, skill-set, playing style). I’d rather he be our 4th corner than our 3rd. 

I'm not against signing a CB. I just don't want us to miss out on offensive talent bc we're signing DL, CB and Edges with all our money. That's not the side of the ball we need a ton of help at. Given our draft spot and the top notch talent it looks like we go D with our 1st Rounder. So it will be absurd to spend our FA money on defense and then use the 3rd pick on D as well. Leaving Darnold with poor weapons everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm not against signing a CB. I just don't want us to miss out on offensive talent bc we're signing DL, CB and Edges with all our money. That's not the side of the ball we need a ton of help at. Given our draft spot and the top notch talent it looks like we go D with our 1st Rounder. So it will be absurd to spend our FA money on defense and then use the 3rd pick on D as well. Leaving Darnold with poor weapons everywhere.

While I agree that we need to allocate money towards weapons, you don't not sign Bryce Callahan because of Parry Nickerson.  

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

While I agree that we need to allocate money towards weapons, you don't not sign Bryce Callahan because of Parry Nickerson.  

We should have enough money to have this be a non-issue regardless though.

Players I plan to check out this offseason: 

Derwin Gray, Maryland/ Kendall Baker, UGA / Jawaan Taylor, Florida / Chuma Edoga, USC ( Development tackle) / Liam Eichenberg, ND / Sean Rawlings, Ole Miss

Kirvonte Benson, Georgia Tech / Rodney Anderson, Oklahoma

Darrin Hall, Pitt / Parris Campbell, Ohio State

Rashan Gary, Michigan / Winovich, Michigan / Jaylon Ferguson, L Tech / Kenny Willekes, Mich St. / Porter Gustin,USC / Oshane Ximins, Old Dominion / Shreef Miller, Penn St. / Khalil Hodge, Buff / Shaq Quarterman, Miami/  Amani Oruwariye, Penn St. /  Joejuan Williams, Vanderbilt 

There is a lot of hype surrounding Jawaan and could very well be in the mix for #3 if he capitalizes from it during the combine. 

17 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Believe it or not, Dennard is actually a slot corner. Either way, you have the right idea: the Jets should be aggressive in signing the top slot/nickel corner. Replacing Skine with a body that can actually dominate in the slot, as that is becoming the hardest position to cover in the NFL. It sounds like Tru will be here next year and you can have an open competition for that other outside spot. 

Callahan, Dennard, and Justin Coleman are the top options on the open market. 

Didn't know that about Dennard thought he was a boundary CB.  Like you said slot needs to be a priority in FA and all those guys seem like good replacements for Skrine.

8 hours ago, Rich51 said:

He had a good preseason but week 17 was his only playing time. Johnson, Claiborne, Roberts and Skrine ate up about 90% of the CB snaps.  I agree with @Bobby816about Nickerson being able to play the slot but I also think with his 4.3 speed he could play outside. The potential of both Jones and Nickerson has me believing that CB is not an urgent need or at least not one to spend a ton of money on.

Nickerson was pretty bad this year and Jones barely played enough to get a good read on him even though his week 17 was a good sign.

Slot is a need.  Can't go into next season with Nickerson as the slot CB.

4 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Players I plan to check out this offseason: 

Derwin Gray, Maryland/ Kendall Baker, UGA / Jawaan Taylor, Florida / Chuma Edoga, USC ( Development tackle) / Liam Eichenberg, ND / Sean Rawlings, Ole Miss

Kirvonte Benson, Georgia Tech / Rodney Anderson, Oklahoma

Darrin Hall, Pitt / Parris Campbell, Ohio State

Rashan Gary, Michigan / Winovich, Michigan / Jaylon Ferguson, L Tech / Kenny Willekes, Mich St. / Porter Gustin,USC / Oshane Ximins, Old Dominion / Shreef Miller, Penn St. / Khalil Hodge, Buff / Shaq Quarterman, Miami/  Amani Oruwariye, Penn St. /  Joejuan Williams, Vanderbilt 

There is a lot of hype surrounding Jawaan and could very well be in the mix for #3 if he capitalizes from it during the combine. 

Jawaan could definitely be in the mix

2 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Jawaan could definitely be in the mix

Just watched the tape against Kentucky. Amazing. He matched up against Josh Allen 6 times and won 5 of them. The QB released the ball to quick on one of them. Once when he got his hands on defenders, they weren't moving. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Just watched the tape against Kentucky. Amazing. He matched up against Josh Allen 6 times and won 5 of them. The QB released the ball to quick on one of them. Once when he got his hands on defenders, they weren't moving. 

Do you think he can play LT?  If so, he has to be your top choice. He crushes Jonah Williams in physicality and athleticism.  Many scouts don't think both can play LT at next level. LG and RT are their best position for NFL as of now.  I heard Taylor keeps improving, skill-wise and that made me curious about him.  If he is suggestively said to be able to play LT. We have to shut up and get him.  Personally, I don't like to draft T who may or may not stick at LT that high.   Dion Dawkins and Cordy Glenn have similar question mark but they have been doing good at LT as both were taken in 2nd round.

Does Taylor have a college degree?  I hope because he should be invited to Senior Bowl to audition himself at LT.

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, he’s a bull

51 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Do you think he can play LT?  If so, he has to be your top choice. He crushes Jonah Williams in physicality and athleticism.  Many scouts don't think both can play LT at next level. LG and RT are their best position for NFL as of now.  I heard Taylor keeps improving, skill-wise and that made me curious about him.  If he is suggestively said to be able to play LT. We have to shut up and get him.  Personally, I don't like to draft T who may or may not stick at LT that high.   Dion Dawkins and Cordy Glenn have similar question mark but they have been doing good at LT as both were taken in 2nd round.

Does Taylor have a college degree?  I hope because he should be invited to Senior Bowl to audition himself at LT.

I've only watched one game so far, but his skills are legit. He was moved to LT towards the end of the season. After what I saw, it's hard for me to imagine him not being able to make the transition. I have to see more tape. He moves so well for his size. The biggest knock is that his PFF grade was only 79.5 run blocking and 78.7 in pass. So I have to see why his numbers weren't higher. He could have been playing out of position. Jonah has 89.8 run blocking & 85.4 pass. 

2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I've only watched one game so far, but his skills are legit. He was moved to LT towards the end of the season. After what I saw, it's hard for me to imagine him not being able to make the transition. I have to see more tape. He moves so well for his size. The biggest knock is that his PFF grade was only 79.5 run blocking and 78.7 in pass. So I have to see why his numbers weren't higher. He could have been playing out of position. Jonah has 89.8 run blocking & 85.4 pass. 

PFF is a joke

Just now, rickyt31 said:

I don't use them for any final decisions, but it lets me know I need to watch more than 1 game before crowning a player. 

I do like Taylor a lot though. He is crazy athletic for his size and I think he can definitely play LT in the NFL

Archived