2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

Just now, jetjuice said:

I do like Taylor a lot though. He is crazy athletic for his size and I think he can definitely play LT in the NFL

Yeah and the great part is that we wouldn't have to rush him in camp because he'll sit behind Beachum. Then he'll take his job during the preseason. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Yeah and the great part is that we wouldn't have to rush him in camp because he'll sit behind Beachum. Then he'll take his job during the preseason. 

As of right now, he could start at LG and then replace either Beachum or Shell next season at T.

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm not against signing a CB. I just don't want us to miss out on offensive talent bc we're signing DL, CB and Edges with all our money. That's not the side of the ball we need a ton of help at. Given our draft spot and the top notch talent it looks like we go D with our 1st Rounder. So it will be absurd to spend our FA money on defense and then use the 3rd pick on D as well. Leaving Darnold with poor weapons everywhere.

Who are you paying in the WR market? Maybe you trade for someone, but no one really out there that will demand a contract that will dramatically effect our cap.

I get your perspective, but there will be plenty of money to go around. In reality, the only 4 positions that will require heavy investments are OW (think $17 million per, whether its Bell or a RB & WR), EDGE (anywhere $10-20 million per), OL ($10-14 million per), and CB ($8-10 million per year)... and this is assuming if we sign top tier guys.

Even if you figure the Jets only spend 65% of their cap space, you can spend those numbers above per position (i.e. sign one EDGE for $20 million or 2 for $20 million) and still have enough money for their draft class and a few spot free agents. Unlike teams such as CLE and IND, who have drafted well and need to allocate resources to sign those players eventually, we don't have those kind of players in the pipeline. It may be not be until 2020 or later before we sign a current Jet to a multi-year mega contract.

We should expect the Jets to be the heaviest spenders this year, for better or for worse. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

As of right now, he could start at LG and then replace either Beachum or Shell next season at T.

I would want him to get comfortable at LT, especially after moving around on the line a bit. I would sign an OG and draft another in the later rounds. LT is so different from the other positions because of the angle you're often blocking in. A tackle to can move to OG, but it's going to be hard to move an OG to Tackle after you have molded him to be inside. His body type shows he can play both, but if we're picking him that high, he has to be the franchise LT. 

10 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I don't use them for any final decisions, but it lets me know I need to watch more than 1 game before crowning a player. 

Exactly, it’s a tool. They use the same measurements for everyone. Oh course it has it’s flaws because in some cases they don’t know what a particular player assignment was for each play but it still offers valuable information that is used throughout the NFL and media.

8 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Who are you paying in the WR market? Maybe you trade for someone, but no one really out there that will demand a contract that will dramatically effect our cap.

I get your perspective, but there will be plenty of money to go around. In reality, the only 4 positions that will require heavy investments are OW (think $17 million per, whether its Bell or a RB & WR), EDGE (anywhere $10-20 million per), OL ($10-14 million per), and CB ($8-10 million per year)... and this is assuming if we sign top tier guys.

Even if you figure the Jets only spend 65% of their cap space, you can spend those numbers above per position (i.e. sign one EDGE for $20 million or 2 for $20 million) and still have enough money for their draft class and a few spot free agents. Unlike teams such as CLE and IND, who have drafted well and need to allocate resources to sign those players eventually, we don't have those kind of players in the pipeline. It may be not be until 2020 or later before we sign a current Jet to a multi-year mega contract.

We should expect the Jets to be the heaviest spenders this year, for better or for worse. 

Totally agree that the FA market at WR is thin. But like you said I’d for sure explore trades. AJ Green, Mike Evans, Antonio Brown, etc. Same at RB. We all want Bell (generally speaking) but what’s the back up plan if we don’t get him? Coleman or Ingram are good. And I would like either one of them. But they obviously aren’t the difference makers we need. My main point is the offense needs talent and talent period. We have talent on defense.

Every year I see us “go for” some offensive FA talent. But never seem to get them. Leaving us spending all our FA money on defense. I have no reason to think this offseason would be any different. Macc couldn’t get guys last year and did this. So that’s my perspective. I’d much rather see us giving up draft assets to bring in offensive talent and overpay talented guys then just throw money at defense like we do every year.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Totally agree that the FA market at WR is thin. But like you said I’d for sure explore trades. AJ Green, Mike Evans, Antonio Brown, etc. Same at RB. We all want Bell (generally speaking) but what’s the back up plan if we don’t get him? Coleman or Ingram are good. And I would like either one of them. But they obviously aren’t the difference makers we need. My main point is the offense needs talent and talent period. We have talent on defense.

Every year I see us “go for” some offensive FA talent. But never seem to get them. Leaving us spending all our FA money on defense. I have no reason to think this offseason would be any different. Macc couldn’t get guys last year and did this. So that’s my perspective. I’d much rather see us giving up draft assets to bring in offensive talent and overpay talented guys then just throw money at defense like we do every year.

In regards offensive players we have gone after (Jerick McKinnon, Weston Richburg, Kelechi Osemele) we were outbid on 2-of-3, and the other was a bigger fan of playing for Shanahan/Garoppolo. 

We now have the capital to do the outbidding, and have an attractive QB situation. 

The bigger issue is that there is not much offensive talent this year. 

28 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

In regards offensive players we have gone after (Jerick McKinnon, Weston Richburg, Kelechi Osemele) we were outbid on 2-of-3, and the other was a bigger fan of playing for Shanahan/Garoppolo. 

We now have the capital to do the outbidding, and have an attractive QB situation. 

The bigger issue is that there is not much offensive talent this year. 

I see your point... but 2/4 offseasons we’ve had over 100mill in cap space. We should never be missing out on players bc of money really.

After four years as Jets GM, Maac, in 2018,  had the 25 ranked defensive,& the 29 ranked offensive, no wonder we were 4-12. He has 100 million to spend in the FA market. So if he is going to improve the Jets he has to have a huge FA period. He has only one pick in the first 66 players in the draft so he has to hit It big with our third pick in the draft. If he trades down I have no idea what he will get with picks or even a player.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

After four years as Jets GM, Maac, in 2018,  had the 25 ranked defensive,& the 29 ranked offensive, no wonder we were 4-12. He has 100 million to spend in the FA market. So if he is going to improve the Jets he has to have a huge FA period. He has only one pick in the first 66 players in the draft so he has to hit It big with our third pick in the draft. If he trades down I have no idea what he will get with picks or even a player.

Good point, but he could very well miss at the #3 spot. At least trading back will give him more chances to hit on someone. Do I trust him to make the right decisions? Not really, but we don't have a choice. We ran Idzik out for this guy. We look pretty bad for it right now. Macc should have fired his scouts. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I see your point... but 2/4 offseasons we’ve had over 100mill in cap space. We should never be missing out on players bc of money really.

It's obviously not just about the money. The talent around us, coaching staff, where they will live for the next __ years all play a major role. I don't knock Mac for not trying, but he needs to hit on his signings and picks to make this an attractive place to play. Hitting on Darnold and having a fiery leader like Adams is a good start.

That's why I'm all for landing AB by any means necessary to try and lure his buddy Le'Veon Bell here. And Le'Veon, living in NY can help you way more with your rap career than living in Indiana.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Another reason why trading down and netting a 2nd is a good move for us. MORE ASSETS and less needs! We can get a legit pass rusher or another receiving threat at #20.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We didn't have a QB in 1/4. Let this offseason play out before assuming we can't lure offensive talent here

Just thinking about it but If we Land Mike McCarthy I’d expect our pick to be either Quinenn Williams or Jonah Williams. McCarthy knows that the most important thing outside of QB is controlling the LOS.

Archived