2019 prospects and outlook

Dr.O

55 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Do you think the Pat's let flowers walk? 

Why not?  Pats have about 21M in effective cap space for 2019.  There is no way they are going to lock up Flowers to a massive deal.  Unless he is restricted which I don't think he is they likely will not be able to keep him and will look for a cheaper replacement.  I think it's going to take at least 15M per to keep him and are they really going to shell out 15+ for him?  Maybe, maybe not.

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Why not?  Pats have about 21M in effective cap space for 2019.  There is no way they are going to lock up Flowers to a massive deal.  Unless he is restricted which I don't think he is they likely will not be able to keep him and will look for a cheaper replacement.  I think it's going to take at least 15M per to keep him and are they really going to shell out 15+ for him?  Maybe, maybe not.

I wasn't aware of their cap situation. If thats the case then great, I'd love to have him.

4 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

I wasn't aware of their cap situation. If thats the case then great, I'd love to have him.

I'm sure they can make some more wiggle room to make even more space with restructures and cuts.  Even if they did and added another 5-6M in cap are they a team that will use 60-70% of it's cap space on one guy?  Not very NE like.  That's why guys like Funchess, Barr, Flowers are realistic and guys like Ford, Clowney, Lawrence aren't because of the cap situation.  DAL, KC, HOU are all in decent shape to keep their guys as is SEA with Clark who I really like but it's just not likely to even mock them.

I'd offer 16-17 for Flowers to force NE's hand.  If NE can only get to 21-25M or so it just seems like they are going to want to add more depth to that defense and not just retain one guy limiting their ability to do anything else.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:
PFF NY Jets @PFF_Jets
FollowFollow @PFF_Jets
More

#Jets Derrick Jones finished with a 79.1 overall grade in Week 17 which was the 9th highest among cornerbacks with a minimum of 20 defensive snaps. #JetUp

Yeah.. I noticed that.  Tom Brady attacked all the field early and then settled down with picking on Rashard Robinson for the rest of the game.  Think he played stoned? lol.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

FA wish list

Must haves
1. Bell
2. Flowers (I suspect Ford, Clowney, and Lawrence won't be going anywhere)
3. Paradis

Additional wants
1. Dennard (slight upgrade to Mo)
2. Spain 

We lock these 5 up prior to draft and I'd be pumped.

Actually I'd probably swap out Dennard for Callahan from CHI.  He graded out like one of the best slot CB's and Nickerson is not ready for starter minutes.  That would give Jones a chance to win on the outside instead of bringing in Dennard.

Callahan would be a great replacement for Skrine and CHI doesn't have a ton of space either after their last offseason spending spree.  Callahan would be a sneaky good move by Mac.

Bolded that so when Mac reads through the board he catches that.

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Actually I'd probably swap out Dennard for Callahan from CHI.  He graded out like one of the best slot CB's and Nickerson is not ready for starter minutes.  That would give Jones a chance to win on the outside instead of bringing in Dennard.

Callahan would be a great replacement for Skrine and CHI doesn't have a ton of space either after their last offseason spending spree.  Callahan would be a sneaky good move by Mac.

While I agree Callahan would be a good move, not sure how sneaky it is.  I think the whole league knows the guy is one of the best slots in the league.

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

While I agree Callahan would be a good move, not sure how sneaky it is.  I think the whole league knows the guy is one of the best slots in the league.

shhh not too loud.  Yeah pretty sure the word is out but not really a guy we discuss here as a FA.  We need a major upgrade at slot CB and he will likely hit the market given the CHI cap situation.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

shhh not too loud.  Yeah pretty sure the word is out but not really a guy we discuss here as a FA.  We need a major upgrade at slot CB and he will likely hit the market given the CHI cap situation.

100%.  Dude is a stud.  If we could add him and a guy like Darby on the outside, our secondary would be elite.

If Bosa or Allen aren’t there at our Pick I would try and move down and Take Gary, I’ve come around on him and think he could be a beast at the text level if you let him play a DE or a Suggs type role.

8 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Believe it or not, Dennard is actually a slot corner. Either way, you have the right idea: the Jets should be aggressive in signing the top slot/nickel corner. Replacing Skine with a body that can actually dominate in the slot, as that is becoming the hardest position to cover in the NFL. It sounds like Tru will be here next year and you can have an open competition for that other outside spot. 

Callahan, Dennard, and Justin Coleman are the top options on the open market. 

Haven’t had the time to really watch enough tape as of yet....if it does go down the way it’s looking now with Bosa and Allen off the board are we going to struggle to find that blue chip player? Obviously a trade down would be preferebale but if there’s no deal that fits. 

I really don’t want to go for a interior dlineman yet again. 

9 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Believe it or not, Dennard is actually a slot corner. Either way, you have the right idea: the Jets should be aggressive in signing the top slot/nickel corner. Replacing Skine with a body that can actually dominate in the slot, as that is becoming the hardest position to cover in the NFL. It sounds like Tru will be here next year and you can have an open competition for that other outside spot. 

Callahan, Dennard, and Justin Coleman are the top options on the open market. 

I don’t see slot CB as a HUGE need. Nickerson should only get better and pretty much is restricted to the slot. Unfortunately we will probably just spend all of our cap space on moves like this though Bc there’s not a lot of difference makers out there in FA. Shrine graded out better than there’s guys before he was a FA and he didn’t pan out really. I don’t want to see us make the same mistake again.

15 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:
PFF NY Jets @PFF_Jets
FollowFollow @PFF_Jets
More

#Jets Derrick Jones finished with a 79.1 overall grade in Week 17 which was the 9th highest among cornerbacks with a minimum of 20 defensive snaps. #JetUp

He had a good preseason but week 17 was his only playing time. Johnson, Claiborne, Roberts and Skrine ate up about 90% of the CB snaps.  I agree with @Bobby816about Nickerson being able to play the slot but I also think with his 4.3 speed he could play outside. The potential of both Jones and Nickerson has me believing that CB is not an urgent need or at least not one to spend a ton of money on.

Archived