Greatest Runningback of all time?

mdonnelly21

191 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Runningback of all time?

7 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

4924>3414 career touches. 

Discounting the success and longevity that Smith displayed with the assumption that Barry could have done it too is hardly fair. As for the loaded roster the Cowboys had... I don’t see it. You had a whole bunch of guys that were good but more then anything they executed on what was asked of them. Michael Irvin, Troy Aikmen and Jay Novacek are all decent players but would not sniff the hall of fame without Emmitt. 

Talk about talking out of both sides of the mouth.  Name a QB Barry had that was as good as Aikman...I'll wait.  I suppose you are going to say that OLine was all a bunch of JAGs too.  I'm not a Barry guy, I'm a sweetness guy, but give me a break, Barry us universally considered top 3 at worst.  The only reason Smith is even talked about as top 10 is bc he holds the all time rushing record.

46 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Talk about talking out of both sides of the mouth.  Name a QB Barry had that was as good as Aikman...I'll wait.  I suppose you are going to say that OLine was all a bunch of JAGs too.  I'm not a Barry guy, I'm a sweetness guy, but give me a break, Barry us universally considered top 3 at worst.  The only reason Smith is even talked about as top 10 is bc he holds the all time rushing record.

Barry was great. He had speed, good hands and was a highlight reel to watch. You ask my opinion on a better running back I’m taking Payton, Brown, Tomlinson, Smith and even Faulk before him though. Barry was a home run threat on every play, I will give you that. He disappeared in short yardage and on then goal line in comparison to the other all time great backs. 

The entire argument against Smith is, he was on a stacked team. Then why isn’t the all time leading rushing leader a Patriot? The All time receiving leader? Smith was an immense talent and took the big hits. He played every aspect of the position. 

4 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

The entire argument against Smith is, he was on a stacked team. Then why isn’t the all time leading rushing leader a Patriot? The All time receiving leader? Smith was an immense talent and took the big hits. He played every aspect of the position. 

Horrible,  horrible analogy.  The Patriots weren't,  haven't  and continue to be led by the GOAT of QB's and HC's. Not a litany of HOF'ers throughout their roster unlike the 90's Cowboys.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Barry was great. He had speed, good hands and was a highlight reel to watch. You ask my opinion on a better running back I’m taking Payton, Brown, Tomlinson, Smith and even Faulk before him though. Barry was a home run threat on every play, I will give you that. He disappeared in short yardage and on then goal line in comparison to the other all time great backs. 

No the entire arguement against Smith is that his OL opened holes that you and I could run through...together.  He played with a HOF #1 overall pick QB, throwing to a HOF WR.  Who was the best QB that Barry had?  Rodney Peete or Scott Mitchell?  Who was the best OL Barry played behind? Lomas Brown?  

I'd go for the one I actually saw, and marvelled at what he did on an otherwise pedestrian team. The Detroit Lions Barry Sanders. He may not have got the most yards per carry or anything like that, but I have never seen defenders so nervous as when they went to tackle him. If they went for the big hit he just juked them and made them look stupid, so over time they learned to just wrap him up without going for a hit. Once they did that, he had such leg power (he had enormous thighs for a 5'8" guy) he could back up, pulling out of the tackle, and run elsewhere.

Never seen anything like it, and may never again.

Typical of the man, he never spoke to the press much, kept his own counsel, and retired when HE felt it was time. Legend

On 5/27/2019 at 1:11 PM, Boltstrikes said:

4924>3414 career touches. 

Discounting the success and longevity that Smith displayed with the assumption that Barry could have done it too is hardly fair. As for the loaded roster the Cowboys had... I don’t see it. You had a whole bunch of guys that were good but more then anything they executed on what was asked of them. Michael Irvin, Troy Aikmen and Jay Novacek are all decent players but would not sniff the hall of fame without Emmitt. 

So? I thought we were talking about who was the better RB?  They both played well long enough in the NFL to get a sense of how good of players they were.  Smith having 4 mediocre seasons to end his career does not and should not affect the comparison as to who was the "better" player -- because Smith's best years came well previous to his final stretch of mediocrity.  It's not like Barry was some one year wonder.  

• Like 1

This guy had a little fun at Emmitt's expense, but he's not wrong either

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2002/10/29/emmitt-most-boring-r/

Smith’s 11-yard run against the Seahawks that snapped Payton’s record of 17,726 career yards was typical Emmitt: He took the handoff, had the presence of mind to run through a gaping hole directly in front of him, and ran right at corner Ken Lucas, who tripped him up, causing Emmitt to stumble towards his record yards. The run didn’t showcase Emmitt’s jaw-dropping moves, probably because he’s about as shifty as Tony Siragusa. He didn’t use his blazing speed to fly past Lucas, probably because he’s got as much wheels as a busted unicycle. He didn’t finish his run with a neck-snapping collision to pick up a couple extra yards and remind Lucas who’s boss, probably because with Emmitt’s severe lack of power, you’d think he was born before Thomas Edison was around.

There’s just no question, playing a position that glamorizes and tests those three things — speed, shiftiness and power —
Emmitt circled choice D: none of the above.

During Emmitt’s heyday, Dallas’ Super Bowl years, the Cowboys managed to assemble the greatest offensive line in history. With a busload of agile and powerful 300-pounders and the best blocking fullback in the league in Moose Johnston, Leon Lett could have run for 1,000 yards in Dallas, provided Don Beebe wasn’t playing defense. In the absence of great speed or power, his vision was probably his greatest asset, but it’s not all that hard to recognize a hole that a 747 could fit through comfortably.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:01 PM, Boltstrikes said:

Define "disappeared" in reference to the other "all time great backs". 

I can't talk as much about the guys I never got to watch.  But one of my earliest football memories was watching Barry Sanders weave through Packers defenders like they were standing still.  He gets my vote.  

That said, the best consistently-sed RB move I have ever seen is probably LT's jump-cut.  That was a thing of beauty.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I can't talk as much about the guys I never got to watch.  But one of my earliest football memories was watching Barry Sanders weave through Packers defenders like they were standing still.  He gets my vote.  

That said, the best consistently-sed RB move I have ever seen is probably LT's jump-cut.  That was a thing of beauty.  

Agreed, I loved watching LT play. 

4 hours ago, theuntouchable said:

And your point is what precisely? He also had nearly 4 times the amount of goal line carries as Barry did. 

Then you concede the point he disappeared in goal-line situations...

On 5/28/2019 at 7:12 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

No the entire arguement against Smith is that his OL opened holes that you and I could run through...together.  He played with a HOF #1 overall pick QB, throwing to a HOF WR.  Who was the best QB that Barry had?  Rodney Peete or Scott Mitchell?  Who was the best OL Barry played behind? Lomas Brown?  

Rodney Pete and Andre Ware both were considerable investments by the lions during Sanders tenure there. Sanders did not show success when asked to be a typical running back between the tackles and follow a fullback. The offense was built around his talent into the run and shoot, essentially a college spread offense in the NFL. Largely ineffectual against the more complex defenses. Either of those quarterbacks may have fared a lot better in a more pro offense. 

Sanders compiled a ton of stats and highlight reel plays but his team seldom got the W’s. He’s one of the players I would have loved to see in a different situation. On a franchise that wasn’t as complacent about losing as long as tickets were sold. Sanders got the bill of a superstar and sold those tickets and they’d force feed him touches. At critical times though, Sanders wouldn’t have his number called and instead the Lions would give the ball to someone like Vardell. 

Payton, Tomlinson, Faulk are all better complete running backs then Sanders was. 

Edited by Boltstrikes