Greatest Runningback of all time?

mdonnelly21

191 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Runningback of all time?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 6:20 PM, Gannon12 said:

I like this but you don’t think OJ the juice or Marcus Allen cracks the top 5  over Faulk?

I don't! Faulk changed the position forever, I hate to show you my next five but I'm going to anyway

6. Adrian Peterson 7. Gale Sayers 8. Emit Smith 9. Eric Dickerson 10. Curtis Martin, Mind you I do have the top three in a different order than the above list

On 2/17/2019 at 11:32 AM, BullsandBroncos said:

Adrian Peterson, Walter Payton, and Marcus Allen are my top 3. Jim Brown is 3B. 

I'm not going to sit here and say Barry Sanders is an all time great RB, but he was hit for a loss on almost 400 of his career carries. 

Does anyone have the stats for any other running backs to compare this to? Even if he has that many more runs for loss than the next RB, I would say that is more an OL problem with him getting hit behind the line that often.

6 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Does anyone have the stats for any other running backs to compare this to? Even if he has that many more runs for loss than the next RB, I would say that is more an OL problem with him getting hit behind the line that often.

It's not easy to find because it isn't really a stat or tracked for any other RB.

Best mining and you'll get Payton and Faulk with lost yardage in the 800s. 

And LT and Smith with roughly 300 carries for negative yardage.

Workhorse backs of that era ran in the negatives on 10-12% of their runs. I think even AD falls into that range.

You used to be able to query negative runs from the mid 90s on but I don't think you can anymore.

Regardless, in another decade, that 336 for -950 will turn into 500 for -2000.

14 hours ago, DLF54927 said:

It's not easy to find because it isn't really a stat or tracked for any other RB.

Best mining and you'll get Payton and Faulk with lost yardage in the 800s. 

And LT and Smith with roughly 300 carries for negative yardage.

Workhorse backs of that era ran in the negatives on 10-12% of their runs. I think even AD falls into that range.

You used to be able to query negative runs from the mid 90s on but I don't think you can anymore.

Regardless, in another decade, that 336 for -950 will turn into 500 for -2000.

This is why I think that stat is kind of tough to justify as anything. If you don't have anything to compare it to, then the context is lost.

I know you weren't the one to bring up the stat, but say Sanders is at about 390 for negative runs and the nest person is at 370. That means little to nothing to me. Putting out that he lost yards on near 400 carries and 1000+ yards seems jaw dropping, but I would suspect that it isn't all that much in the scheme of things.

Add on to this that he still averaged 5 yards per carry for his career and you have to take that kind of thing with a grain of salt.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:42 PM, skywlker32 said:

AP is at 375, Martin at 373, Faulk at 372. Bunch of others at 300+. PFR game play finder only goes back to 1994 right now.

http://pfref.com/tiny/Hktco

11 hours ago, childofpudding said:

AP is at 375, Martin at 373, Faulk at 372. Bunch of others at 300+. PFR game play finder only goes back to 1994 right now.

http://pfref.com/tiny/Hktco

Which then brings me back to the question, does Barry actually have that many more rushes for negative yards than top backs?

Of note from @BullsandBroncos list of players better than Barry, Peterson had negative rushes on 13.3% of his career carries, while Barry (if we assume 400 negative rushes even) had negative rushes on 13.1% of his career carries.

Context people. Context.

2 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

Which then brings me back to the question, does Barry actually have that many more rushes for negative yards than top backs?

Of note from @BullsandBroncos list of players better than Barry, Peterson had negative rushes on 13.3% of his career carries, while Barry (if we assume 400 negative rushes even) had negative rushes on 13.1% of his career carries.

Context people. Context.

I think Sanders just has that reputation, for whatever reason, of having a lot more carries for loss than other top backs. But it's unfounded.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I was just a little too young to have seen prime Sweetness, but what I saw I loved. He was special. That said, I grew up watching Barry, and I've never seen ANYONE like him. His combination of crazy video game moves, strength, ACCELERATION off of those cut on a dime moves/then hitting that homerun speed was absolutely unreal. That's what made him so special. I'd also argue that he was the best I've ever seen at turning a 4-5 yard loss into a no gain/1 yard gain. It was otherworldly. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

If Barry Sanders had an OL like the Hogs, Cowboys, Raiders or others, he would've had 2500+ yard seasons.  He wasn't the best for grinding it out for tough yards, but he would make up for the losses and then some. For total yardage and threat, Sanders.  

Payton could do it all blitz pick up, blocking , diving, tough yards, receiving and throwing TD's , and was as tough as anyone and by the rules of that era not this league of today. RB's used to be really tough, much different than the nfl today.

Edited by 3rivers

On 2019-02-23 at 2:40 AM, jarren said:

AP was the best pure runner I saw. All round is probably LT. Saquan will be my answer in about 12 years. 

is Barkely going to be wasted on a terrible team, thats  what it's looking like :/