Behold Da Bearz!

vike daddy

The Bears have hired John DeFilippo as their quarterbacks coach and promoted incumbent quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone to passing game coordinator, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

The Bears interviewed DeFilippo for their head coaching vacancy in 2018, hiring Matt Nagy instead. DeFilippo then spent one season as the Vikings’ offensive coordinator and one as the Jaguars’ offensive coordinator.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/15/bears-hire-john-defilippo-as-quarterbacks-coach/

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

The Bears have hired John DeFilippo as their quarterbacks coach and promoted incumbent quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone to passing game coordinator, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.

The Bears interviewed DeFilippo for their head coaching vacancy in 2018, hiring Matt Nagy instead. DeFilippo then spent one season as the Vikings’ offensive coordinator and one as the Jaguars’ offensive coordinator.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/15/bears-hire-john-defilippo-as-quarterbacks-coach/

Well, I'm not sure that's going to help Sad Trombonsky.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Do the Bears even have the cap space and draft capital to trade for Carr. Maybe the Raiders take less if they land Brady?

Carr posted on Instagram a picture of himself and former teammate Khalil Mack, now with the Bears. Several media outlets took that as a hint that Carr was hinting as a reunion in Chicago, and wrote about the possibility that the Bears were preparing to trade for Carr as a replacement for the disappointing starting quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.

But Carr’s brother, former NFL quarterback and current broadcaster David Carr, said on NFL Network that nothing should be read into Derek Carr’s post.

“His son’s favorite movie is Trolls. He’s just having fun. It’s the offseason,” David Carr said of his brother.

The biggest problem with a Bears trade scenario is that Carr has a base salary of $18.9 million this season, and the Bears currently have about $18 million in cap space. The Bears would have a hard time managing their salary cap if they traded for Carr (or any other quarterback who’s earning starter money). So while Carr being traded remains a possibility, a reunion with Mack on the Bears would be hard to pull off.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/22/derek-carr-creates-speculation-of-a-trade-to-bears-david-carr-says-hes-trolling/

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears are planning to release veteran cornerback Prince Amukamara. Adam Schefter of ESPN adds that wide receiver Taylor Gabriel is on the way out as well.

Cutting Amukamara would give the 30-year-old former first-rounder a head start on the free agent market, which has a number of options at the position. He was due to make $9 million next season, and they’ll carry $1 million in dead money to let him go. Gabriel’s release clears $4.5 million of cap space.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/21/bears-planning-to-relase-prince-amukamara-taylor-gabriel/

• 2 weeks later...

With the Bengals expected to pick a quarterback first overall, Andy Dalton is at the top of the list of players that could be dealt this offseason. Paul Dehner of TheAthletic.com reports that the Bears have spoken to the team about a deal.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/01/report-bears-have-spoken-to-bengals-about-andy-dalton-trade/

16 hours ago, vike daddy said:

With the Bengals expected to pick a quarterback first overall, Andy Dalton is at the top of the list of players that could be dealt this offseason. Paul Dehner of TheAthletic.com reports that the Bears have spoken to the team about a deal.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/01/report-bears-have-spoken-to-bengals-about-andy-dalton-trade/

I think everyone suspected that he would be the guy to compete with Trubisky (at least I did), as it makes the most sense for both parties.  Brady would have been the pipe dream, but in the end Dalton is to Trubisky as Matt Cassel was to Christian Ponder.  It's a push of Mitch, but not a big enough one to upset his ego.  

• Like 1

I still think Teddy to Chicago makes a lot of sense.  I mentioned this in the Bears forum and some of the Bears fans said they would like to have Teddy, but they didn't think they could make it work financially.  If I were the Bears GM, I would try to find a way to make it work.  Teddy could do some great things on that roster.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I still think Teddy to Chicago makes a lot of sense.  I mentioned this in the Bears forum and some of the Bears fans said they would like to have Teddy, but they didn't think they could make it work financially.  If I were the Bears GM, I would try to find a way to make it work.  Teddy could do some great things on that roster.

Teddy makes the most sense in New England. 

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Problem is, his career stats aren't much better than Trubisky's. Sure, I'd like to have him for $10M a year, but unfortunately he's going to get way more than that and he isn't worth it.

I could see him going to LAC or CAR as a bridge guy as their young QB develops.

Edited by beardown3231

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Problem is, his career stats aren't much better than Trubisky's. Sure, I'd like to have him for $10M a year, but unfortunately he's going to get way more than that and he isn't worth it.

I could see him going to LAC or CAR as a bridge guy as their young QB develops.

Teddy is light years better than Trubisky though.  With your defense, just get him a couple of decent receivers and a good running back and you guys are Super Bowl contenders with Teddy.  

• Like 1

This year’s draft may be a challenge for the Bears. Chicago sent its first- and third-round picks to the Raiders in the Khalil Mack trade, and its fourth-round pick to the Patriots to move up last year to draft running back David Montgomery. The Bears did get back the Raiders’ second-round pick, but that still leaves Chicago with just two of the top 139 picks in the draft.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, this is just the third time in the Super Bowl era that the Bears have only had two picks in the top 139.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/12/bears-in-rare-territory-with-lack-of-high-picks/