Behold Da Bearz!

vike daddy

In April, Roquan Smith expressed confidence that he and the Bears would come to terms on a new contract. That clearly isn't the case now, as the veteran linebacker will not be participating in training camp when the Bears report Tuesday, according to NFL Network. 

Smith is holding out after not receiving an acceptable offer from the team, per Ian Rapoport. Smith, who recorded a career-high 163 tackles last season, is slated to make $9.735 million -- all guaranteed -- this season after Chicago picked up his fifth-year option last spring. 

When asked about his contract in the spring, Smith said his goal was to remain with the Bears, who in 2018 selected him with the eighth overall pick in the NFL draft. Over the past four years, Smith has evolved into one of the NFL's premier linebackers. In 61 regular season games, Smith has tallied 524 tackles (43 for loss), 14 sacks, five interceptions and 17 passes defensed. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bears-roquan-smith-holding-out-of-training-camp-due-to-contract-situation-per-report/

19 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/09/bears-roquan-smith-requests-trade-2022-training-camp/

So maybe it's not just Teven Jenkins...

The Eberflus Era is not off to a promising start. 

Roquan Smith: “Unfortunately, the new front office regime doesn’t value me here. They’ve refused to negotiate in good faith, every step of this journey has been “take it or leave it”. The deal sent to me is one that would be bad for myself, and for the entire LB market if I signed it. I’ve been trying to get something done that’s fair since April, but their focus has been on trying to take advantage of me.

“I wanted to be a Bear for my entire career, help this team bring a super bowl back to our city. However, they have left me no choice than to request a trade that allows me to play for an organization that truly values what I bring to the table.”

“I haven’t had the chance to talk to the McCaskey family, and maybe they can salvage this. But as of right now I don’t see a path back to the organization I truly love.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/09/roquan-smith-requests-a-trade-from-bears/

16 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/09/bears-roquan-smith-requests-trade-2022-training-camp/

So maybe it's not just Teven Jenkins...

The Eberflus Era is not off to a promising start. 

I think this has more to do with Ryan Poles than Eberflus.  While it's still early, I've heard a lot of rumblings already that people don't really care for what he's been doing thus far.  I think it's especially hard when you make the decision to tear everything down and start over, because the people you're working for have to have a lot of patience.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I think this has more to do with Ryan Poles than Eberflus.  While it's still early, I've heard a lot of rumblings already that people don't really care for what he's been doing thus far.  I think it's especially hard when you make the decision to tear everything down and start over, because the people you're working for have to have a lot of patience.  

Sure, but no one remembers the GM. They remember the coach when they get fired. Plus, Eberflus is a defensive guy and Smith is their best player. I think Eberflus would have significant pull in getting them to give Smith more money. 

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

Sure, but no one remembers the GM. They remember the coach when they get fired. Plus, Eberflus is a defensive guy and Smith is their best player. I think Eberflus would have significant pull in getting them to give Smith more money. 

You'd think he would, but to be fair, Eberflus hasn't even seen Roquan, because he's been on the PUP...and their DC is a Leslie Frazier clone in former Vikings DC, Alan Williams.  He could be more hands-off when it comes to the roster and determining who he needs at this point, because he has no relationship with Roquan.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s year one, but at this point I’m glad that Poles didn’t take the second interview in Minnesota. 

It’s hard to see what his plan/vision is for Chicago. 

Agreed.  I was much higher on him than I was Kwesi, but what he is doing is kind of baffling to me.  But, I wasn't sure what the Chiefs were doing after Dorsey left (where Poles came from) and that turned out alright.  😉