Behold Da Bearz!

vike daddy

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

They’re going to simply end up overpaying for a ton of average free agents. Because they just got rid of the only young player worthy of a long term contract. 

I don’t understand a plan that doesn’t include paying one of, if not the best player on your team. Yes, he plays a position that you wouldn’t consider a premium position, but he’s a young, playmaker that they desperately need. And with no cornerback, edge rusher, offensive tackle, quarterback, or any other “premier” position players to focus on, there just was no reason to not keep Smith long term. 

A win for the NFC North. 

Yes.  As I said above, I think he's a very good player, and one they should keep around, but it appears that he was overvaluing himself (which is easy to do when you're representing yourself). They were put in between a rock and hard place...but now he's going to Baltimore where their starting QB is doing the same exact thing.  I think they should have figured out a way to work it out with him, but apparently, Poles was not interested in putting forth the effort.

Edited by swede700

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s even more bizarre seeing the Bears trade these players to create cap space for a year where it’s not exactly a who’s who for players set to hit free agency. 

That was exactly what I posted as well.  It's all fine and dandy that they are going to have $100+M in cap space, but unless you're looking for a RB, the free agency class isn't all that impressive.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That was exactly what I posted as well.  It's all fine and dandy that they are going to have $100+M in cap space, but unless you're looking for a RB, the free agency class isn't all that impressive.  

They'll be able to carry over unused cap space to the following year though, won't they? If so, I guess it makes sense. Get some of that dead money off the books. Draft well, supplement with free agents and hope to build a contender by Poles' third or fourth season. 

What is going to be interesting is whether the Bears decide to use their first round pick on a QB. I don't think Fields is ever going to be a top-tier QB, but it's also hard to tell when he's basically playing on JV team. 

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

They'll be able to carry over unused cap space to the following year though, won't they? If so, I guess it makes sense. Get some of that dead money off the books. Draft well, supplement with free agents and hope to build a contender by Poles' third or fourth season. 

What is going to be interesting is whether the Bears decide to use their first round pick on a QB. I don't think Fields is ever going to be a top-tier QB, but it's also hard to tell when he's basically playing on JV team. 

They can carry cap space over to a point. But there is a spending floor in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

I think the big question is will the Bears‘ approach to the rest of the roster ruin Fields’ development?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think the big question is will the Bears‘ approach to the rest of the roster ruin Fields’ development?

I think that was pretty evident how they handled the WR position this offseason, by giving him absolutely nothing to work with, despite having money to do so.  It doesn't help that it's not expected that the draft class at WR is going to be all that strong either...but hey, they can take Allen Lazard from A-Rodg...that'll show 'em.  

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

What is the spending floor set at for the Bears this year?

I'm not sure, but here's the startling fact for you...the dead money that the Bears are paying for this year is higher than what the cap hit is for their currently active roster (not including those on IR).  $88.98M vs $87.8M

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

What is the spending floor set at for the Bears this year?

Teams need to spend at least 89% of their salary cap over a four year period. What I don’t know is if it’s a running four year period, or a set four year block. 

Also, the NFL as a whole is required to spend 95% of the salary cap for a four year period. So, teams likely feel pressure from the rest of the league to spend.