Behold Da Bearz!

vike daddy

40 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Fields threw for 200+ yards exactly twice this season. He's Tim Tebow right now: he could get a competent roster to .500 or above because of his running ability. But he's not taking over games with his arm. He's leagues behind Lamar Jackson as a passer right now. Maybe he gets there eventually (especially with actual receivers), but he also has to stay healthy. 

Maybe the Ravens would be willing to trade for him and let Lamar hit the open market or do a tag and trade. 

He's light years ahead of Tebow from a passing standpoint. He's throwing to Practice Squad players, Tebow was throwing to Demarious Thomas and Eric Decker and had a pretty good OL.

57 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

He's light years ahead of Tebow from a passing standpoint. He's throwing to Practice Squad players, Tebow was throwing to Demarious Thomas and Eric Decker and had a pretty good OL.

The comparison is more that he, like Tebow, can keep them in games and pull out a few. If Fields doesn't drastically improve as a passer, I think he's a .500 QB. Like Tebow would have been. 

No question that the Bears' receivers are bad. But Fields hasn't shown that he's good either. 

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The comparison is more that he, like Tebow, can keep them in games and pull out a few. If Fields doesn't drastically improve as a passer, I think he's a .500 QB. Like Tebow would have been. 

No question that the Bears' receivers are bad. But Fields hasn't shown that he's good either. 

Tebow never would have been a .500 QB.  They won in spite of Tebow.  He should have converted to TE right out of college instead of fruitlessly trying to be a QB...then he would have had a chance to stick.  But he tried TE far too late.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think that had a lot to do with it.  And then you had the Tebow-maniacs reinforcing that ego.  

Yes.  I believe that Tebow could've had a career as a TE, a Taysom Hill type gadget QB, or perhaps even a linebacker!  It was to his detriment that he wasn't converted right out of college.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

I disagree. I think he’s a much better passer than you are giving him credit for, and that if Poles shows restraint this offseason and doesn’t blow through the bank account on a rough free agent class, that the Bears are trending up. 

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

why didn't they make him a RB? or like a Taysom Hill kind of player?

his ego, perhaps?

I doubt it had much to do with Tebow’s ego, and more to do with the ego of the people in charge in Denver. 

There also requires a level of vision and ability to think outside the box that most coaches just don’t have.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 6:13 PM, SemperFeist said:

I doubt it had much to do with Tebow’s ego, and more to do with the ego of the people in charge in Denver. 

There also requires a level of vision and ability to think outside the box that most coaches just don’t have.

There's a reason why that same coach has done a very poor job thus far in his 2nd HC job.

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Loaded with cap space in a year not loaded with premier free agent talent.  Sounds like a lot of overpaying.  

Possibly, but still a good position to be in. Just depends on where they add and how much they overpay. Rolling that money forward doesn't do them any good either, does it? Fields, assuming they keep him ( ;) ) is now going into year 3 so his rookie contract is becoming a factor. 

14 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Possibly, but still a good position to be in. Just depends on where they add and how much they overpay. Rolling that money forward doesn't do them any good either, does it? Fields, assuming they keep him ( ;) ) is now going into year 3 so his rookie contract is becoming a factor. 

I'm just not a huge fan of tearing things down completely in order to build it up.  While they did appear to try hard yesterday, the game was never truly in doubt due to a severe lack of talent.  And generally, free agents are free agents for a reason.  So, while they may have an uptick of talent next year because of all the cap space they have, I'm not sure it will make that much of a difference on the field, so they'll be significantly overpaying for little return. 

The key to them will be the drafting, because I look at their roster with the young players they do have, there are no significant extensions due any time soon, so who are they spending that cap space on?  They swung on Claypool...he's terrible.  Mooney is worthwhile to extend, but he doesn't deserve JJ-type money.  Kmet may be worthwhile to extend, but he's a TE.  Other than that, Teven Jenkins hasn't proven to be worth it yet and defensively, Jaylon Johnson?  He hasn't warranted it either.    Other than that, there isn't anyone on the horizon worth it.  Even Fields...but then, they don't have to really worry about even considering it until 2024 at the earliest, and likely not even until the end of it, if they pick up his option. 

So, unless they plan on trading some of the draft picks they have (or ones they acquire by trading down from #1) to acquire proven players due for extensions, I'm not sure what the point is of having all that space.  

Edited by swede700

• 1 month later...

The Bears had the worst record in the NFL this season, they’ve only had a winning record once in the last 10 years, and one of their all-time great players isn’t happy about it. Hall of Fame linebacker D*ck Butkus says the Bears’ failures weigh on him as he wishes he could see a winning team in Chicago.

Butkus “There’s no reason why they should be this bad. . . . I get a little disgusted. I really get hot watching them, especially with a lot of lack of effort things. I don’t get it. I really don’t. Why have they been so bad? Is it the scouting department? What’s the answer here? To tell you the truth, I don’t know. . . . Look at the teams that are winning and look at their organization. The ownership is the ones that hire. It starts from them too. They shouldn’t be void of any criticism.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/12/****-butkus-is-disgusted-with-how-bad-the-bears-are-sees-lack-of-effort/