Behold Da Bearz!

vike daddy

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

They certainly could, but they couldn't go wrong holding onto it and taking the best defensive player on the board.  Because I don't think they'd want to trade down too far and lose a guy like Will Anderson or Jalen Carter.  I think they can get WRs later and they need significant talent infusion on that defense.       

That is certainly the route I think I'd be leaning towards if I was Poles. Will be interesting to see what they decide to do!

Edited by VikeManDan

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This would surprise me a bit, given what Warren has done with the Big Ten. Why would you want to leave that position? But, given that the last guy held the Bears’ job for 40 years, becoming the Bears’ President/CEO is probably guaranteed job security. 

It certainly would be and he'd be more qualified than that previous guy.  But I don't know how you give up the Big Ten job, that's certainly more prestigious than the Bears job.  A lot more stress too, though. 😉    

10 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Pulled in UCLA and USC. 

That is certainly the biggest deal.  And in addition, negotiated the huge billion dollar a year media deal, which will add somewhere around $80M-$100M to every school in the conference per year.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

The Bears have agreed to a one-year contract extension with Equanimeous St. Brown. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media adds the deal is worth $1.25 million.

St. Brown has started 15 games for the Bears this season, recording 20 catches for 320 yards with one touchdown. He’s also rushed six times for 54 yards, which makes him third on the team in receiving yards.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/04/bears-agree-to-one-year-extension-with-equanimeous-st-brown/

odd that the Bears sign receivers. i mean, what do they need them for, downfield blocking?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I wonder how popular the idea of trading Justin Fields is going to be this offseason? Especially if the Bears wind up with the #1 pick. 

I have to imagine there are some Bears fans that would be very in favor of that. Fields has shown some flashes to make you think he could someday be an outstanding QB, but fans that have seen the whole season will remember all of the times he looked like an incompetent NFL QB. There were many such times.

I would have a hard time giving up on him just yet, but on the other hand I wouldn't be able to pass up someone else that I thought had more potential based on nothing but hope that Fields will get it all together eventually.

• Like 1

Fields is not Josh Rosen.  However, he has a long way to go to become a competent passer.  I personally think they should just take the best defensive player regardless of whether they have #1 or #2.  If there is a trade to be had where they can get a significant return, I would go that route too before considering taking another QB.  Eberflus is a defensive guy too, so I think that would be his preference as well.  

• Like 2

Fields threw for 200+ yards exactly twice this season. He's Tim Tebow right now: he could get a competent roster to .500 or above because of his running ability. But he's not taking over games with his arm. He's leagues behind Lamar Jackson as a passer right now. Maybe he gets there eventually (especially with actual receivers), but he also has to stay healthy. 

Maybe the Ravens would be willing to trade for him and let Lamar hit the open market or do a tag and trade. 

• Like 1