What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

Wouldn't that be converting it? 

Though you could argue that spending it is just converting it into goods. 

He kind of blew up the game, but I was thinking of that as a market transaction; IE, someone was actually buying the copper from pre 1982 pennies if that was all they were. So I was thinking of them as copper more so than pennies in that scenario

Just now, pwny said:

Would buying gift cards be considered converting?

I don't think so. You have to take the pennies in to the store to get the gift cards, which is kind of the point of the exercise- you have to spend the pennies. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

He kind of blew up the game, but I was thinking of that as a market transaction; IE, someone was actually buying the copper from pre 1982 pennies if that was all they were. So I was thinking of them as copper more so than pennies in that scenario

It's illegal to melt pennies down into copper for this reason.

The answer is pennies. You could auction said pennies to the highest bidder and there is some bank out there that would pay a lot more than $50k to get you currency that's usable.

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I don't think so. You have to take the pennies in to the store to get the gift cards, which is kind of the point of the exercise- you have to spend the pennies. 

Okay. So I take them in and dump them into a Coinstar machine. There’s 0 fees when turned into a gift card. 

$500k in Amazon purchases, here I come. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

Okay. So I take them in and dump them into a Coinstar machine. There’s 0 fees when turned into a gift card. 

And this would be my first purchase...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BHAU9AC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9Z20CbJ55VV2X

...only so it would make taking the money to the Coinstar every time I needed a refill a little easier. 

9 minutes ago, pwny said:

Have fun hauling those 300,000 pounds of pennies to a machine

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Have fun hauling those 300,000 pounds of pennies to a machine

I don’t need $500k at once, man. I’m more than capable of carrying 60 pounds every time I want $100. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Roll pennies. Take pennies to the store. Buy prepaid credit cards in the highest amount possible. 

You could have someone else do it for you for literally pennies on the dollar.