What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

This, and 85%+ of the women know the deal (of course I'm throwing out an imaginary number, but I'd bet my third leg that the vast majority know and are okay with what they're getting into).

I’m really failing to see the relevance or point to this 85% figure.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

obv and nobody made that point

One could argue that your "a majority of women know and are ok with it" is pretty much that. Citation needed.

That something might be a rampant part of an industry, and some people enter into that industry knowing that, doesn't make it ok or acceptable.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

It's my guess. What's yours?

I’m just failing to understand where a percentage of consensual behavior is at all relevant to an act of non-consensual behavior. The only thing I can gather is that it somehow normalizes the bahavior he was accused of. But I can’t believe you would be making that argument. So I’m struggling to see where it has any bound of relevance.

• Like 2

Just now, fretgod99 said:

One could argue that your "a majority of women know and are ok with it" is pretty much that

No, one couldn't. Unless one was being really obtuse.

2 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

Citation needed.

You disagree? What's your guess as to the % of starlets and hopefuls who saunter their way up to Mr. Weinstein's hotel room with wholly innocent intentions? "Cite me the figure or what you're saying isn't true" doesn't fly all the time. Common sense here says that if Weinstein settled 10 or so of these allegations out of court over multiple decades, how many incidents passed by without issue? "A majority of them" seems to be more than a fair guess.

6 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

That something might be a rampant part of an industry, and some people enter into that industry knowing that, doesn't make it ok or acceptable.

We agree, then. It's a shame the 'game' is set up to reward a certain approach from the fairer gender. It's a shame Mr. Weinstein decided to partake instead of elevate himself above it. It's a shame some women will forego their morals and encourage such lewd and lascivious behavior, reinforcing the behavior of scummy men.

14 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I’m just failing to understand where a percentage of consensual behavior is at all relevant to an act of non-consensual behavior.

You're failing to understand the relevance because you're the one trying to make a connection between my statement of "I bet a majority let this fly" with the imagined stance of "therefore the instances where it's non-consensual aren't a big deal".

A poster said 'that's how I imagined Hollywood was', and I responded with 'Me too, I bet a majority of ladies walking up to his hotel room simply play this angle'. Nobody made a comment about the non-consensual allegations or otherwise implied they weren't serious.

Edited by cddolphin

Just now, cddolphin said:

A poster said 'that's how I imagined Hollywood was', and I responded with 'Me too, I bet a majority of ladies walking up to his hotel room simply play this angle'. Nobody made a comment about the non-consensual allegations.

And again, how is this relevant at all? It gets brought up every time a star/person in a position of power gets accused of these things, and I’d just like to know why you find it relevant to the discussion. There must be some reason you brought it up. I’m just trying to discern what it is.

Also, I will point out that the irony of your first paragraph is beyond rich.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

And again, how is this relevant at all? It gets brought up every time a star/person in a position of power gets accused of these things, and I’d just like to know why you find it relevant to the discussion.

How are differing responses to the same action relevant to each other? Not sure if serious. If you want to understand and learn from bad behavior, are you going to examine only the negative outcomes in a vacuum? Or would it be wiser to try to discern how the bad behavior became systemic, and through what methods of reward?

19 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

You're failing to understand the relevance because you're the one trying to make a connection between my statement of "I bet a majority let this fly" with the imagined stance of "therefore the instances where it's non-consensual aren't a big deal".

A poster said 'that's how I imagined Hollywood was', and I responded with 'Me too, I bet a majority of ladies walking up to his hotel room simply play this angle'. Nobody made a comment about the non-consensual allegations or otherwise implied they weren't serious.

2 points here. As the poster agreed with I want to put it out there I don't totally believe that the consensual encounters are no big deal either(not that you said that either, I'm just putting it out there.) Men in positions of power shouldn't be using their position to gain sexual favors from prospective employees. And it's not fair to women who aren't willing to do that to advance their careers. Again, not that you said that either 

second point. The pile on here is ridiculous. If someone says that isn't what they meant everyone should let it go. These are basically thinly veiled implications that someone condoned rape which is really pretty vicious 

3 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

These are basically thinly veiled implications that someone condoned rape which is really pretty vicious 

Par for the course. You can only examine tragedies through the lens of the victim. If you even raise the point that perhaps a more all-encompassing view would yield more knowledge and understanding, you get slapped with accusations of condoning socially unacceptable behavior, victim-blaming, or whatever other buzzwords people spout to avoid conversations that admittedly probably go beyond what is allowed to be discussed here.