What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

5 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

All you have to do is look at the sky and watch the way the sun and moon moves. It’s so obvious that the world isn’t flat. Flat earth has nothing to do with the existence of dinosaurs. And it feels like a cult when people don’t even want you to ask questions 

But when the answers to the questions aren't really that important anyway, what's the big deal? What would be the major difference if Earth actually was flat? What's the reason to lie about it? Same with dinosaurs. Why would they just make them up, what's the reason for that? I'm all for asking questions and doing your own research, but put that towards something useful.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

All you have to do is look at the sky and watch the way the sun and moon moves. It’s so obvious that the world isn’t flat. Flat earth has nothing to do with the existence of dinosaurs. And it feels like a cult when people don’t even want you to ask questions 

Carbon dating, skeletal remains, etc., there's proof of dinosaurs having existed. 

32 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I don't even understand how anyone could choose to believe something so stupid. Like what kind of childhood did you have? Who hurt you?

Im just gonna put this here but not go in depth cuz i know its forbidden on here...

Largely it's timeframes undermine religious beliefs.

7 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Right now, there's a family in China watching me work from home

I thought you were being serious at this point

7 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

placing bets on when I'm going to put pants on...

now I'm hoping you were being serious 

3 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

What kinds of questions do you have? Or would one have if not you specifically? I don’t have a problem with the questions. I would love if people took an actual likening to understanding science better when they don’t understand. I have a problem with people coming to the conclusion that they don’t believe in things and refusing to acknowledge evidence when it’s presented.

I mean we had a flat earther on here that I showed the livestream from the ISS who still refused to acknowledge they were wrong. People who won’t acknowledge the reflectors that we put on the moon and you can test are there will continue to tell you how we never went to the moon.

I’d love to talk about how human history didn’t allow for the discovery of dinosaurs before the 1800’s, or about how radiometric dating works that allows us to figure out when bones are from, or how science has rigid testing that is able to uncover fakes. 

18 minutes ago, iPwn said:

What kinds of questions do you have? Or would one have if not you specifically?

How do we know that carbon dating works all the way back millions of years? Wouldn’t you need to have something you know for a fact is millions of years old to test carbon dating on to know it works?

Believing in dinosaurs myself personally, that and why no one found them until the 1800s and then all of a sudden started finding thousands of them are the only things I wonder about 

4 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

no one found them until the 1800s and then all of a sudden started finding thousands of them

[ Dinosaur fossils have been known for millennia, although their true nature was not recognized. The Chinese, whose modern word for dinosaur is kǒnglóng (恐龍, or "terrible dragon"), considered them to be dragon bones and documented them as such. For example, Hua Yang Guo Zhi, a book written by Chang Qu during the Western Jin Dynasty (265–316), reported the discovery of dragon bones at Wucheng in Sichuan Province.[184] Villagers in central China have long unearthed fossilized "dragon bones" for use in traditional medicines, a practice that continues today.[185] In Europe, dinosaur fossils were generally believed to be the remains of giants and other biblical creatures ]

39 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

How do we know that carbon dating works all the way back millions of years? Wouldn’t you need to have something you know for a fact is millions of years old to test carbon dating on to know it works?

Believing in dinosaurs myself personally, that and why no one found them until the 1800s and then all of a sudden started finding thousands of them are the only things I wonder about 

Carbon dating only works to about 570,000 years. We use it for dating things like man made objects, but it doesn’t really work for dinosaurs. To get that far back, we have to rely on other forms of radioactive materials. Uranium-235 and-238 as well as potassium-40. We can verify these work over long periods of time because we’re able to use potassium-40 dating on material and get the exact same answer that uranium-235 and uranium-238 give us.

For dinosaurs, we don’t actually date the bones or the the sedimentary rock that it is encased in. Potassium and uranium don’t get into bones, so we need to check the environment. The sediment that a lays down much like the rings on a tree, just over longer periods of time. And other things like volcanic material which can be dated end up on top or below it.

If we take a core from a very, very active volcanic area, we can test down across the layers of volcanic material and do dating on it. When we do, we find that from the bottom down, the dating shows aging the further down you go in a way that make sense relative to the layers. Because of currents and other factors, a layer of testable material can be exorbitantly larger in one part of the land than another, meaning it’s either more or less buried by sedimentary and other things above. If we test the material from the same “ring” even if it experienced far different outside factors, it still gives us the same data, meaning the data is reliable

Because of the way sedimentary rock works, it’s impossible for something not a part of the process of building the sediment to end up inside it. It’s also impossible to pass through volcanic material or other material and not show signs of doing so. By dating material above and below, we can ballpark when the fossil is from.

Does that help?