What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

23 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'm curious about this: do they normally just sell "summer" tires in the south?  Because those do perform significantly worse than the all-weather tires that are common in the north.

It would make sense, given the average temperature down there.  An all-weather tire would wear much faster and not perform as well in Florida.

Summer tires are generally only high performance (W-Z rated). They have wide and connected tread for more contact to the road. Some cars even have them standard.

I had some for one car, and a set of winters that I had to put on a little earlier than with an all-season. The rubber will actually freeze when it gets cold. I sat in my driveway, and couldn't move because there was a dusting of snow, and it was 20. 

This is the best comparison I could find in 30 seconds on Google images

FFeb-5-Tire-Modification-02-37225.jpg

@MrDrew - yeah i generally know the difference, but i've only lived in the north.  I wasn't sure if summer tires were standard in the south.  Or even if the "all season" tires were a different formulation in the south as compared to the north.  There are lots of different types of rubber.

33 minutes ago, theJ said:

@MrDrew - yeah i generally know the difference, but i've only lived in the north.  I wasn't sure if summer tires were standard in the south.  Or even if the "all season" tires were a different formulation in the south as compared to the north.  There are lots of different types of rubber.

The same compounds everywhere for each type of tire. If you start looking at cars like a GTI, or Civic Si, they'll have a summer tire/bigger rim option. If you look at cars like a Corvette, or more exotic cars, they all come with summer tires standard. 

Summer tires do cost more because they're designed for performance. You'd never see them as an option on a base Camry/Accord because they're not designed to drive in ways that you'd need them. The grip on a warm day is definitely noticeable between a summer and an AS. It's worth it if you have a car that can handle, and a good winter tire that's not going to wear out if you put them on in Oct. 

3 hours ago, theJ said:

There are just different types of all weather. Some better for rain than snow. Also a lot of types that are good “street” tires that give a smooth ride and suck in snow. Most people in the north get good snow tires. I worked for discount tires for awhile and we only sold tires that arnt good in the snow for people who switched out winter and summer tires. 

But in general car tiresin the south would not preform well in snow. From not buying good snow tires to not caring as much if they are balding.

8 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Whenever there is fresh snow/ice, I purposely slide around a bit on my side street before I pull out onto the main road to get a feel for how the roads are handling. There a ton of different types of snow, but once you know what you are dealing with it isn't a problem at all. 

This. Theres dry snow, wet snow, sticky snow, slush, etc. All of them require different driving styles but all are more than managable. I have an Accord coupe and even with a couple inches of snow on the highway i can typically still do 80 on the highway. However if im driving my jeep(high center of gravity, shorter wheel base, more body roll) i have to go slower. Its all about knowing the conditions and knowing your vehicle.

And up north(montana in my instance) snow isnt even the worst in winter imo. Its rain, which can turn to ice or turn snowy roads into ice) and especially slush. Slush is the worst cuz it will pull your rig damn near wherever it wants if you get your tires out of the groove.

Black Ice is the only universally "go extra slow" driving condition. Typically if its really cold and foggy, thats your mixture for that, at least here in Montucky.

And drivers arent universally better anywhere that ive seen. Ive lived in montana, arizona, washington, and spent some time in Maryland. Idiot drivers are everywhere. And the north arent better drivers due to their experience in inclement weather. Take a Montana highway in winter. After a night of snow, youll see people wrecked off the road at a pretty regular clip.

36 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

One side of my nose is ALWAYS clogged. How can i fix this 

Ruling out allergies or infection, you probably have a deviated septum. Usually a birth defect. But a broken nose or trauma to the area can also cause it. I have one after i broke my nose a second time.

16 minutes ago, riceman80 said:

Ruling out allergies or infection, you probably have a deviated septum. Usually a birth defect. But a broken nose or trauma to the area can also cause it. I have one after i broke my nose a second time.

I haven’t tried allergy medicine for an extended period of time. I had a lot of post nasal drip that would result in a ton of mucas but an antibiotic cleared that right up. The side that’s stuffed alternates throughout the day. Been going on for a few months