What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

21 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Imagine screwing up so bad that big pharma can drop shade against you and get away with it.

Lol Dan Rather made a similar comment.

Let’s be honest, you can’t say a black person is half “Planet of the Apes” in 2018 and expect normal folks to be ok with it and to just go about your business like it was a bad joke.  

I’m glad she got fired tbh, just like I was glad when Kathy Griffin was fired.  Why is being a reasonably perceptive human being so tough for some people?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Who really cares about their motivation? There are people who want to self-promote, there are people who are sincerely offended, there are people who want to use her as a way to make a political statement or have some other agenda. Fair enough.

She's an idiot, and the idiocy she peddles like racism and conspiracy theories that are layered deep but ultimately rest in anti-Semitism is the type of idiocy that sad, desperate losers tend to be susceptible to. In a perfect world she never finds a microphone or a social media presence ever again. Every self-serving phony twitter egg saying "cancel her show" helped prevent her from having influence. We should all shut up and take the W.

influence? she makes a ****ty family dramedy on a network station, right? it's not like her show is promoting racism lol. it's not like eliminating roseanne from tv is gonna do anything. ppl just search for **** to get offended by and then join in on ****ting on the individual to self promote their own moral character. and that's not defending roseanne, i dont care about her. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Thank you for proving my point. When confronted with demonstrably false information, some people choose to accept it anyway because it's packaged in a way they like better.

damn dog im too stupid to comprehend what you said but i think you burned me to some extent. kudos. 

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

What Roseanne said was despicable, not defending her at all, if I was ABC I would've done the same thing because they had no other choice in 2018.  It was the only rational business decision. 

but yeah i agree with canceling it too from a network perspective after it trended towards being the biggest news story of the day lol. jesus christ

This is why I don't ever look at news anymore. There is always some controversy and I do not care about any of it. And if it's not controversy, it's something bad happening somewhere that doesn't involve me and I don't want to see it (and usually there is a controversy about those too).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mission27 said:

But the mob mentality zero tolerance society we are becoming, taken to its logical conclusion, is pretty ugly.  People need to get a grip. 

I agree to some degree, but corporations can’t back a person who’s making openly racist comments under the guise of a joke.

While we’re definitely becoming soft and sensitive, this isn’t an example of that imo.  

If I made a comment like that, and my employer was linked to it, I’d lose my job too.  Folks need to learn to maybe shut their mouths and log off Twitter from time to time and these issues wouldn’t happen.  

If you’re not intelligent enough to figure out what’s appropriate and what is wholly inappropriate, say nothing.

28 minutes ago, mission27 said:

People need to stop being so ******* sensitive and it blows, can't we go back to worrying about the important things in life like American Idol and who Taylor Swift is dating?  

i still have no idea why Taylor Swift went out with Loki

4 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

influence? she makes a ****ty family dramedy on a network station, right? it's not like her show is promoting racism lol. it's not like eliminating roseanne from tv is gonna do anything. ppl just search for **** to get offended by and then join in on ****ting on the individual to self promote their own moral character. and that's not defending roseanne, i dont care about her. 

They aren’t firing her because her show promotes racism or doing so will change anything, they just don’t care to do business with a person with those views, which is their right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

Yeah 100% she has influence. Her show is promoting her, and all it takes is a cursory glance through her twitter page and the type of accounts she's giving exposure to.

I knew a kid in college who got sucked into this crap. It starts with readily accessible media that is absolutely 100% targeted by the hard line right, then you get progressively funneled into more and more extreme communities. I got a screencap of a twitter conversation between him and Richard Spencer recently - the whole process took like 3 or 4 years. Don't get me wrong, I blame him entirely, but this is a systemic approach to get people to slowly buy into stuff that they would completely reject without slow, steady, progressively more extreme exposure.

So yeah, if Roseanne Barr's career is over and that reduced the avenues that people have to get sucked into that pit, it's a good thing.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agree to some degree, but corporations can’t back a person who’s making openly racist comments under the guise of a joke.

100%.  I do not blame Disney/ABC at all.  They did what they had to do. 

The issue is a society where people are becoming addicted to outrage and feel the need to participate in mob justice day in, day out.

Mob justice can be effective.  Sometimes it has very positive results (i.e. Harvey Weinstein).  But it also leads to people getting hurt who really don't deserve it and to shutting down important conversations in favor of black and white narratives. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah 100% she has influence. Her show is promoting her, and all it takes is a cursory glance through her twitter page and the type of accounts she's giving exposure to.

I knew a kid in college who got sucked into this crap. It starts with readily accessible media that is absolutely 100% targeted by the hard line right, then you get progressively funneled into more and more extreme communities. I got a screencap of a twitter conversation between him and Richard Spencer recently - the whole process took like 3 or 4 years. Don't get me wrong, I blame him entirely, but this is a systemic approach to get people to slowly buy into stuff that they would completely reject without slow, steady, progressively more extreme exposure.

So yeah, if Roseanne Barr's career is over and that reduced the avenues that people have to get sucked into that pit, it's a good thing.

I just don't see Roseanne being on par with Alex Jones.  Anybody honestly stupid enough to be swayed by those tweets was already lost. 

5 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I just don't see Roseanne being on par with Alex Jones.  Anybody honestly stupid enough to be swayed by those tweets was already lost. 

She is into a lot of the same conspiracies.

And yeah you could argue that. I've thought about it a lot because it's admittedly pretty depressing to see such a sad downward spiral. His parents had issues and fought a lot, he had issues with women (maybe as a result), and that got exploited to get him to initially bite the hook. Maybe he would have been swayed into something equally as harmful or worse, but that doesn't mean we should be discounting the fact that this was a designed recruitment process.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

She is into a lot of the same conspiracies.

And yeah you could argue that. I've thought about it a lot because it's admittedly pretty depressing to see such a sad downward spiral. His parents had issues and fought a lot, he had issues with women (maybe as a result), and that got exploited to get him to initially bit the hook. Maybe he would have been swayed into something equally as harmful or worse, but that doesn't mean we should be discounting the fact that this was a designed recruitment process.

What Roseanne is doing is not a designed recruitment process though.  She's stupid and think its funny and/or contrarian to say ridiculous **** on twitter.  Or maybe she's just stupid and actually believes that crap.  Either way, I find it hard to believe anyone is going to be swayed by those tweets. 

Doesn't make them ok, and I think people have a right to be offended, but the outrage addiction is not healthy.  This isn't really a serious issue.  We're talking about a comedian who made an unfunny and offensive joke.

Quite frankly, she should know better than to make a racist remark like that on a public forum. I'm not sad she was fired nor am I sad that the show was cancelled. 

Just now, mission27 said:

What Roseanne is doing is not a designed recruitment process though.  She's stupid and think its funny and/or contrarian to say ridiculous **** on twitter.  Or maybe she's just stupid and actually believes that crap.  Either way, I find it hard to believe anyone is going to be swayed by those tweets. 

Doesn't make them ok, and I think people have a right to be offended, but the outrage addiction is not healthy.  This isn't really a serious issue.  We're talking about a comedian who made an unfunny and offensive joke.

My vibe on her is that she sincerely believes the conspiracy stuff. I don't get a Bill Burr vibe or anything where he'll say he's a conspiracy guy but the ones he mentions are worked in as premises to his stand up. Maybe no one would be sucked in, but her reduced exposure is going to help, not hurt. Like I said, I'll take the W.

I agree that people who's entire identity is being offended about something aren't doing themselves any favors. And at some point, we'll need to address that. But we shouldn't be straddling the line around what she said, so we can keep our foot on the gas. When it's time to stop, we'll put our foot on the break.

All I see is an idiot who lost a show for being an idiot, which reduces her visibility in the long run. That's a good thing, full stop.