Packers Roster Cuts

Packerraymond

8 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

The thing is, if Bradley is cut, that wouldn’t really help the numbers would it? I’m sure they’d pick up another LS to replace him

Yeah, that post was before the 53 was established. 

Now I just think they swap him out 1 for 1. 

I wouldn't roll with Bradley, but that's just me. 

4 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

The universe where you 100% stopped posting BS until 3PM CST after we engaged. You posted tons of frivolous tweets before I politely asked you stop and then you didn't post even one more inane tweet until after the cut deadline . Herman/Nagler didn't stop tweeting, you stopped posting. Dude, Let it go. I wasn't even engaging you, that exchange was between delta and I, which we clearly solved. You sound (at best) like a crotchety old man at this point. "If someone has a problem, it's their own damn fault". It's not a good look. I'm done responding to you, it's a complete waste of my time. 

You're still dreaming. Herman and Nagler didnt stop posting -- they slowed down. Throughout the day they'd posted all sorts of "chatty" stuff I didnt post at FF. Once the roster decision posts slowed down from them - I wasnt posting as much of their content because it wasnt relevant. Tell yourself whatever you care to, but your comments had no effect or bearing on what and when I posted.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Can someone explain why keeping these guys (or what I missed, especially Crawford)

OT Light, LB Crawford, S Greene

Of the cut players, which would you have rather kept on the roster?

Personally, I preferred Evans to Greene, and probably wanted Ripkowski on the roster over the extra TE, but neither of those were egregious.  The other two cuts that I want to keep around are Amichia and Donnerson.  But neither of those guys are ready to play, I just don't like to give up on the superior athletes.

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Personally, I preferred Evans to Greene, and probably wanted Ripkowski on the roster over the extra TE, but neither of those were egregious.  The other two cuts that I want to keep around are Amichia and Donnerson.  But neither of those guys are ready to play, I just don't like to give up on the superior athletes.

I thought ILB Thomas earned a spot.

I think we need more OLB depth in general especially when you consider the injury prone players.

36 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Ahmad Thomas was the only guy I felt disappointed to have cut, that I might have rather kept.  

I thought that in general they just went with the talent, and went with the upside.  I liked that.  Raven Green is new; maybe he'll merge as a good player.  Evans has had a couple of years to 2nd and 3rd year jump, but hasn't, as a coverage guy.  Maybe Green never will either, but I'm glad to keep him in case he does. 

Same with Light versus Day/Pankey types; they've had their shots to 2nd-year jump (and maybe 3rd and 4th), but haven't really; maybe Light will, glad to take another shot.  (Most likely he won't either, and a year or two from now I'll again be glad to take a new try with a new face....)  But he's more than a couple of years younger, I'm happy to go with the youth.

Very glad to have kept Tonyan, think "who knows" with him.  

Why 8 wrs just a bit silly to me. Every year people think our guys will get taken. Kumerow to me is a worse Nelson which ain’t bad but no need to kee him. I get the rooks to a degree but there were a couple cuts worth keeping over the wrs. 

20 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Why 8 wrs just a bit silly to me. Every year people think our guys will get taken. Kumerow to me is a worse Nelson which ain’t bad but no need to kee him. I get the rooks to a degree but there were a couple cuts worth keeping over the wrs. 

I disagree. If any WR should go it should be the worst one which has seemed to be Davis.

Cobb and Allison are FAs, and possibly won't be back we're Kumerow and the rookies gives us four cheap years. Kumerow is clearly ready to help now, we're the rookies showned to much potential to sneak to the PS.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

I know Aaron Jones is suspended for a few games, but he’s more valuable than Monty or Davis. Total head scratcher here...

Um, either you're confused, or I'm confused what you're referring to.

Aaron Jones is on the suspension list (which is still on the active roster), he just doesn't count as one of the 53. So, Aaron Jones hasn't gone anywhere and has not been released... so I don't know what is head scratcher?

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

I know Aaron Jones is suspended for a few games, but he’s more valuable than Monty or Davis. Total head scratcher here...

Jones is just on the exemption list for 2 games. Don't worry, he will be back and will be our 1,000 yard rusher this year assuming MM let's him. Guy is a stud waiting to be unleashed.

53 minutes ago, Beast said:

Cobb and Allison are FAs, and possibly won't be back we're Kumerow and the rookies gives us four cheap years. Kumerow is clearly ready to help now, we're the rookies showned to much potential to sneak to the PS.

I'm curious to see what if anything we or the Packers learn about these guys this year. 

Hopefully very little, actually!  We'd like Adams/Cobb/Allison/Graham to stay healthy and pay really well.  *IF* that happens, we won't see a lot of snaps for the other four; and even in the snaps they do get, they probably won't get many targets.  

And yeah, we'll get some notes about who's looking good playing for the scout team and stuff like that; maybe there is real and significant knowledge to gain there.  But we know they don't REALLY practice hardly at all for the rest of the season, so I'm not sure how much scout-team walk-through really teaches?  

It's possible, of course, that their will be some packages where they do use one or more of the other guys.  Maybe some packages where they want to have a deep threat, so maybe MVS will catch a couple of long-balls and fandom will be all buzzed about having him play more next year.  

Obviously injury may change all that.  But I sure hope not.  

I guess it's also possible that Philbin may want to try some packages with one of those guys in place of Allison.  So maybe there will be some discretionary opportunities that are given out.  

I imagine part of the process is also just seeing the professionalism of the guys.  Maybe after working with EQS for a couple of months, even if he doesn't get a lot of game snaps, they'll see a really motivated, professional guy and realize that he's really smart and is just missing opportunity; or maybe they'll perceive him otherwise and NOT really want to build around him future.  Same for Moore, maybe they'll be really happy, or maybe they'll not think he's very smart or professional or reliable, who knows.  

But if they don't play and the team really is done practicing for the year, the actual evaluation of the football skills may not have much opportunity.

Archived