Raiders, Bears Reach Agreement on Khalil Mack Trade

ramssuperbowl99

6 hours ago, game3525 said:

Mark Davis has to be broke. 

Anyway, great day for Broncos, Chiefs, and Chargers fans. Mack is out of the division and conference.

When I was in Vegas week before last, I had breakfast with a bunch of guys who are going to be Raiders season ticket holders, and they're paying from $35K to $70K (I forget which package it is, but one of them includes unlimited food and drink/beer for the first 5 years).  Wonder how they're feeling now about spending that kind of scratch?

I think the Bears have hit some home runs in the draft the past few years and that's going to carry them a long way.  Obviously still needs to be seen on the field by some of those guys, but I really like what they've done.  I think Roquan Smith has the potential to be the best player in the 2018 draft.  I'm really hoping that Kevin White can stay healthy because he's an immense talent and I'm a believer in Mitch Trubisky. 

The Bears are going to be a problem for the rest of the league sooner rather than later.

5 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Also, if you wouldn't take a top 5 defensive player in the league for 2 chances at a player who more likely than not will be an average starter at best, I would think that you are overvaluing draft picks.   You can't throw away all your draft picks for nothing, but its not like Mack is a nobody.

Agree to disagree.  As a Lions fan with a team coming off a much better season than the Bears, with a much better QB, I don't trade two first rounders for a 27 year old Mack.  Don't even have to think twice about.  But hey, to each their own.  If the Bears go 7-9 next season and Trubisky doesn't look like the answer moving forward, suddenly you're going to wish you weren't paying 25M/year to a player on the cusp of age 30, with no good draft capital left to improve the team.  And no matter what you may think, going 7-9 in a division with great teams like the Packers and Vikings, and a likely around averageish team in the Lions, is much more likely than not. 

5 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

You act like we know that one or the other.  He was brutal last year, until he actually proves it on the field he's at best an unknown quantity.  Wouldn't be the first high draft pick to bust and wouldn't be the last.  I get it you guys are excited, but you said the same crap about how great Cutler was every year too.  Trubisky throws 7 TDs in 12 games with a 77 rating and all of a sudden his caliber of talent is beyond questioning?  Give me a break.  He has tons to learn and prove before anyone considers him even an average QB.

Everybody and their brother knew that Trubisky should have sat lat last year, which is a big reason why Pace signed Mike Glennon--a move that backfired on the field, even though it helped accomplish Pace's draft deception. But yeah, we still have to see how Trubisky ends up. And he was far from brutal last year--that's pure hyperbole.

Your reasoning is all over the map on this. I suppose you must be panicking, or something. 

13 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So hypothetically, if any player in the NFL could be had for 2 1sts and a 3rd, but would need a new contract immediately as befits his play on the field (so no bargains), how many NFL players would even be under consideration for that price?  I do not think it is a huge number.

Probably the 3 premium positions (and LOT might even be waining a little bit there unless you're getting a guy with, presumably, 8+ years of career ahead of him and who has already shown to be in the highest tier): QB, EDGE, LOT; and that's about it.

What I wonder is "how close do the Bears think they are" since after paying Mack it's going to be harder to sign high end FAs, and they are low on "draft picks that matter" in the next couple years, so next year's Bears squad, and the Bears squad a year after are not likely to be markedly better than this year's Bear's squad.

6 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

We are all hopeful about a new staff, I get it.  I'm hopeful about the Lions new coaching staff too.  But there is just as good of a chance they fail as they succeed.  

That implies all new HCs have a 50/50 shot with complete disregard to their individual abilities, surrounding staff, GM, and talent around them. 

6 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

Agree to disagree.  As a Lions fan with a team coming off a much better season than the Bears, with a much better QB, I don't trade two first rounders for a 27 year old Mack.  Don't even have to think twice about.  But hey, to each their own.  If the Bears go 7-9 next season and Trubisky doesn't look like the answer moving forward, suddenly you're going to wish you weren't paying 25M/year to a player on the cusp of age 30, with no good draft capital left to improve the team.  And no matter what you may think, going 7-9 in a division with great teams like the Packers and Bears, and a likely around average team in the Lions, is much more likely than not. 

Yes, the Bears are clearly banking on Trubisky being a franchise quarterback.That's why they drafted him, and they're encouraged by what they see from him.  If they're wrong and that plan fails, Pace most likely is in hot water. But do you honestly think they should manage the team differently than that? 

Archived