Week 1 GDT Thread - Chicago (0-0) @ Green Bay (0-0)

Leader

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Curious why you say Martinez isn't the best in coverage. I feel that's one of his strengths.

Wasn't that the knock on him? I thought that's all I heard last year. But to be fair I didn't really pay attention to him in coverage that much so I could be wrong.

I watched a breakdown of some GB vs. Chicago tape, and the play design is just awful on some of our plays.  There was a play where Nelson, Cobb, and Nelson were within a 5 yard radius of one another, and there were about 5 defenders in the same area.  Good modern OCs use route distributions to free up the others in coverage, not make it easier on the defense by bunching them up.  I'd love to see Rodgers with a real OC, which unfortunately won't be seen because he'll save McCarthy once again.

40 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

I watched a breakdown of some GB vs. Chicago tape, and the play design is just awful on some of our plays.  There was a play where Nelson, Cobb, and Nelson were within a 5 yard radius of one another, and there were about 5 defenders in the same area.  Good modern OCs use route distributions to free up the others in coverage, not make it easier on the defense by bunching them up.  I'd love to see Rodgers with a real OC, which unfortunately won't be seen because he'll save McCarthy once again.

Well I mean if it happened on one play, **** em, right?

I think it is hard to judge how our offense based on past years due to all the changes they have made.

To say that Fangio has frustrated Rodgers in the past, while true, doesn't account for McCarthy and Philbin redoing it this year, which I really suspect was done with the intent of dealing with the Vikings and as a result the Bears as well.

The last time that Philbin was here, the offense was electric, and Rodgers was stopped very rarely in the regular season.

I suspect that the offense is going to bring the ball out much more quickly this year, and that will stress the Bears defensive backs.  Their linebackers will end up stressed in coverage, and their front 7 will be reduced to a front 5 as Fangio is trying to figure out how to deal with the size of Lewis and Graham in the middle of the field, the threat of Adams on the outside, the occasional use of Valdez Scantling to stretch the field, and the ability to go from power running to 5 wide in the same set.

Bold prediction- sometime in the first half Rodgers hits Valdez Scantling for the deep score as he gets behind the corner left on an island because the safeties are occupied defending the middle.

On top of that, We have the corners to match up well the Bears receivers, so I expect that the Bears will be reduced to a one dimensional running attack.

Am I over confident.  Maybe.  But at least I am not comparing this to the 2012 opener when we were playing a team that was 13-3 the year before and went on to the NFC championship.  That is not this years Bears.

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I think it is hard to judge how our offense based on past years due to all the changes they have made.

Do people really think they changed anything, like in any significant way? I mean I know they said they “did”... but the only thing that has seemed to change is how the oline identifies protection.

Instead of a long winded check... they are doing a number system.

But they aren’t adopting anything like what McVay, Kyle S, or McDaniels are doing. 

5 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

They apparently worked on the playbook this offseason and of course Philbin is back, he was a great 'in-game adjuster' when he was here during his previous stint.

We shall see but I can't argue with what you said, there is a lot of truth in your post.

18 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Do people really think they changed anything, like in any significant way? I mean I know they said they “did”... but the only thing that has seemed to change is how the oline identifies protection.

Instead of a long winded check... they are doing a number system.

But they aren’t adopting anything like what McVay, Kyle S, or McDaniels are doing. 

How could you possibly know this? There's less than 100 people in the world who would know this. You're not one of them ?

9 minutes ago, WaitWhat said:

“Nothing has changed!!!111”, “MM isn’t a real OC!!!11” ah yes, a new season is indeed upon us. 

Well if it turns out to be true then it's his last season.

My gut feeling is it will be a close one, a TD or less in it.  Early season football can be unpredictable with the lack of tape and historically in recent years we tend to take a little while to really get going and playing well so we can be vulnerable early season.

But the Packers are at Lambeau, this is a game they should be winning.

Archived