Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Different people want different things out of the show.  If you want to say the standards set are too high, that's fine, and a valid argument.  Just don't do the whole "bUt dRaGoNs ArEn'T rEaLiStIc!!!!" thing.  That's a dumb argument.

He was joking and yeah introducing magic/dragons/time travel makes being pragmatic more difficult, but that means you should lower the bar for realism, not throw it out the window.

It's become hip to pile on the writing on this show and act like the showrunners are insulting GRRM's books by finishing this up. They don't get everything right, but all in all, this is straight up excellent television.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Do you read the books? Very tertiary character who largely only serves a couple of purposes. 

I agree about the actor... Felt he had some weird mannerisms. Sometimes it was fine, sometimes distracting

Yea, I did. Still think it was a missed opportunity by the writers. It would've built up the Mountain, established Beric's death- later strengthening the impact of his reappearance. And added clarity to the level of Catelyn's mistake. That was Tywin's first act of war, a direct consequence of her actions.

90% of the people I've watched the show with didn't know who Beric was when he showed back up. 

I don't think it's an unforgivable error, but it could've been good. On the flip side I think the writers did a great job cutting out some of the corny aspects George had in the first book. Like most writers George built his characters on the backs of templates and made them his own later as you venture deeper into the story. Jamie the handsome cocky knight getting knocked of his horse and dancing around trying to get his helmet off at the hand's tourney would've been so out of place for the show lol.

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

Agree. I also think it's just not at all what the show was about in season 1-4 and they just completely threw all the groundwork that it set in the trash especially the last couple seasons. I personally havent been able to get used to that yet. It's not the same show anymore.

Yeah, it really is.  The showrunners have struggled since they've moved beyond the books.  There are still great moments though, even in season 7.  The field of fire sequence was fantastic, even though the episode ended with a gotcha fakeout death (which was followed by like 60 of those in Beyond the Wall, the worst episode ever), and Olenna Tyrell's death scene was baller.

This season too.  Sam finding out Dany killed his family in episode 1 was great.  And this episode, for all its flaws, was tense, the action was well done, and it did surprise me a couple of times.  I think you just have to accept the flaws, enjoy what you can, and hope we get to read Winds of Winter sometime this century.

• Like 2

Kinda wish the goofy dragon would’ve tossed his head over Jon and had Jon lop the goofballs head off and then have Arya wipe out the NK with her drop knife trick when the NK is like wtf did someone just ice my dragon. Get it, ice my dragon? That’s a Mr Freeze level pun

It's also annoying that almost every main character is still alive. Greyworm, Jamie, the Hound, Brienne, Sansa, Tyrian, Arya, Brann, Jon, Dany, Sam, the bald whisper, Greywors boo, they all lived and almost every other person in Winterfell died... 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He would've just ice speared Bran's head directly into the Warewood Tree. 

It is possible that the NK didn’t even have violent intentions with bran, honestly. He was aware bran can see the past present and future and it’s entirely possible that he lost his Winged Dragon of Ra Yu-Gi-Oh card years ago and wanted bran to find it for him since it’s worth upwards of almost $2000

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

True.  Forgot about him.  I thought he was a goner.

I think that was my overall issue with this episode.  Just about every human died except for the main characters.  That's not how a battle works when you have that many people on the front lines.  Especially when they are that outnumbered for that long.  I think they could have offed Grey Worm and Brienne, it would have made sense in the story, and it would have made the death toll seem heavier.  

Especially after last episode's farewell vibes. Just felt a little unbelievable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's also annoying that almost every main character is still alive. Greyworm, Jamie, the Hound, Brienne, Sansa, Tyrian, Arya, Brann, Jon, Dany, Sam, the bald whisper, Greywors boo, they all lived and almost every other person in Winterfell died... 

Edd died. How many tears do you think 1 man can contain?

Everyone surviving and us having to suspend belief over that for the sake of plot is dropping these latter seasons in my head to being on par with the Walking dead. Like, it’s just boring to watch a safe show that just teases danger although I do truly love seeing titties on a 50 inch tv

Edited by Tyty
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, it really is.  The showrunners have struggled since they've moved beyond the books.  There are still great moments though, even in season 7.  The field of fire sequence was fantastic, even though the episode ended with a gotcha fakeout death (which was followed by like 60 of those in Beyond the Wall, the worst episode ever), and Olenna Tyrell's death scene was baller.

This season too.  Sam finding out Dany killed his family in episode 1 was great.  And this episode, for all its flaws, was tense, the action was well done, and it did surprise me a couple of times.  I think you just have to accept the flaws, enjoy what you can, and hope we get to read Winds of Winter sometime this century.

For sure. It's still amazing what the show can do and I thought last episode was amazingly well done. I just havent gotten used to things being different from what it was before.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He was joking and yeah introducing magic/dragons/time travel makes being pragmatic more difficult, but that means you should lower the bar for realism, not throw it out the window.

It's become hip to pile on the writing on this show and act like the showrunners are insulting GRRM's books by finishing this up. They don't get everything right, but all in all, this is straight up excellent television.

They literally forgot the most important part of the entire series. The prophecy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I have to disagree with you a little here.  I don't think the criticism is just because it's cool to hate on the show.  Maybe there's some of that, but you have to admit that there is a noticeable difference in quality.  Most of the criticism I've seen is valid.

Some do overdo it, as the show is still enjoyable.  It's just not as good as it used to be, and that sucks.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I would've honestly been happier if the NK killed Arya, Bran, Jon etc and then just kept marching towards Kings Landing. 

To me this means the show was never about the NK & White Walkers. It was always about the battle for the big sword chair. 

2 minutes ago, Tyty said:

It is possible that the NK didn’t even have violent intentions with bran, honestly. He was aware bran can see the past present and future and it’s entirely possible that he lost his Winged Dragon of Ra Yu-Gi-Oh card years ago and wanted bran to find it for him since it’s worth upwards of almost $2000

tumblr_noludzRVF31rg5dd5o3_r1_540.gif

• Like 2