Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

Just now, cddolphin said:

Total season 7 run time is 7 hours 20 minutes (this includes 4 sub-60 minute episodes). Average for the first 6 seasons was 9 hours and 15 minutes. 115 minutes less this season.

I concede the point.  Still, there was nobody other than Olenna at Highgarden, and literally nobody at Casterly Rock we knew well enough to need time dedicated to those battles, especially considering the ole switcharoo ploy that was implemented, which highlighted why and how the battles were so quick. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

I concede the point.  Still, there was nobody other than Olenna at Highgarden, and literally nobody at Casterly Rock we knew well enough to need time dedicated to those battles, especially considering the ole switcharoo ploy that was implemented, which highlighted why and how the battles were so quick. 

It's not just the battles. 

A bunch of characters have just been swept to one side immediately. The Greyjoys, the Sandsnakes and Tyrells. No build up to it, just "oh yeah so they side with Daenerys... and they're dead"

8 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

A bunch of characters have just been swept to one side immediately. The Greyjoys, the Sandsnakes and Tyrells. No build up to it, just "oh yeah so they side with Daenerys... and they're dead"

I'm not going to disagree with you.  GRRM even complained that the show was not going to introduce one of his favorite characters that he has yet to introduce in the book.  It was a Tyrell, a Loras sibling I believe.  Still, people have to remember there is a budget.  It's unfortunate, but think about the characters that missed the cut and time unspent one characters in Lord of the Rings, in Harry Potter...

Garlan Tyrell is only briefly in the first 5 books, but pretty much every mention/interaction of him drips with badassery.  There is another brother back at Highgarden too, but we've only heard about him in the books.

I think the decision to do 7 and then 6 episodes was purely a financial one by HBO.

Edited by THE DUKE

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

I hear you. I'm assuming the Tyrell army was on their way to King's Landing and Jaime just had to get through a small garrison..? Or had they not left yet, and did the Lannisters straight-up beat the Tyrell forces? We didn't really get clarification.

The clarification is that the Tyrells are primarily farmers. Not fighters. So they got ran through rather quickly because they suck at fighting.

The Olenna-Jaime interaction alludes to it.

Olenna Tyrell: It's done?
Jaime Lannister: It is.
Olenna Tyrell: "And now the rains weep o'er our halls." Did we fight well?
Jaime Lannister: As well as could be expected.
Olenna Tyrell: It was never really our forte. Golden roses, indeed!
Edited by scar988
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Garlan Tyrell is only briefly in the first 5 books, but pretty much every mention/interaction of him drips with badassery.  There is another brother back at Highgarden too, but we've only heard about him in the books

If I remember right, his name is Willas? He's the actual heir to highgarden, and the one they wanted to marry Sansa to. I think he's not somewhat lame after fighting with the red viper in a tourney or something? Hard to remember the particulars after all this time. 

But yeah, Garlan is a badass. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

Any shot at revenge appearance? 

Don't see that happening in the show. They basically just deleted Garlan and Willas from the story and made Loras the pending lord of Highgarden. I get it - through the books at this point, Garlan and Willas have had very little to do with the overall plot. Garlan is a tremendous fighter and was a major contributor in the blackwater battle, and Willas has yet to be seen on screen, so in order to pear it down for television, it makes sense that those two not be involved. 

2 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Any shot at revenge appearance? 

Not in the show.  In the show, Loras and Margery were the only Tyrell children, and Cersei lit them up like the 4th of July.  In the show, Olena was all that was left before the end.  The Tyrell's were really neutered in the show, they are much more formidable in the books.

5 hours ago, mse326 said:

It's possible that he thinks he should wait for Jon to reveal that so that Sansa has more protection? That's the only thing I can think of.

But this whole thing where he has to act like this came out of no where.

Also. So he doesnt take the Knights of the Vale and go home before the fight.

I want to talk about the Jon and Dany scene meeting and Missandei going through the into and whatever. Not because it was funny, but it really shows the differences between them as leaders. 

Dany has a pretty easy path to where she is. I just love the difference between how she demands respect for what she has done with the paragraph long intro. Then there is Jon, who doesn't care about others knowing what he has done. I laughed at the Davos intro like everyone else, but I love looking at stuff like that afterwards.

Then again this is coming from a book reader who can't stand Dany lol

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I want to talk about the Jon and Dany scene meeting and Missandei going through the into and whatever. Not because it was funny, but it really shows the differences between them as leaders. 

Dany has a pretty easy path to where she is. I just love the difference between how she demands respect for what she has done with the paragraph long intro. Then there is Jon, who doesn't care about others knowing what he has done. I laughed at the Davos intro like everyone else, but I love looking at stuff like that afterwards.

It actually reminded me of the scene between Mance and Jon way back when. 

Mance: "He was their king. Last of a bloodline that stretches back before the first men". 

Jon: "Grenn came from a farm" 

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I'm not entirely sure what you want for those characters, though. The Sandsnakes and the Tyrells only roles have been to oppose the Lannister's. That's all they've ever done in the show, and ending with revenge from the Lannister's is a very sensible end for each. The Tyrell's strength has never been in military, it has always been in politics and money. Olenna herself said that. It's pretty reasonable that a Lannister army, which has long been one of the best militaries in Westeros, would win that battle handily. There's nothing important to show in that defeat. You could certainly show a Lannister army cutting down a smaller and weaker Tyrell defensive force, but it wouldn't actually contribute anything, plot-wise. Olenna got her final personal shot at the Lannisters, with the Joffrey moment, which was a fitting way for her character to fall.

The Sandsnakes had relatively little plot ever, so I'm not sure what you wanted them to have. I'm glad they're gone, personally. That's been a bad plot point for ages.

The Greyjoys are still around and will still have plenty of play going forward. Theon is alive, Yara is alive, and Euron is obviously succeeding right now. They haven't been swept to the side at all.

2 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

It comes down to their motivations. Dany and Jon have one reason for this meeting. Dany wants throne, Jon wants to save everyone. 

Dany doesn't care if the WWs tear everything up, Jon doesn't care to ever sit on the throne. 

Despite these two different wants, I feel as if only one is going to succeed.