Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

12 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Valid points.

I will say, I spent some time today reading articles, and quite a number of them were attempting to portray those who disagree that it should have been Arya killing the Night King (instead of Jon) as being misogynistic and how her character arc has led to this moment and it made me realize...

It's not that those reviewers and the general public is 'wrong', it's that D&D did a poor job of continuing GRRM's story and explaining the significance of Jon's lineage.

I still view the show and books as separate, but it just made me realize that the storytelling from what GRRM intended seems to have gone sideways in favor of 'what can make the biggest impact'.

Highest ratings. Yep, that hits the nail on the head for the story direction the last few seasons.

They seem to contradict themselves in the same episode with the capabilities of the Wights and WW's. Arya hiding in the castle where the Wights pick up on the slightest movement (thank God for her training) yet somehow she made it to the NK when he was completely surrounded by his minions and in a very unappealing place where snow being walked on will make sounds, even the slightest footstep will leave a trace. But don't bother explaining how that even happened, nor how any of the other characters made it out of being tackled and dragged around 10 to 20 times during that episode.

The scene with the dragons fighting was everything you could have hoped for but its like they ignored almost every small detail in this episode dealing with unnwinnable situations. Come to think of it, Theon probably was in the best position to survive and yet he ran towards his death instead of away from while every other character got by while having death charge right at them.

I don’t have a problem with Arya killing the Night King it’s what they built the story arc for.  The Brown eyes / blur eyes / green eyes prophecy clearly had this in mind. 

Last year Arya showed her stealth / disguise abilities.  That scene in the yard Arya was as badass as you want to see in an assassin.  The Melisandre scene paid off the S3 training scene with Syrio with “Not today” and the convo beteeen the 2 when Melisandre took Gendry away from the Band and delivered the original prophecy.    The assasination fit perfectly.  And the sacrifice Beric made fit perfectly with his prophecy fulfilled with Arya being the king killer.  

The problem isn’t Arya - it’s the library scene.    I don’t know how the writers and directors didn’t see that coming.   

I have very few complaints overall about S8 (ep1 had moments that felt forced, Ghost’s USAF’s) but the library scene will be one of them I bet never shakes the label as completely out of character for the Arya arc.  

Edited by Broncofan

52 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I am holding out hope that there is something more to the Night's King aspect.  Like a video game boss that you beat just to find out it has a second form.  

I sincerely hope this is the case. That seemed too easy, I'm waiting for Quill to punch Thanos in the face and ruin the plan...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Whites swarmed the dragon and almost killed it within 30 seconds. Almost every other soldier in the army was killed. So it's just inconsistent. If they swarm a dragon they can kill it easily but if they swarm Jon, Jamie, Brienne, or any other important character they're able to fight them off like it's nothing? Lmao. 

What dragon did the wights (spell it correctly because the other can be construed as a reference to the White Walkers - which actually appear to be sentient whereas your basic wight does not) kill?  They swarmed.  The were a hindrance.  Drogon escaped and lived.  Hell, Rhaegal was even in the preview for next week's episode if people were looking close enough.  Only dragon that's bought it at this point is the Viserion, who was killed, brought back as undead, and then killed again when his maker was offed.

You hand out these hyperbolic assessments like they're Halloween candy.  I mean, good Lord, you must have been a riot when LOTR came out.  "The Ring Wraiths could feel the ring and had fell beasts they flew on.  If all they were after was finding Frodo, they could have just swooped down from above on him at any time and snatched him up.  That's a plot-hole!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I don’t have a problem with Arya killing the Night King it’s what they built the story for.

That scene in the yard she was as badass as you want to see in an assassin.  The Melisandre scene paid off the S3 tracing scene with “Not today” and the convo beteeen the 2 when Melisandre took Gendry away from the Band.    The assasination fit perfectly.  And the sacrifice Beric made fit perfectly with his prophecy fulfilled with Arya being the king killer. 

The problem isn’t Arya - it’s the library scene.    I don’t know how the writers and directors didn’t see that coming.   

I have very few complaints overall about S8 (ep1 had moments that felt forced, Ghost’s USAF’s) but the library scene will be one of them I bet never shakes the label as completely out of character for the Arya arc.  

What they changed the story for.

They built Arya up for the likes of Cersei. It was always about Cersei with Arya since episode 2. This was back when they still had source material. Cersei was meant for Arya, the Great Other/NK was meant for Jon and or Dany or Aegon (Books). Yet now those two characters have completely had their purpose blasted out of existence.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The LBC said:

What dragon did the wights (spell it correctly because the other can be construed as a reference to the White Walkers - which actually appear to be sentient whereas your basic wight does not) kill?  They swarmed.  The were a hindrance.  Drogon escaped and lived.  Hell, Rhaegal was even in the preview for next week's episode if people were looking close enough.  Only dragon that's bought it at this point is the Viserion, who was killed, brought back as undead, and then killed again when his maker was offed.

You hand out these hyperbolic assessments like they're Halloween candy.  I mean, good Lord, you must have been a riot when LOTR came out.  "The Ring Wraiths could feel the ring and had fell beasts they flew on.  If all they were after was finding Frodo, they could have just swooped down from above on him at any time and snatched him up.  That's a plot-hole!"

Yeah, the reason why Drogon got into trouble was because he was trying to protect Dany.   Once Dany was thrown Drogon simply shook them off going to the air.   I didn’t take that to be nearly getting killed because they were overpowering him.   More Dany held him back from asserting his usual abilities to smash them.  

FWIW I do think it was convenient to save so many key characters.  But I think the next 3 eps will thin the herd.   Having said that the swarming part didn’t bother me.  It coincided perfectly with Drogon trying to keep them away from Dany.  

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

He's not wrong in the sense that every other person in that episode, dragons included managed to get stabbed wounded and or killed and yet the Wights seemed to miss the good guys most of the time. Outside of a couple of deaths, Arya hit her head which wasn't even the doing of a Wight and seemed that was the only wound she sustained.

6 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

What they changed the story for.

They built Arya up for the likes of Cersei. It was always about Cersei with Arya since episode 2. This was back when they still had source material. Cersei was meant for Arya, the Great Other/NK was meant for Jon and or Dany or Aegon (Books). Yet now those two characters have completely had their purpose blasted out of existence.

It’s the TV canon.   They clearly built it up last year with the Melisandre Arya meeting.   I don’t mind that it’s different.

TBH I just pray we can have a book ending so we can debate the merits of either vs.  each other lol. 

12 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Not a plot hole, just bad writing. 

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It’s the TV canon.   They clearly built it up last year with the Melisandre Arya meeting.   I don’t mind that it’s different.

TBH I just pray we can have a book ending so we can debate the merits of either vs.  each other lol. 

They built up Jon. Melisandre was the one who brought him back and was convinced because of it and even traveled to Dany to convince her of who Jon was. She completely contradicted  her conversation with Davos in this episode when she brought up blue eyes.

Edited by Calvert28

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Not a plot hole, just bad writing. 

So now J.R.R Tolkein is bad writing?  Because that stuff was in the canon literature too.

What exactly do you consider good writing, might I ask?  You seem to have some really unrealistic expectations.  Either that or you're one of those that just complains for the sake of complaining because it gives you some sense of superiority.  Someone who is utterly incapable of one of the principal requirements for readers/viewers of the fantasy genre: Suspending disbelief.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sunnygsm said:

A part that bugged me was how the episode undermined itself in some ways. The first 30-40 mins fantastically ramped up this growing sense of dread. By the time the wights climb the wall, I genuinely thought they were done. I already expected them to get overwhelmed, but they did in a way that was far greater than I had imagined.

But then they started teasing the viewers. Showing our heroes surrounded, get stabbed, chomped and whatever else. They had no right to survive. Cut to 5 minutes later and they're still alive and somehow the swarm of wights is gone. I struggle with that aspect of this episode. It felt like a cheap way to tug at the viewer and by the 5th time it happened, my immersion was broken. 

I still don't get how survived Sam survived he was laying there staring at Jon as he was about to mauled to death. Is there any other character that cheated death more than him on the show?