Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Jamie was a dirtbag and redeemed his honor by abandoning Cersei and coming to fight for the north in the battle of Winterfell.  He beds Brienne and seems happy.  Then for some reason decides to crap on all of that to ride to kings landing and die with Cersei (the person who’s trying to kill him).  Just seemed like a weak ending.  

But deep down, she's the only person he truly loved and being away from her, he seemingly realized that. I guess I just didnt have as big of a problem w/ it. They always said they came into this world together and they would leave it together.

I think the biggest problem w/ this season is we only have 6 episodes. This needs to be 10. They really sped up a lot of things and this is just one example. I know all he said to Brienne is that he was a terrible person or whatever right before he left but they should've spent more time on this part. Unfortunately they couldn't.

Jamie wanted to save Cersei's life because he loved her. She was pregnant with their child.

He's had moments in just about every season where he's picked Cersei. Jamie had reclaimed his honor by defying her and going up north, but to me, it makes perfect sense for him to go back to her to try to save her life.

It doesn't make him weak, stupid, or ruin his character arc. It adds depth to it. He became a better man, but still held onto the love he felt for his sister his whole life. You can't just flip that switch.

• Like 3

I didn't mind Jaime Lannister's ending too much. I think he has already been redeemed by the time he dies. He and Tyrion are similar in the sense that they both get drawn back to their siblings no matter the circumstances. I would have liked a bit more time with Cercei before her end, but I'm not sure what she could have done given how things played out. 

One genuine question. What do people think is going to be the "sweet" part of the supposed bittersweet ending. I guess surviving the white walkers was one part of that. Other than that the ending is looking pretty bleak. 

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I agree, which is why I am REALLy struggling with Arya's purpose in that episode other than to show one side of Dany's destruction. Everyone likes Arya so they used her POV to show the devastation on the ground I guess.

That's what D&D said in the after episode. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I agree, which is why I am REALLy struggling with Arya's purpose in that episode other than to show one side of Dany's destruction. Everyone likes Arya so they used her POV to show the devastation on the ground I guess.

That's exactly what her purpose was in the episode. Her plan didn't work out because of Dany's turn, so she was our anchor to the personal side of the destruction.

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Made sense for it to be her instead of a soldier. Davos was shown leading a couple packs of citizens, and its not the same effect as someone in the same position as those citizens were. Davos was around other troops, all from the winning side kinda just pointing "Go there, its safe."

1 minute ago, sunnygsm said:

I didn't mind Jaime Lannister's ending too much. I think he has already been redeemed by the time he dies. He and Tyrion are similar in the sense that they both get drawn back to their siblings no matter the circumstances. I would have liked a bit more time with Cercei before her end, but I'm not sure what she could have done given how things played out. 

One genuine question. What do people think is going to be the "sweet" part of the supposed bittersweet ending. I guess surviving the white walkers was one part of that. Other than that the ending is looking pretty bleak. 

I really could have done without the Euron fight and given a bit more time to end Jamie and Cersei instead.  There was no real point to having Jamie kill him and get wounded in the process.  

It would have been way more satisfying if Drogon just charred Euron.  

3 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

It makes sense for them to say that instead of "Everyone is going to be depressed."

Edited by seminoles1

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I always looked at it as there were 2 characters basically: Jaime Lannister and the Kingslayer. The Kingslayer was defined by his skill as a swordsman and the fact that he killed the king he was sworn to protect by stabbing him in the back. The Kingslayer was supposed to be Tywin ("I need you to be the man you were born to be"), but instead he's captured and loses everything, his good looks, his sword hand ("I was this hand", "Why would anyone want to live with no hand", "Better a clean death than a life as a cripple"), and his dignity. 

Then comes the scene with Brienne in the bathtub, which is one of the best scenes in the series. He explains what he did was ethical - he did it to save half a million innocent lives. He falls over in Brienne's arms and she yells "HELP! The Kingslayer!" and he whispers "Jaime, my name is Jaime". That was the death of the dishonorable Kingslayer and the rebirth of Jaime Lannister. His first action is to run back and save Brienne's life from that bear. He re-joins the Kingsguard and there's a scene where Joffrey taunts him with his accomplishments in the book of the great Kingsguard and he says "there is time for me to add".

They basically constantly teased that he would redeem himself, and he sort of did, by going against Cersei to fight the Night King, but then slipped back.

That is a good outlook on it and I can't disagree TBH. Your last line sums it up pretty well also if this is what people were pissed about. I just don't think him going back to the one person he has always truly loved is just a bad way to end his character but I guess I can see why people would have a problem w/ it. Just not as important to me.

18 minutes ago, JonStark said:

it's 2019

people are more concerned with being critics than actually sitting back and enjoying things

I somehow must have skimmed over this when reading through, and quote feature fail for 

@Adrenaline_Flux,  but OH MY, lol

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cd96d186a4a536159

Edited by oldman9er
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Jamie wanted to save Cersei's life because he loved her. She was pregnant with their child.

He's had moments in just about every season where he's picked Cersei. Jamie had reclaimed his honor by defying her and going up north, but to me, it makes perfect sense for him to go back to her to try to save her life.

It doesn't make him weak, stupid, or ruin his character arc. It adds depth to it. He became a better man, but still held onto the love he felt for his sister his whole life. You can't just flip that switch.

This is really where I"m at also. He would leave her for whatever reason then immediately go back to her when he could. Knowing Dany was headed to the city, he felt he needed to get back there, to her. I was surprised to see so many people had a gripe w/ it, but, again, it's just more important to some people. I didn't mind it at all.

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Jamie was a dirtbag and redeemed his honor by abandoning Cersei and coming to fight for the north in the battle of Winterfell.  He beds Brienne and seems happy.  Then for some reason decides to crap on all of that to ride to kings landing and die with Cersei (the person who’s trying to kill him).  Just seemed like a weak ending.  

That reason is because he has always lived for Cersei. Now, she's pregnant with his kid. Everyone is acting like him trying to save Cersei and their child completely ruins all of his redemption, and it doesn't. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Someone mentioned the angles before which I also agree with, but I feel like this was showing that Drogon is the alpha. They were all dragons, but they've always brought him up as the largest and most important dragon. It makes sense he would be able to do what he did. 

Agree with this. There should always be a level of believable luck added in, and the evasion tactics were flat out better when expecting the assault.

( though I do agree from last week that Dany and Drogon HAD to of been looking out for surprise attacks. That sucked.. but may have been trying to telegraph that spies (Varys? Tyrion?) had tipped off the bad guys of where and when they would be exactly where they would be, dunno. Basically as suggested many times over, they don't always squeeze in every little bit they want to on a ticking clock winding down )