Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

16 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I don’t know if i agree that it was lazy writing. Everyone knew this would be the most significant move in Westeros in a long time and Varys went all in on the person he trusted to be the best leader in his lifetime. I think he understood the consequences and went with it because it’s what he believed and needed Jon to hear what he was saying. It was him finally not hiding in the shadows. 

Well given he was trying to poison Dany with his little birds, I'm not really buying the "finally coming out of the shadows" angle.    Approaching Jon in full view coming straight off the boat, and having THAT convo was purely out of convenience - it ties up that angle in 1 scene, instead of the convo with Jon in private, only to be discovered by Tyrion at a later scene (or the reveal of Tyrion's knowledge).    I do like how he owned his treason, though.  That was a boss scene.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Well given he was trying to poison Dany with his little birds, I'm not really buying the "finally coming out of the shadows" angle.    Approaching Jon in full view coming straight off the boat, and having THAT convo was purely out of convenience - it ties up that angle in 1 scene, instead of the convo with Jon in private, only to be discovered by Tyrion at a later scene (or the reveal of Tyrion's knowledge).    I do like how he owned his treason, though.  That was a boss scene.

I completely missed the poison bit, I thought he was just being a sexual predator with that child 

Btw - for those complaining about how Jaime and Cersei died.......

Wasnt if prophesied (in the books) that Cersei's younger brother would kill her?

Jaime is younger than Cersei by small amount....but I think Tyrion is the youngest.....and who was it that told Jaime to take Cersei down where the dragons were buried and where they eventually were killed?

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Btw - for those complaining about how Jaime and Cersei died.......

Wasnt if prophesied (in the books) that Cersei's younger brother would kill her?

Jaime is younger than Cersei by small amount....but I think Tyrion is the youngest.....and who was it that told Jaime to take Cersei down where the dragons were buried and where they eventually were killed?

Counter-point: Had Dany not decided to burn the city to the ground, they would've escaped and sailed away. Tyrion didn't kill Jaime and Cersei, Dany did. And I'm not mad that they died, I'm mad that Cersei died from a pile of rocks and not actually being executed.

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Counter-point: Had Dany not decided to burn the city to the ground, they would've escaped and sailed away. Tyrion didn't kill Jaime and Cersei, Dany did. And I'm not mad that they died, I'm mad that Cersei died from a pile of rocks and not actually being executed.

No prophesy is 100% correct. What was told to her was simply that her younger brother (Tyrion as it turned out) would kill her - which I suspect in the books was an additional motivating factor in her hate for Tyrion.

The prophesy didnt include every circumstance surrounding it - and in a way he did.

The dynamic of the Jaime/Cersei relationship also came to play. Their love and desire to live longer together got them down there - along with Tyrion's suggestions - where Dany's efforts to take the Iron Throne (a facet of the story that goes way back) was the finishing touch.

Edited by Leader

No prophesy is 100% correct. What was told to her was simply that her younger brother (Tyrion as it turned out) would kill her. The prophesy didnt include every circumstance surrounding it - and in a way he did.

The dynamic of the Jaime/Cersei relationship also came to play. Their love and desire to live longer together got them down there - along with Tyrion's suggestions - where Dany's efforts to take the Iron Throne (a facet of the story that goes way back) was the finishing touch.

Counter-point: Cersei was going to die regardless of where she was. Tyrion's actions didn't influence her death one single bit. IF you wanted to make the argument that she died because of Tyrion, a better argument would be that he killed her by telling Jaime to ring the bells, since that's what set Dany off on her rampage.

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And I'm not mad that they died, I'm mad that Cersei died from a pile of rocks and not actually being executed.

Not mad. But yeah pretty much. Would have enjoyed a cruel and elongated torture for her, as was well deserved.

33 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Anyone think that Brienne will end up pregnant with Jamie's offspring?  Considering Tyrion is on the chopping block she could be the last hope of continuing the Lannister's lineage.  

Yes... and maybe. It is either Tyrion or Dany though.. and my money is on Dany getting.. chopped. 

30 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I completely missed the poison bit,

I did too.. and that makes plenty of sense, when thinking back to the early ( and only ) convo between Varys and kid.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Tyrion's actions didn't influence her death one single bit.

I disagree with this thought entirely. Tyrion freed Jaime and told him to escape with Cersei through that dungeon.

"Tyrion killing Cersei" doesnt mean he has to stick a knife in her eye to be true.

I disagree with this thought entirely. Tyrion freed Jaime and told him to escape with Cersei through that dungeon.

"Tyrion killing Cersei" doesnt mean he has to stick a knife in her eye to be true.

Like I said, a better argument would be that Tyrion killed Cersei by telling Jaime to ring the bells. Without the bells going off, Cersei and Jaime escape and Tyrion probably dies of treason.

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Not mad. But yeah pretty much. Would have enjoyed a cruel and elongated torture for her, as was well deserved.

Her crying was so tremendous though. She knew all along "when you play the Game of Thrones you either win or you die", giving that patented Lena Headley smirk when she wipes out tons of people, and then when everything's gone she can't take it.

So damn satisfying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Like I said, a better argument would be that Tyrion killed Cersei by telling Jaime to ring the bells. Without the bells going off, Cersei and Jaime escape and Tyrion probably dies of treason.

There's no evidence Jaime had anything to do with ringing the bells. The city people were calling for it as a way to save themselves. It's left to the audience's imagination that some one of them was doing it.