Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

Just now, oldman9er said:

JL did recently Knight Brienne. That could turn out insignificant, but maybe it defines her final path next week, for those that still give a crap. :/ 

To me that scene was about Brienne finally getting the recognition and respect she deserves from her male peers. I thought it was an worthless scene because I assumed the same thing was accomplished when Jaime asked to serve under her which to me seemed far more significant given he is a proven commander in the field and she has never lead anyone outside of Lady Catelyn to a guest tent.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Maybe they would have stayed up on the walls, had the Iron Fleet done what was expected of them?

Putting them on the walls would have been just sending more to slaughter, since Drogon was still viable and kicking arse. The scorpions were too slow to adjust, and Drogon/Dany were taking advantage of all the angles this time. 

Maybe.  I was just explaining general warfare tactics.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

To me that scene was about Brienne finally getting the recognition and respect she deserves from her male peers. I thought it was an worthless scene because I assumed the same thing was accomplished when Jaime asked to serve under her which to me seemed far more significant given he is a proven commander in the field and she has never lead anyone outside of Lady Catelyn to a guest tent.

All of episode 2 was worthless when nobody died in the battle

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

JL did recently Knight Brienne. That could turn out insignificant, but maybe it defines her final path next week, for those that still give a crap. :/ 

Shes the heir to Tarth. I dont really see the point outside a feel good moment before heading into a certain death situation.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Ok regardless of whether the book gets published or not the intent does not seem from GRRM's point of view that he wanted her turned into what she was last night. Especially doesn't after reading the well thought out excerpt you posted. As I said earlier, have her kill the Tully men who surrender after defeat in season 7 and kill the Lannister army after they surrender last night. Have her go straight for Cersei after those bells sound, collapse that building and have innocent lives lost in that manner if you want us to debate whether she still has good intentions or has just gone mad.

The writers didn't want discussion or debate though, they wanted shock and awe. Dany has committed the most deplorable and evil act of any character on the show. There is no coming back from the genocide of an entire civilization. We were all appalled that the red woman had Stanis burn his daughter alive, Dany just did that time 1000x's.

There are two outcomes left for her, she realizes she lost it and accepts the consequences be it chains or death, or she kills every last person who doesn't bow to her. She is 100% a villain now and it isn't debatable.

There are and have been very few heroes in this story... at all' and the ones that are either get crapped on or killed.  That's been Martin's message from the beginning.  Be it Dothraki, Taergaryen, Lannister, Baratheon, it really hasn't mattered - the commonfolk get the crap end of the stick no matter who wins whenever a city is sacked - and we've heard it from multiple perspectives.  Go to S1 when they're talking about what the Dothraki do whenever they take a city (kill the men, enslave the children, rape the women).  Then to Season 2 and the Attack on King's Landing, when Cersei is describing to Sansa what it's like when a city is sacked.

Dany crucified 163 masters in Mereen "in response for the 163 children she'd found crucified on the road to Mereen" whether the particular 163 chosen were actually responsible for said child-crucifixion or not.  Her exact words when she returned to Mereen to from Vaes Dothrak to find the city under attack: "I will crucify the masters.  I will set fire to their fleet.  I will kill every last one of their soldiers and return their cities to dirt."  That was before Tyrion talked her out of that plan.  She has consistently shown that her benevolence is part and parcel with her being calm.  When someone "wakes the dragon" she flips the switch to want to kill them all pretty damn quickly.  She has a pretty solid track record of justifying some pretty wretched behavior because she wants to.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Although now that I think about it, why the hell would they form up outside the walls in the first place? All you are doing is making it easy for Dothraki. Force the horsemen to scale the walls to breach the city, don't engage them in open field.

But of course, cinematically doesn't look as cool.

To be fair, they're conscripts (and they know they're conscripts).  Even in actual Medieval warfare the conscripts (the sell-swords) were the first line of melee fighters sent in (to weaken the opposition forces as much as possible before the country/city-state's actual forces were put forward - even if all they did was tired out the opposition without claiming many lives).  I mean hell, remember Braveheart when they "sent in the Irish"?

56 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

He's not. The most powerful character in the series now, couldn't save Jon's dragon. And I'm still trying to figure out why he decided to spare Jaime? Like what was the point. Jaime did not do anything significant.

Save him as prevent him from getting hit?  He doesn’t have any experience flying one yet.  Save him after the fact?  He can warg into creatures but he can’t regenerate vital organs and blood.  

I’m not sure that he necessarily spared Jamie except for the chance to speak up at his trial seeing punishment for crippling him.  But like Bran said, everything happened the only way it could.  Becoming crippled had to happen.  Pretty selfless way to view things.  

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

I said that other people expected "The prophecy", and that's why they're upset. I did not say I thought it had to happen.

Ummm...

11 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Jaime was supposed to strangle Cersei. That's why people are upset about his "arc".

This was your first post today.