Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

To be fair, the hammer was pretty awesome. It's as if he researched about what his dad used in war and decided whether or not to learn how to use one.

Yea no I'm on board 

it just wasn't a lose end I thought exactly needed revisiting...but it works and is kinda cool how they are doing it

37 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

No, inheritance rules always go down the eldest  bloodline in order.

King -> King's first born -> King's first born's first born -> King's second born -> King's second born's first born.

So Rhaegar's children are ahead of Dany in succession.

I didn't realize that.  I could understand Rhaeger's son being in succession before Dany, because he's a male, and can more naturally carry on the last name, but it sounds weird that his kid would be in line before his sibling, if he never actually sits on the throne.   

So if Joffrey had a son, and then Joffrey dies,while Robert is still alive, (so before Joffrey was ever king), that son would have a greater claim to the throne than Tommen, after Robert dies? 

Nothing makes me happier than reading that HBO is not planning on adapting Robert's Rebellion for the exact reasons they listed.  There are no surprises.  If there's a really cool character added, you know he doesn't make it.  We know exactly what happens and how we get there.  Not only that, but we know the fate of the survivors, too.

Just now, jyod21 said:

I didn't realize that.  I could understand Rhaeger's son being in succession before Dany, because he's a male, and can more naturally carry on the last name, but it sounds weird that his kid would be in line before his sibling, if he never actually sits on the throne.   

So if Joffrey had a son, and then Joffrey dies,while Robert is still alive, (so before Joffrey was ever king), that son would have a greater claim to the throne than Tommen, after Robert dies? 

But that's not how it happened.  Aerys was King, he was killed, making Rhaegar king. 

If Robert was still alive, Joffrey had a son, then Joffrey died, Tommen would become king in the event of Robert's death, not Joffrey's son. 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

But that's not how it happened.  Aerys was King, he was killed, making Rhaegar king. 

If Robert was still alive, Joffrey had a son, then Joffrey died, Tommen would become king in the event of Robert's death, not Joffrey's son. 

Rhaegar died before Aerys

The second part is incorrect. Tommen would not be higher in line than Joff's son. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

yes, that is accurate

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

Aerys was still alive when Robert killed Rhaeger. 

I know that's not what happened, I was just trying to create a hypothetical, to see how the succession would hold up.  

You and Forge are saying two different things.  I don't know the actual answer, I just assumed the sibling would be next, if the first born never actually serves as king, I didn't think it would just pass on to his son.  It's different than Stannis's claim over Joffrey.  

Just now, 1ForTheThumb said:

With that logic the show would have never existed because its based on books and majority of the story-lines were already known.

Nope, because the difference is we won't know the fate of every single character once this show ends. 

Game of Thrones will have survivors.  We won't know what happens to them after Game of Thrones ends, just conjecture and projection. 

Robert's Rebellion ends with Ned surviving, Robert surviving, Daenerys surviving, Jon surviving, Jamie surviving.  If the story started there and we didn't have Game of Thrones, we would be able to speculate and project that Jon's true parentage might or might not be revealed to him.  We would be able to speculate whether or not Daenerys and Viserys come into play down the road.  We would be able to speculate what happens with Ned, how Robert ruled the Seven Kingdoms. 

But the knowledge of Game of Thrones ruins that conjecture. 

That's the difference.  I don't know why every time I bring up my dislike for prequels everybody's like, "Well by that logic..." That's not how it works.  It's based on future projection at the end. 

If the original Star Wars trilogy never existed, the prequels would still hold value if you knew what happened at the end.  You would be able to speculate on what happens to Obi Wan.  To Yoda.  To Luke, to Leia.  Will they realize their potential as Jedi?  Will Obi Wan and Yoda be able to bring back the Jedi?  Will Anakin ever come back to the light side?  But because of the original trilogy, we already know and future projection is ruined. 

Take the new Star Wars movies.  If the original trilogy was made AFTER The Force Awakens, it wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable.  Leia and Han split up and have a son that goes to the dark side and Luke goes into hiding.  That would ruin the enjoyment and the story arc of the original trilogy if watched AFTER The Force Awakens because the climax and resolution would mean nothing with that foreknowledge. 

Robert prevailing over the Targaryens is much more exciting and fun to watch if you don't know he turns to too much drinking and he gets killed by a boar anyway. 

Ned's badassery and ability to beat the best of the best of the best isn't quite as fun knowing that he gets his head chopped off due to a deranged inbred snob.