GDT Week 1: SEA @ DEN

Broncofan

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The crazy part was that Keenum nearly cost us the game - and yet his play was still overall miles ahead of what we got last year.  He did make throws our guys last year had no ability to make.   The decisions leading to the picks just can’t happen against better teams.   

Re: OL they had a strong game all across the board.  Just keep in mind SEA really looks like a bottom 5 team talent wise (Wilson will steal 3-4W on his own but without him that is a top 3-4 pick coming - only BUF & IND are clearly worse talent wise IMO although OAK and ARI are close).  That DL with no Richardson and no Bennett really is depleted (still can’t believe they spent a 1st on Penny instead of OG/DL as overall BPA there). But you can’t ding the OL for that, we just need to see it vs. better teams.  

I expect we will go 2-0.  OAK is just that bad.  Then @BAL / KC / @NYJ ideally we win 2 of 3.  4-1 could get us past .500.  Anything less and .500 or 7-9 seems a lock.   Because after that the schedule gets downright nasty. 

True...I am going to suggest though that Keenum had a bad game, which happens.  I don't think he has had a history of throwing picks.  In fact, I thought the reason that the Broncos brought him in is that he protected the ball.  I think as long as he does, and the offense continues to improve, then the defense does not have have to be a 2015 type of team to win...you know where the Broncos might get a few wins because the offense played well.  If they can create that balance, I would take a 9-7 record this year.  I still think we are a year, maybe two year away from contending again...and I am totally cool with that.  

6 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

True...I am going to suggest though that Keenum had a bad game, which happens.  I don't think he has had a history of throwing picks.  In fact, I thought the reason that the Broncos brought him in is that he protected the ball.  I think as long as he does, and the offense continues to improve, then the defense does not have have to be a 2015 type of team to win...you know where the Broncos might get a few wins because the offense played well.  If they can create that balance, I would take a 9-7 record this year.  I still think we are a year, maybe two year away from contending again...and I am totally cool with that.  

Keenum is on pace for 48 interceptions, but on the bright side Von is on pace for 48 sacks 

44 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

The adage that he’s not as bad as his worst game holds here.  Just like how he’s probably not as good as his 2017 season. In HOU/LA he was TO prone with bad decisions.  In MIN they had a lead so often with a great D, faced one of the Easter QB schedules vs opposing pass D’s, and only needed to score 17 PPG - it created the perfect storm of success. I think we saw the cracks vs. better teams in the playoffs (some awful decisions for INT vs. NO 2H and then PHI although they just got outclassed overall).  The truth almost certainly lies in between. 

34 minutes ago, germ-x said:

It tells you how bad Siemian and Lynch were when Keenum throws 3 INTs and it’s still obvious he’s a head and shoulders better than those 2. 

Well thats just it Keenum will throw it not have the deer in headlights look reading a d. And I think Keenums leesh is a lot shorter turning it over like that. 

I think if elway sees enough with Joseph to keep him or release him that they will make their minds up on the season and roll with Kelly if Keenum  throws it up there for the d to snag. 

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Well thats just it Keenum will throw it not have the deer in headlights look reading a d. And I think Keenums leesh is a lot shorter turning it over like that. 

I think if elway sees enough with Joseph to keep him or release him that they will make their minds up on the season and roll with Kelly if Keenum  throws it up there for the d to snag. 

It would take an injury for Keenum to lose his job or Denver completely imploding.  If Denver wants to compete Keenum is the QB.  Even with the 3 INTs, Kelly isn’t good enough YET to do the things Keenum did vs the Vikings.  Keenum honestly isn’t on any type of a leash.  He’s easily the best QB on this roster.  

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

It would take an injury for Keenum to lose his job or Denver completely imploding.  If Denver wants to compete Keenum is the QB.  Even with the 3 INTs, Kelly isn’t good enough YET to do the things Keenum did vs the Vikings.  Keenum honestly isn’t on any type of a leash.  He’s easily the best QB on this roster.  

The offense looked capable, a stark contrast to last year.  Just less 3 and outs is a huge improvement 

I have to remind myself that the offense looked unstoppable in the first two games of last year as well. This go-around feels a little more believable because of improved personnel. Lindsay and Sutton add an explosive complement to DT and Emmanuel that just wasn't there last year. You gotta give Mike McCoy credit for what he did in those two weeks, and a lot of flack for not adjusting when the offense stopped clicking. 

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I have to remind myself that the offense looked unstoppable in the first two games of last year as well. This go-around feels a little more believable because of improved personnel. Lindsay and Sutton add an explosive complement to DT and Emmanuel that just wasn't there last year. You gotta give Mike McCoy credit for what he did in those two weeks, and a lot of flack for not adjusting when the offense stopped clicking. 

To me it feels quite a bit different. Last year Siemian was getting killed every week, even in wins,  close to 30 hits in the first few weeks and it never got better. OL this year is vastly improved, we've upgraded virtually all offensive skill positions and actually have depth in those spots. We have more than two playmakers now.

So BB, I only got to see about 15-20 offensive plays. I was curious about Bolles progress and it wasn't like watching the same guy, 2017 version. No more ridiculous deep sets in pass pro, much better hand use and placement, and when he locked on it was game over. He actually should have drawn at least one penalty for unnecessary roughness, a guy he buried pulled him down with him by the facemask. Our OL coaches have done a fantastic job with Bolles and the rest of that unit. That by itself makes this offense a lot more believable.

Win or lose, I think they showed they've got a chance to meet your expectation, that being to be competitive through 4 quarters.

I'm not too concerned with the TO's. Looked to me like Musgrave wanted to stretch the field and Case went a bit too far. We got away with it though and it'll give DC's a lot more to worry about.

Looking forward to the season. If we continue to build on that performance we'll surprise some people. Game 3 in Baltimore should give us a better outlook. The Ravens have a long week of practice and should be very ready.

Finally got a chance to watch the game. Team looks improved in all phases, including coaching. Keenum’s first INT was a bad read. Maybe he misjudged Thomas? Thought he’d be rusty? I don’t know. You don’t make that seam throw against him.

2nd int looked like he and the receiver needed to get on the same page. It was a timing throw on what appeared to be a WR option route (obviously we don’t know for sure) where the read was McDougle. For the record if the read was mcdougle then I think the WR made the correct read as mcdougle was floating deep in his zone, but perhaps the read was Thomas and the correct play was to cut  away from Thomas in the deep third. Again hard to get in their heads. the last INT was a hell of a play by mcdougle. Simple as that.

definately things to work on but not bad considering this is their first game together (anyone remember Manning’s first game as a bronco? Chemistry takes time. And no I’m not saying Keenum will be like Manning)

28 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Finally got a chance to watch the game. Team looks improved in all phases, including coaching. Keenum’s first INT was a bad read. Maybe he misjudged Thomas? Thought he’d be rusty? I don’t know. You don’t make that seam throw against him.

2nd int looked like he and the receiver needed to get on the same page. It was a timing throw on what appeared to be a WR option route (obviously we don’t know for sure) where the read was McDougle. For the record if the read was mcdougle then I think the WR made the correct read as mcdougle was floating deep in his zone, but perhaps the read was Thomas and the correct play was to cut  away from Thomas in the deep third. Again hard to get in their heads. the last INT was a hell of a play by mcdougle. Simple as that.

definately things to work on but not bad considering this is their first game together (anyone remember Manning’s first game as a bronco? Chemistry takes time. And no I’m not saying Keenum will be like Manning)

The thing I remember from Manning's first game is I think a Tracy Porter pick 6? 

1Q notes from all 22

·         Royce Freeman missed a lovely hole upfront in a 2 TE, 1 RB, 1 FB, 1 WR alignment. Cut to the right from here resulting in no gain

iYBEED.jpg

·         Seahawks ran a max protect, 2 route combo on their 1st play. Wilson had Doug Baldwin widdddeeee open but Derek Wolfe had the key pressure to prevent the throw

1Si2wj.jpg

·         Will Parks in on 3rd down as the S/LB hybrid with Marshall staying in the game

·         Really, really poor read by Case on that 1st pick. As always, Seattle were in Cover 3 and we had DT running a really skinny post. However, there was no deep route on the other side of the field to move Earl Thomas, so he just broke straight on DT’s route. Poor concept, poor read, poor throw

3QIAOH.jpg

·         Chubb clearly got beat for the TD, but can’t help but think Darian Stewart had some form of zone responsibility on the back end. Bit big time on the play action, took himself out of the play

·         Our first 3 drives have featured pass attempts almost exclusively out of play action

·         Pass pro holding up excellently, sans Bolles getting beat quick by Clark on the DT drop on the 3rd drive. Couple of miscues when peeling off double teams for 2nd level blocks in the run game from Paradis and McGovern but still great through 3 drives

·         Through 3 drives, I’ve counted 4 targets in the vicinity of Shaquem Griffin. No room for sentiment in the NFL

·         Our DL is controlling the LOS. Seattle trying zone runs to get our bigger guys moving, but we’re as schooled as anyone on how to defend zone runs – go north, not east and west

·         He should’ve caught the eventual pass thrown, but Case pumped on Patrick running 1v1 with Bobby Wagner (a LB) with half the field to throw into. Got to show better anticipation there

·         Total breakdown on the right side of the line on 3rd down on our 4th drive. Veldheer slid inside to block the DT, letting Clark run free at Case. We’d blocked Clark with Heuerman in the run game the play before; 1 yard loss

·         Tim Patrick as a gunner on ST worries me. Struggles getting downfield, not sure he’s shifty enough

·         Less said about the tackling on the long TE play to end the Quarter, the better. It’s a good quick read by Wilson, to be fair

2 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

1Q notes from all 22

·         Royce Freeman missed a lovely hole upfront in a 2 TE, 1 RB, 1 FB, 1 WR alignment. Cut to the right from here resulting in no gain

iYBEED.jpg

·         Seahawks ran a max protect, 2 route combo on their 1st play. Wilson had Doug Baldwin widdddeeee open but Derek Wolfe had the key pressure to prevent the throw

1Si2wj.jpg

·         Will Parks in on 3rd down as the S/LB hybrid with Marshall staying in the game

·         Really, really poor read by Case on that 1st pick. As always, Seattle were in Cover 3 and we had DT running a really skinny post. However, there was no deep route on the other side of the field to move Earl Thomas, so he just broke straight on DT’s route. Poor concept, poor read, poor throw

3QIAOH.jpg

·         Chubb clearly got beat for the TD, but can’t help but think Darian Stewart had some form of zone responsibility on the back end. Bit big time on the play action, took himself out of the play

·         Our first 3 drives have featured pass attempts almost exclusively out of play action

·         Pass pro holding up excellently, sans Bolles getting beat quick by Clark on the DT drop on the 3rd drive. Couple of miscues when peeling off double teams for 2nd level blocks in the run game from Paradis and McGovern but still great through 3 drives

·         Through 3 drives, I’ve counted 4 targets in the vicinity of Shaquem Griffin. No room for sentiment in the NFL

·         Our DL is controlling the LOS. Seattle trying zone runs to get our bigger guys moving, but we’re as schooled as anyone on how to defend zone runs – go north, not east and west

·         He should’ve caught the eventual pass thrown, but Case pumped on Patrick running 1v1 with Bobby Wagner (a LB) with half the field to throw into. Got to show better anticipation there

·         Total breakdown on the right side of the line on 3rd down on our 4th drive. Veldheer slid inside to block the DT, letting Clark run free at Case. We’d blocked Clark with Heuerman in the run game the play before; 1 yard loss

·         Tim Patrick as a gunner on ST worries me. Struggles getting downfield, not sure he’s shifty enough

·         Less said about the tackling on the long TE play to end the Quarter, the better. It’s a good quick read by Wilson, to be fair

Really nice writeup - in Canada, we don't get All-22 or Red Zone for our Sunday ticket package (but we spent a year with online provider DAZN which nearly broke my soul trying to watch lol, so this is still way better to have Sunday Ticket with no Red Zone or All-22), which is probably a blessing, I'd probably spend more hours on re-watching than I already do lol.    Much respect.

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Really nice writeup - in Canada, we don't get All-22 or Red Zone for our Sunday ticket package (but we spent a year with online provider DAZN which nearly broke my soul trying to watch lol, so this is still way better to have Sunday Ticket with no Red Zone or All-22), which is probably a blessing, I'd probably spend more hours on re-watching than I already do lol.    Much respect.

Thanks! I will have the 2nd quarter up today, and then the 2nd half by Friday. I love all 22 but it's time consuming. Fascinating, yes, but time consuming. I have to do it at work on my lunch break seeing as I already ignore my fiance for 6 hours on a Sunday night (if there is good 'soccer' on, this could actually be 12 hours .......)

Do you guys not have the option to get NFL gamepass? Up until 2 years ago it was absolutely flawless. Perfect streaming, they had the condensed replay (every play in 40 mins) up with 3 hours of the game finishing and the all-22 up by Tuesday. However, they've started using a different stream service now and it's so hit and miss. Search twitter for @nflgamepassEU and you will soon get a feel for the quality of product (and customer service).

Still - it's the only option I have because the illegal streams (which I would never use ...) are rubbish and you can't watch replays which is obviously an issue for me with the time zone.

Archived