Dak - Grown Man

textaz03

20 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

@plan9misfit curious to hear your thoughts on who you would want to play QB next year?

Would you let Dak go and go after someone like Flacco or Winston and draft someone to groom or let Dak ride out another year?

I wouldn’t go after Winston. He’s a numbskull and a turnover machine. Flacco is mediocre, but could drive the bus well enough for us to succeed. Honestly, I’d keep my eye on Derek Carr. Oakland doesn’t want him, so I think he could be traded or released in the offseason. Otherwise, I’d keep my eye on the draft.

Regarding the comment on Carr.

Here is what I would do next year at the QB position.

1. Keep Dak. The kid is everything you say, but he DID win 2 division titles in 3 years and damn near made the playoffs last year. He stays.

2. FA pick up Carr, at worst he is a better option than Cooper.

3. Draft- Dallas is a big fan of Boise St. Players and so am I.

Rypien would be a nice pick up and groom him.

All viable and not a bad plan.

6 hours ago, 5x10 said:

I just want them to bring in competition 

Doesn’t seem like they see it that way

I don’t think Jerry can bring himself to bring in competition for Dak... doing so would be an admission that he gave up on Romo too soon.

that being said, I would love to bring in Flacco or Foles next year.  I’m okay with having a bus driver at QB.  It would be nice to have a bus driver who can hit wide open receivers.

8 hours ago, 5x10 said:

I just want them to bring in competition 

Doesn’t seem like they see it that way

Yeah no chance. They are so committed to keeping Dak comfortable in his position that they won't even sign a backup that has started a game in the league

Here's my two cents or more on Dak.  I'll apologize if I am all over the place, but I have a ton of things to get done with today being Christmas eve.

Concerns:

1.  Pocket presence.  He doesn't seem to have the ability to sense the rush.  Holds on to the ball too long resulting in sacks.

2.  Accuracy.  A number of his passes seem to be late or behind his wr's.  He has missed a number of deep wr's who have been wide open.  This is a head scratcher.

Can these be improved on?  I think so.  Improved footwork can help with accuracy.  That's where coaching comes in. Let's ask ourselves what quality coaching has Dak had?  I think we would all agree that coming out of college Dak was a prospect who needed grooming.  Instead he was thrown into the fire and we all held our collective breath.  What happened?  Dak and the team over achieved and the bar for Dak was set very high, perhaps unnecessarily so.

We all complain about our OC and QB coach.  What organization would take a QB who needs a strong support system and provide him with a QB coach who has no experience?  Doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.  Dak needs a QB whisperer (if such a coach exists).  He also needs a veteran backup who can help him on the sidelines.  All of these things are missing.  I firmly place the blame on the organization for this.   Won't get into a prolonged discussion of SL.  That's a whole other subject.

Wasn't there a stat from last year that said that Dallas wr's had one of if not the worst separation rates in the NFL?  So your wideouts aren't getting open yet we expect monster numbers from the QB?  

Look at the start of this year.  Dez is gone and Witten retires.  We do nothing of substance to replace their production and still expect Dak to play lights out.  Again Dak needs a strong supporting cast.  Allen Hurns ain't it.

The OL has struggled and with it so has Dak.  I think the Atlanta game from last year really hit Dak hard and has resulted in happy feet.  He has to overcome that.  But our once all world LT has regressed.  Our All Pro Center has been gone for the year.  The rookie who was going to play between those two was overmatched by power.  Instability on the OL does not help the qb. 

Dak is not Rodgers, Brady, or Brees.  Dak won't take an Allen Hurns and make him a Pro Bowler. He needs a solid supporting cast.  Enter Cooper.  Dak's play has improved with the arrival of Cooper.  Moving forward with Cooper and an emerging Gallup and I can see things getting better.  Find Dak a productive TE and we might be in business.

Where are the designed roll outs to take advantage of Dak's abilities?  Almost non existent.  Place blame on the OC and HC for this one.

QB's touch the ball more than anyone.  I think they get more than their fair share for the success and failure of the team.  I just heard a stat that said Dak has 30 wins since 2016 which is 2nd best in the NFL.  Not too bad for a QB with issues.

Dak is not going anywhere.  He will be extended.  It is imperative that the organization surround him with quality players and coaching schemes to ensure his success.  How often do you find a generational QB?  Not often.  You keep looking.  By all means draft a QB and sign a veteran.  Nothing wrong with quality depth.  If Dak regresses or gets hurt at least you have a plan.  What are our chances with Cooper Rush starting?

At the end of the day Dak is going to be our QB.  Despite my concerns I"m a Dak backer.  He's a leader.  He's got moxy.  He needs work on footwork, timing, and accuracy.  He won't learn these things on his own.  If and when we extend him, the organization needs to make sure the supporting cast of players and coaches are in place to help Dak and the team succeed.

2 hours ago, Northland said:

Here's my two cents or more on Dak.  I'll apologize if I am all over the place, but I have a ton of things to get done with today being Christmas eve.

Concerns:

1.  Pocket presence.  He doesn't seem to have the ability to sense the rush.  Holds on to the ball too long resulting in sacks.

2.  Accuracy.  A number of his passes seem to be late or behind his wr's.  He has missed a number of deep wr's who have been wide open.  This is a head scratcher.

Can these be improved on?  I think so.  Improved footwork can help with accuracy.  That's where coaching comes in. Let's ask ourselves what quality coaching has Dak had?  I think we would all agree that coming out of college Dak was a prospect who needed grooming.  Instead he was thrown into the fire and we all held our collective breath.  What happened?  Dak and the team over achieved and the bar for Dak was set very high, perhaps unnecessarily so.

We all complain about our OC and QB coach.  What organization would take a QB who needs a strong support system and provide him with a QB coach who has no experience?  Doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.  Dak needs a QB whisperer (if such a coach exists).  He also needs a veteran backup who can help him on the sidelines.  All of these things are missing.  I firmly place the blame on the organization for this.   Won't get into a prolonged discussion of SL.  That's a whole other subject.

Wasn't there a stat from last year that said that Dallas wr's had one of if not the worst separation rates in the NFL?  So your wideouts aren't getting open yet we expect monster numbers from the QB?  

Look at the start of this year.  Dez is gone and Witten retires.  We do nothing of substance to replace their production and still expect Dak to play lights out.  Again Dak needs a strong supporting cast.  Allen Hurns ain't it.

The OL has struggled and with it so has Dak.  I think the Atlanta game from last year really hit Dak hard and has resulted in happy feet.  He has to overcome that.  But our once all world LT has regressed.  Our All Pro Center has been gone for the year.  The rookie who was going to play between those two was overmatched by power.  Instability on the OL does not help the qb. 

Dak is not Rodgers, Brady, or Brees.  Dak won't take an Allen Hurns and make him a Pro Bowler. He needs a solid supporting cast.  Enter Cooper.  Dak's play has improved with the arrival of Cooper.  Moving forward with Cooper and an emerging Gallup and I can see things getting better.  Find Dak a productive TE and we might be in business.

Where are the designed roll outs to take advantage of Dak's abilities?  Almost non existent.  Place blame on the OC and HC for this one.

QB's touch the ball more than anyone.  I think they get more than their fair share for the success and failure of the team.  I just heard a stat that said Dak has 30 wins since 2016 which is 2nd best in the NFL.  Not too bad for a QB with issues.

Dak is not going anywhere.  He will be extended.  It is imperative that the organization surround him with quality players and coaching schemes to ensure his success.  How often do you find a generational QB?  Not often.  You keep looking.  By all means draft a QB and sign a veteran.  Nothing wrong with quality depth.  If Dak regresses or gets hurt at least you have a plan.  What are our chances with Cooper Rush starting?

At the end of the day Dak is going to be our QB.  Despite my concerns I"m a Dak backer.  He's a leader.  He's got moxy.  He needs work on footwork, timing, and accuracy.  He won't learn these things on his own.  If and when we extend him, the organization needs to make sure the supporting cast of players and coaches are in place to help Dak and the team succeed.

THIS is exactly my thoughts. Welcome to the club... 

I agree with all but Bolded the most important IMO.

Nominate this for POTY 

You guys do realize that "WR separation numbers" are for the TARGETED WR, right?

So if it's 3rd and 14, and Gallup is open by 5 steps 20 yards downfield but Dak checks it to Zeke(his real #1 WR) who barely has a step on the LB, or Jarwin who is bracketed, the "separation numbers" look pretty bad.

It's pretty damn lazy to look at a stat like that and assume our WRs are bad at running routes.

Separation stats don't tell you if there was a WR open on the play, it just tells you if the guy your QB chose to target was open.

Well... that's at least half on Dak. 10 different QBs will give you 10 different separation stats with the same WRs, because of where they choose to throw.

Cole Beasely has NEVER been questioned as a route runner, or his ability to separate. He is usually getting all kinds of off season love for it.

Until Dak.

Gallup was a PFF darling for his route combos in College but he has Dak now.

Allen Hurns is known as a route running WR.

Amari Cooper may be the best route runner I've ever seen. But how much did he increase our separation stats? He only helps when he is being targeted. 

5 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

I don’t think Jerry can bring himself to bring in competition for Dak... doing so would be an admission that he gave up on Romo too soon.

that being said, I would love to bring in Flacco or Foles next year.  I’m okay with having a bus driver at QB.  It would be nice to have a bus driver who can hit wide open receivers.

And one who is willing to throw his receiver open, and attempt more than 2 passes per game which go further than 10 yards.

Archived