Week 2 GDT: Detroit Lions At San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think so. It needs an elite outside pass rusher. Once you have that, along with Buck, and a solid run defense, your secondary is going to look so much better. But we don't have anybody who creates pressure outside of Buckner. Major problem there. 

The problem is, an elite pass rusher from the outside is impossible to find. 

No outside rusher is going to win his matchup against officiating unless he gets a free rush. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

absolutely. This draft is stacked from an edge rusher standpoint, so that's going to be something I have to believe we are going to target in the first round. But we need explosive guys, not guys who are midway between 3 techs and 5 techs like Thomas. 

Where do you project us to be picking at? 

Foster will make a big ddifference, and I still think Smith can help. Any thoughts on whether Warner can be an occasional edge rusher. I mean he couldn't do too much worse than what we've got. The secondary won't get any better but wouldn't seem like such a liability if only we could generate a pass rush.

Somebody earlier used the word "vanilla". That's it. Four pass rushers all taking traditional routes to the passer That's simply is not going to get the job done. Bitlz, loop, delayed rush,, rush an extra LB and drop a d-line guy into a short zone coverage, ... Without an  edge rusher we neeed something more creative and more varied than 4 men talking plain vanilla routes to the QB (or to be stalled out along the way).

Archived