Week 3 GDT - Green Bay (1-0-1) @ Washington (1-1)

Leader

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Anybody feel like we're a Super Bowl team?  I've just got this feeling we aren't.  Way too early, but I feel our defense doesn't have what it will take and that our offense isn't good enough to overcome it.  Somebody convince me I'm wrong.

Gotta make the playoffs first. I think our defense is trying to find it's identity still, it's a brand new scheme 2 weeks in, have to let this thing play out a little more. I also think our offense is fine, we have put up good numbers against great defenses these last 2 games. Graham came alive last game and showed what he can do already. Aaron Jones coming back will help boost it too.

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Anybody feel like we're a Super Bowl team?  I've just got this feeling we aren't.  Way too early, but I feel our defense doesn't have what it will take and that our offense isn't good enough to overcome it.  Somebody convince me I'm wrong.

Given how important injuries and momentum are in the NFL, it IS way too early.

The Packers team features several guys counted on to play a lot of snaps who are rooks, like Burks, Alexander, Jackson, or second year guys like J.Williams, A.Jones, J.Jones, M.Adams, J.McCray, who are all capable of getting better steadily, over the season. As a counterpoint, look at The older guys (like T.Williams, M.Lewis, L.Kendricks, J.Graham, A.Rodgers, M.Crosby, C.Matthews). Most either play a position you can excel at when getting up in years (in NFL terms), like Rodgers and Crosby, or are playing just fine at this point in time. Williams and Lewis might dip as this season progresses. Matthews already has regressed over the last few seasons, but we knew that coming into the season. Overall the likely decline  of older players doesn't come close to outweighing the improvement of the younger guys. 

You could say youth outweighs aging every year, but it wouldn't always be true. You can already see the potential of Burks, Alexander, Jackson, J.Williams, A.Jones, they have all shown signs of what they can be. The jury is out on some others like M.Adams, J.Jones, J.McCray, but none look unredeemable at this point. Even third year guys like Martinez, Spriggs, Brice, still have upside possibilities.

I think the Packers hit a road block in the last few years and went downhill, but all the additions made both to the team and to the coaching staff this year, have given the Packers a big kickstart again. The window for a SB isn't large, maybe four or five more years before we need the big change, the QB. That will have a huge impact. Chances are we have another HC as well by then, so the future that far ahead is too different to predict with any confidence. If next years draft is as good as this years already appears to be (in the top three rounds), the Packers arrow could continue to point upwards. There is the extra first round pick next year as well, that is huge when you always want more starter-level players than you have high picks.

My overall feeling about the team, is that the Packers get better through this year, are better still next year and for a couple of years thereafter, then they slide downwards............and that might be a steep slide to where they lose more games than they win.

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I think our Defense deserved better on Sunday. Just a few mistakes to clean up and we'd be 2-0 after beating a top tier team in the NFC.
But 1-0-1 isn't bad. It kind of looks like a l-o-l. or a TIE fighter.

I actually feel real good about our chances. I said in the off season that Kevin King was our second most important player on defense and it’s showing. The guy can play, and he’s only going to get better. If he can stay on the field, the defense is absolutely dangerous. Like, legit . And obviously I’m not worried about the offense , sans Aaron’s health.

23 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I think our Defense deserved better on Sunday. Just a few mistakes to clean up and we'd be 2-0 after beating a top tier team in the NFC.
But 1-0-1 isn't bad. It kind of looks like a l-o-l. or a TIE fighter.

We were "this close" to 2+0 multiple times.
Didnt close the deal on the field. Dropped or fumbled the ball when it counted.

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

As of week 2, I'd say no, but we could be a different team in 10 weeks. That being said, you can't blow games against teams like Minnesota like we just did. Rodgers would be the first to say, "those are the wins you look back at and are happy about come December." At the end of the day, a "Super Bowl team" is more about positioning. If we win the division and get a bye, we stand a pretty darn good chance of making it to the NFCCG and then it only takes one good day. The NFC is way too tough this year to go 2010 and run the table as a 6 seed. Not going to happen. Getting to the SB requires a North division championship IMO. We just blew our first chance to gain an edge. 

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Ask this after weeks 8-12...  that’s the real meat of the packers’ schedule and will really tell us what this team is and is not.

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If GB currently is a benchmark for not being a SB team then the only NFC teams who really look better so far are the Rams who haven't played anyone and the Bucs.   So if GB is not currently a SB contender then neither is pretty much every other team in the conference.

45 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That being said, you can't blow games against teams like Minnesota like we just did.

That's why I'm feeling depressed.  New defensive coordinator and we still can't close out games.  We've got to be one of the worst teams in the league over the past ten years at protecting double digit leads in the fourth quarter. 

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That's why I'm feeling depressed.  New defensive coordinator and we still can't close out games.  We've got to be one of the worst teams in the league over the past ten years at protecting double digit leads in the fourth quarter. 

Same can be said for min. Amazing defense and in 28 second Rodgers goes 40 yards. Crosby normally hits 52.

Cousins throws 2 picks in the 4th quarter. It’s week 2.... everyone has issues, outside of the chiefs... they are just amazing (but they normally are early).

Guys, I have to do this.  You should know this by now, and I hope me telling you this doesn't jeopardize things, but I can't be positive if we want to win the Super Bowl.  I was positive every single year except for 2010.  Obnoxiously positive.  I almost got a few people here banned for my positivity in 2015 and 2013.  I have to do this.  I don't want to be that person, I have to be that person.  I am sacrificing everything for the greater good. 

17 hours ago, Golfman said:

At this point just make it two hand touch until they become a runner. It would be far easier for the fans to understand and far less frustrating for defenders who are helpless and damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I know you're being facetious, but that would only cause more replay time......Boycotting the product is the only viable solution....

32 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I hear ya. Frustrating to give up 22 4th quarter points, even with the help the refs gave Minn on the last drive. We still gave up a 60 yard TD drive after the penalty. Offense didnt help by settling for FGs the entire 2nd half. Seemed like a movie I've seen several times before....

35 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

They closed out great in week 1.  Clay even threw in a penalty just so they can close out twice in one game.  I get that it's Chicago but Minnesota was a deep playoff team last year and we tied them after playing pretty poorly.  They also upgraded at QB, added Richardson, and have two quality running backs.  The vikings and Rams are obviously two teams in complete 'win now' mode and will be tough outs.  Chicago is also looking to be a dominant defense this year that could easily win 9-10 games.  I think we are fine so far this year. 

If we can be competitive on the road against the Rams/Patriots/Vikings and pull out 1 or 2 of those then you have to like our chances against anyone.    

Archived