Week 3 GDT - Green Bay (1-0-1) @ Washington (1-1)

Leader

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Ask this after weeks 8-12...  that’s the real meat of the packers’ schedule and will really tell us what this team is and is not.

That's a brutal patch. Hate to say we need to be perfect, but we really need to be 5-0-1 at the bye before that stretch. No reason we can't do it give our next 4 opponents.

3 hours ago, KFP7 said:

They closed out great in week 1.  Clay even threw in a penalty just so they can close out twice in one game.  I get that it's Chicago but Minnesota was a deep playoff team last year and we tied them after playing pretty poorly.  They also upgraded at QB, added Richardson, and have two quality running backs.  The vikings and Rams are obviously two teams in complete 'win now' mode and will be tough outs.  Chicago is also looking to be a dominant defense this year that could easily win 9-10 games.  I think we are fine so far this year. 

If we can be competitive on the road against the Rams/Patriots/Vikings and pull out 1 or 2 of those then you have to like our chances against anyone.    

Yeah the defense has actually closed out the game 3 out of 4 times in 2 weeks.

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

That's a brutal patch. Hate to say we need to be perfect, but we really need to be 5-0-1 at the bye before that stretch. No reason we can't do it give our next 4 opponents.

Do I see hope in this Packers tream yes. Do I see the same defensive problems this year as last year yes. Lining up Devon House outside instead of Josh Jackson or Jaire Alexander was one of the causes for the outcome. Not rotating Reggie Gilbert into the mix enough has been another massive mistake considering Clay Mathews, so far, is in a word = terrible. Coaching so far gets a C at best. 

18 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Everybody wants instant change upon the arrival of a new coach....One example being Detroit, where it sounds like some of the players don't like Matt Patricia.....Is it possible the defense just hasn't bought into Mike Pettine's system yet?.....

I mean they played three quarters against Minny of basically lights out defense. Gave up 7 points. I think they've bought in. They just **** the bed in the 4th with 22 points, which was helped by the refs no doubt. The play that hurt the most was obviously the 75-yarder to Diggs. In that situation, up 2 scores, about 7 minutes left, it is unforgivable to give up that play. You have to at least make them go 10 plays and use up some time if you're giving up the TD there. A 75-yard, 17 second drive for a TD turned the entire tide of the game and that simply can't happen. 

I hope we just don't look past the Skins and take this game as granted. According to the stats they are playing good D, albeit it is only two weeks in. They are ranked number 1 for total defence (yards per game) with the number 1 pass defence. 

For me this team, while we have Rodgers we will always be dependant on how good our offence is. How in sync Rodgers is always the key thing I look for in a game. Does he start hot or not?  The defence will give us opportunities to win as they did against the Vikings but unless we are humming on offence and scoring TDs we won't win. Our defence could be, if it all comes together be 'good' but it is not set up to win games. It is set up to keep us in games. It is just not dominating enough, with some good players but no game changers. Which I understand as we are restricted by the salary cap and the way we are currently invested on offence I don't see that changing. 

We need Rodgers on point and we need 30 points a game.

1 minute ago, Brit Pack said:

I hope we just don't look past the Skins and take this game as granted. According to the stats they are playing good D, albeit it is only two weeks in. They are ranked number 1 for total defence (yards per game) with the number 1 pass defence. 

They have played Arizona, who is possibly the worst offense in the league and Indy, who, while they looked improved, still aren't a good offense. 

Those stats are inflated by playing those offenses. I don't think they are great defense by any stretch. 

fait accompli

8 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

They have played Arizona, who is possibly the worst offense in the league and Indy, who, while they looked improved, still aren't a good offense. 

Those stats are inflated by playing those offenses. I don't think they are great defense by any stretch. 

I agree with that it is too early to read into team stats. Having said that is Arizona really the worst offence or have they just played the best defences in the league? They played the Rams who are ranked third in yards per game, and are ranked first in the least points allowed, Redskins are just behind them in that category. Or as you say are both the Rams and Redskins ranked as such cos Arizona stinks? We just don't know but I wouldn't treat this game as a fait accompli as some have expressed.

5 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

fait accompli

I agree with that it is too early to read into team stats. Having said that is Arizona really the worst offence or have they just played the best defences in the league? They played the Rams who are ranked third in yards per game, and are ranked first in the least points allowed, Redskins are just behind them in that category. Or as you say are both the Rams and Redskins ranked as such cos Arizona stinks? We just don't know but I wouldn't treat this game as a fait accompli as some have expressed.

They are really, really bad. I don't care how good the defense your facing is, you don't only manage 5 first downs being an even average offense. 

33 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

For me this team, while we have Rodgers we will always be dependant on how good our offence is. How in sync Rodgers is always the key thing I look for in a game. Does he start hot or not?  The defence will give us opportunities to win as they did against the Vikings but unless we are humming on offence and scoring TDs we won't win. Our defence could be, if it all comes together be 'good' but it is not set up to win games. It is set up to keep us in games. It is just not dominating enough, with some good players but no game changers. Which I understand as we are restricted by the salary cap and the way we are currently invested on offence I don't see that changing. 

We need Rodgers on point and we need 30 points a game.

While the skins are at home and they aren't terrible, I'm not really worried. Their offense is probably on par with CHI, maybe slightly better with Smith vs. Trubisky. we essentially held CHI to 16 points. Hopefully King can go, but I'm not really worried about Richardson/Crowder/Doctson going off like Diggs or Thielen could. 

Their defense has some decent players, but they're not in the same league as MIN or CHI. I'm not so certain they've fixed the problems they've had w/ run D, so GB RB's might finally have some breathing room. GB offense should get 28 at least. 

Interesting note: WAS RB's have 255 yd receiving so far, going 24 catches on 27 targets. 

7 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

No, they aren't. Their defense has been good since the beginning of last year, especially their secondary play. 

Archived