1. 1. How much will the Vikings win by?

• 17 or more points
    • 10-16 pts
    • 4-9 pts
    • 1-3 pts
    • Another tie!
    • The Bills somehow put it back together and pull off the major upset

34 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Really? Huh... I thought that disturbing off the field situations to star players seemed kinda similar.

It could also be something that galvanizes the team.  While players seemed to like AP in the locker-room, he often was off elsewhere working out on his own, doing his own thing and often was separate from the team.  Everson is a primary vocal leader in the locker-room and is one of the most well-liked too.  It's not the same.  

Just now, JDBrocks said:

Wow, tough crowd. Note to self - do not draw comparisons unless situations are identical.

I can see the argument that it's similar and can agree partially, but it's clearly not nearly the same context, so to make the inference that it's going to hang over the team all year long isn't somewhere I'd personally go at this point.  

I’d argue that this could be worse. A beloved team leader dealing with mental illness can be more distracting to teammates because they care and are worried about him. Peterson’s situation was more detrimental to the business/coaching staff part of the team than the players I think.

This is where Zimmer will need to live up to the perception that his players will run through walls for him. It’s on the head coach to re-engage his team and get them ready to play.

22 hours ago, joru1000 said:

This team has a serious problem with taking things seriously and it falls on coaching, not just personnel. I'm also tired of pretending like Zimmer is some great coach. 

Getting blown out by the Bills at home with no major injuries sans Griffen is inexcusable. There's only 16 games in a season and you have a full week to prepare. No team should come out like that. Teams in the MLB, NHL, and NBA who have 3 games in 4-5 days don't play as pathetic and uninspired as that. 

Really lost faith in this team after that loss. If we can lose to the Bills at home in such poor fashion, than why should I really believe in this team in a playoff game? There's just too much volatility with this team and it's been getting worse since late last season. 

I think he is a great coach, but agree that he needs to be held to task for not having the team ready at home against an opponent over which we were 16.5 point favorites.   He is an excellent coach, but none of them, not even Belichick, should be above scrutiny.

While Everson Griffen is a very valuable piece to the defense, the defense is not centered around him, nor is the defense’s success solely based on the success of him. The same could not be said of Peterson and the Vikings’ offense. Norv Turner centered his offense around Peterson, everything, offensively, revolves around him. The offense was left scrambling when Peterson was arrested/suspended. 

But, and probably more importantly, the Peterson situation divided the locker room. He was arrested for beating his kid. There were players who supported him, but there were also players that didn’t want him back. There were front office personnel who didn’t want him back. And there was a large contingent of fans who didn’t want him back. When the topic of Peterson’s case was brought up, it was met with uneasiness. 

With Griffen, he’s sick. This really isn’t any different than had he gotten hurt on the field or contracted a physical illness. When Everson’s situation is brought up, it’s going to be met with universal love and support. From teammates, front office personnel, and fans alike. 

So, no, Griffen’s situation doesn’t come close to resembling the Peterson situation. 

On 9/24/2018 at 10:58 AM, since72 said:

This is 2010 all over again.

Horrible heartbreaking loss in the NFC Championship game the previous year.  Big expectations this year.

It started with Sparano's death.  Treadwell / Carlson debacle in Lambeau.  Historic upset by the Bills.  Thursday night the Vikings will be leading most of the game when Cousins will go down with a season ending injury (it will be two more years before he becomes effective again) and the Rams win as time runs out.

Eventually, the Vikings will have to win out on the last 7 games of the season to make the playoffs as a wild card.  They win 6.  Then lose the final game to the NFC North 2018 division champions, the Chicago Bears (who get blown out in the wild card game the following week).

As GM of the Vikings, you could field 22 HOF'ers in their prime against the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers and still lose.  There is no overcoming the curse of the whiskey bottle.

So far - Pats, Jets, and Bills have the same record.  Vikes, Pack, and Browns have the same record.  The Lions are one game out of first place.  Sure it's only three games. Isn't that what we said when they started 1-2 in 2010?

2010 all over again.

Jim Souhan (Star Tribune) is channeling me again...

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-season-already-tinged-with-tragedy-troubles/494458331/

"There are already ominous signs that this season could be more like 2010, when the Vikings got their coach fired, than 2009, when they came within an eyelash from playing in a Super Bowl."

Difference being that Zimmer wouldn't get fired over a bad season this year.  The 2009 success masked some terrible underlying problems within the Childress regime that reared their ugly heads when that success went away.

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Difference being that Zimmer wouldn't get fired over a bad season this year.  The 2009 success masked some terrible underlying problems within the Childress regime that reared their ugly heads when that success went away.

Basically Favre saved Childress for a year, the Vikings success was mostly dependent upon Favre playing so well. The current team is built around many great defensive players and fringe top 10 QB. Zimmer isn't going anywhere.

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Basically Favre saved Childress for a year, the Vikings success was mostly dependent upon Favre playing so well.

I would disagreee with this. I would argue that Favre undermined Childress when he got here, and created the locker room chaos that ultimately got Childress fired.

Archived