Seahawks @ Bears, 9/17/18, 7:15 CT, GAME THREAD

beardown3231

4 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

At the same time, you don't see many throws from Rodgers, Brady, or other great QB's being batted at the line of scrimmage like that.  He didn't have good awareness of where the lineman were in relation to the path of his throw, which certainly is at least partially on him.

I would agree with this to an extent. Yes, a QB needs to learn velocity and when or when not to put too much into a throw. But only when that happens too often and I don't feel like Tru does that alot. 

12 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

At the same time, you don't see many throws from Rodgers, Brady, or other great QB's being batted at the line of scrimmage like that.  He didn't have good awareness of where the lineman were in relation to the path of his throw, which certainly is at least partially on him.

Actually it wasnt a lack of awareness at all it wasnt a dl jumping up and swatting it was actually a full horizontal extension and just barely got the fingertips on it and he was targeting Arob wide open on the post. The first one was all Tru, however I'm wondering if it was an over correction from week one when he overthrew him on the corner.  They have to work out the timing and placement on that connection.  But they'll get it.  That dime to Cohen was one of the most impressive off platform throws I've seen.  At the end of the day he completed over 70% of his passes even with the 2 ints.  There was growth both by the offense and by the qb this week.  This is going to be a process guys.  Ik we want 30+ every game but this is the 1st year in a new offense with an entirely new receiving corps.

10 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I disagree with this. the first one was one him but not the second. The 2nd INT was a heads up a play by the front 7 who jumped up and  tipped the ball and then the DB made a great play to secure it before it hit the ground. 

Disclaimer: My opinion is based on live TV and I have not watch the play in all-22 yet. 

You might be right. I'm just going off what I saw on the live game too.

What I remember was him faking a handoff then turning and throwing to Robinson, and looked like it was completely predetermined to me. With how many times he threw to Robinson LBs are going to cheat over to his side, and 2 LBs (or a LB and S, IDK) were right in the ball path prior to the throw.

If it wasn't a predetermined read and I missed something then I would be more than willing to retract my statement about the 2nd INT.

8 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Actually it wasnt a lack of awareness at all it wasnt a dl jumping up and swatting it was actually a full horizontal extension and just barely got the fingertips on it and he was targeting Arob wide open on the post. The first one was all Tru, however I'm wondering if it was an over correction from week one when he overthrew him on the corner.  They have to work out the timing and placement on that connection.  But they'll get it.  That dime to Cohen was one of the most impressive off platform throws I've seen.  At the end of the day he completed over 70% of his passes even with the 2 ints.  There was growth both by the offense and by the qb this week.  This is going to be a process guys.  Ik we want 30+ every game but this is the 1st year in a new offense with an entirely new receiving corps.

I disagree. Just found this. Forward to 2:21. It was the LBs coming up and two of them are there before he even turns to throw to Robinson. It looked like he didn't see them at all, or just thought he could get it over them before they could get to it.

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Guys we almost have more replies in this thread than ATL has in their entire subforum. Crikey.

Just an FYI. Unless you are Steve irwin, you should never use that word Sugar. I don't care if you're Australian or not. That word belongs to one man and one man only. B|

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Just an FYI. Unless you are Steve irwin, you should never use that word Sugar. I don't care if you're Australian or not. That word belongs to one man and one man only. B|

True. I apologize. Too tired to realize what I was saying.

Going to go to bed, wife went to sleep over an hour ago.

tenor.gif

Offense

-I thought that we finally saw Nagy get into a play calling groove in the 4th quarter TD drive. He had a QB that was struggling, he had a running game that was going nowhere and he schemed a ton of yards rushing to Gabriel and some easy completions for Mitch as they headed down the field for a TD. That felt like the first time outside of the scripted 15 plays that he and Mitch had a groove going.

-There were some play calling positives from Nagy that I saw, did not get screen happy, kept running the ball even when Howard was getting stopped, calmed Mitch down at halftime and gave him some easier read stuff in the 2nd half.

-The offensive operation was better. The play clock was not as much of an issue, the time outs weren’t getting burnt, the lining up issues were decreased. That is a positive development. It is difficult to clean up bigger issues when you are still making simple mistakes.

-I felt Mitch was really up and down again. There were some incredible moments and some great throws and there were times when he was flat out bad. I felt like it was a better performance than against the Packers he seemed more in command and was making checks and audibles that seemed to work. 

The bad

-The pick to Robinson was just a bad underthrow
-The miss to Gabriel in the middle of the field was one you need to make
-The 2nd pick doesn’t bother me
-The throw to the endzone that was almost picked was a huge issue

The good

-The throw to Cohen will scrambling was incredible
-The TD throw to Miller was a really nice roll and throw
-The shovel pass to Burton was well read and timed
-I thought he and Robinson had a nice repour in the middle of the field
-His ability to run continues to be a useful weapon

-Mitch is not where I wanted him to be at this point. I probably should have listened to the bear guys who were telling us about his inconsistent camp, but I didn’t and this surprised me a little.

-Jordan Howard has been targeted 8 times with catchable passes and has caught all of them so that is a positive.

-The Seahawks were selling out to stop the run and the OL did not play well yesterday and the run game looked bad. The Bears feel like they are to horizantel in their run game and they need to go forward and bully some people more often.

-Allen Robinson is good. He is better in the middle of the field than I was expecting and he converted some big 3rd downs. I would like to see more from him on the first pick, the ball was underthrown, but come on back big guy and get involved. I have been impressed for a guy who is not a burner that he is able to get behind CBs as often as he does. If he and Mitch ever get on the same page on those throws it could be big for the offense.

-Another positive is that the ball was spread around. Trey Burton with 4 catches was nice to see and I would like to see Mitch get back on the same page with Burton. Hoge and Jahns were talking about how on the long Howard completion that Burton again was wide open. Those 2 need to get the chemistry going.

-Using Taylor Gabriel in the run game was a nice change of pace. With the Seahawks selling out downhill to stop the run the misdirection seemed to really throw them on the TD drive.

-I wish that the 15 yard completion in the 3rd quarter to Miller had stood. Instead, it was a formation penalty that made it 3rd and long and a punt. That pass was a great slide out of the pocket and dart from Trubisky that would have put them in field goal range and made the offensive narrative a little different.

-Dion Sims is still garbage, but at least they didn’t throw him the ball.

-I think this was bad Bobbie Massie game, which we knew were coming. The Frank Clark offside sack is a brutal non-call, but the rest of the game he did not seem as effective in the run game and he was getting pressed into the pocket in the pass game. He is the biggest liability on the line right now.

-The OL was not very good against a depleted front 7. They did not generate a ton of room in the run game and at one point you could over hear Kyle Long yelling “do it like we do in practice”, which tells me that there are still some scheme and adjustment issues happening.

Defense

-The defense was dominant. I do not care that the Seahawks scored late to make it look closer than it was. The way they scored does not concern me,

1. 56 yard field goal
2. Dime pass that Fuller should have played better
3. Fangio trading a TD for 5 minutes of game time

-Khalil Mack is sensational. The amount of attention teams devote to him is incredible and literally makes everyone else better. We saw sacks from Goldman, Jackson and Trevathan get sacks that were direct results to Mack destroying the pocket and protection. Thank you Jon Gruden.

-It was nice to see some life from Aaron Lynch. I saw a guy who was playing with more energy and emotion and he made a couple of nice hustle plays including his sack and the little check down on 3rd down that Mack forced. Lynch playing well is big, because Floyd is struggling with the club.

-Floyd is struggling with the club. He had a couple nice rushes against Brown even with it, but for the most part he is limited in what he can do.

-This was a game the Bears DL needed to dominate and they did.

-Hicks continues to be one of the best free agent signings in recent Bears history.
-Goldman was a force in the middle and with Mack forcing QBs to step up his ability to drive the pocket back becomes even more important. I was glad to see him getting more pass down reps.
-RRH continues to be a force and made a couple really nice plays in the run game.
-Bullard had a flash game and drew a holding call and made a couple of nice run stuffs.

-Danny Trevathan had a great game. He did an excellent job of cleaning up Wilson on some messy pockets and that is so key because of how often the Bears OLBs and DTs collapse and destroy the pocket.

-Roquan started slow and missed some tackles, but as the game went on you saw him slow down, settle down and start to make the plays he needed to make. The dude is a missile, he runs fast, and he will kill you when he arrives. In the 4th quarter I thought he was going to end a Seahawks season with the way he was dropping the hammer on the short passes.

-Nick K is a walking completion.

-Bryce Callahan was balling. There was one series were he defensed to passes and had a QB hit that caused an incompletion.

-The safety play was very good. There were screen shots floating around this morning that showed a number of plays where Russell had literally nowhere to throw the ball.

-Prince had a great game. The holding call was a little soft and his feet were tangled, but the rest of the game I thought he was right there to contest throws. There was a completion to Brandon Marshall where we all stoped and said “how did that get through Prince”. The pick 6 was just awesome CB play and was the play that Fuller did not make.

-Fuller has not had a great start to the season. He needs to play the TD pass better, but I am sure he was shocked that the ball was thrown there. A couple plays before that Wilson completed a 20 yard crossing route behind him that he simply lost his zone. He has not been bad, but he had not been 14/season good.

-I think we have found a defensive role for McManis, he is a really good blitzer.

-I loved seeing Fangio blitz more and trust the back end of the defense. There were a number of DB blitzes that were really well designed and that played off of the attention and fear of Mack. There was one where Mack looped inside and 3 guys followed him and then Trevathan and Callahan are running free.

I think @WindyCity nails it on the Trubisky front...some top quality throws and showed his playmaking ability while also missing some throws and on one play trying way to much and throwing into double coverage...he is exactly where I would expect him to be right now given his inexperience...just gonna take time. 

Awesome win last night.  Our D played great.  6 sacks, another pick-6.  Russell Wilson was under siege most of the night.  Trubisky is a work in progress.  I fhe plays at a solid level, we'll be more of a complete team.  If not, we'll be like any other Bears teams with a great defense and an ok at best offense. 

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think @WindyCity nails it on the Trubisky front...some top quality throws and showed his playmaking ability while also missing some throws and on one play trying way to much and throwing into double coverage...he is exactly where I would expect him to be right now given his inexperience...just gonna take time. 

Against the Packers I had him down for 7-8 bad throws or decisions.

This game I had him down for 4-5.

In the 2nd half he was 12/14 for 88 yards and a TD and a passer rating off 116.7.

Imagine for a second if Miller catches the TD pass right before the horrible decision that was almost picked and if Gabriel does not take a penalty on the 17 yard completion to Miller.

Trubisky would have been 227 3 TDs, 2 INTs and the Bears would have won 34-17. 2 plays where Trubisky did everything right would have changed the narrative.

Archived