RB Frank Gore: 4th all-time rusher

FinSting

On 9/17/2018 at 5:56 PM, FinSting said:

Dolphins' RB Frank Gore is now 4th on the all-time rushing list in NFL history. He went past Curtis Martin yesterday. Only two top 10 guys are still active, Gore and Adrian Peterson (who might just pass Tony Dorsett this year). 

Gore is not normal...he's averaging 4.8 yards per carry at age 35 (after 2 games, 18 carries for 86 yards). He also sealed the Fins win over the Jets yesterday by catching a pass thrown a bit low at his feet, and converting a rather unexpected 1st down on a 3rd and 19 that allowed Miami to take the Victory Formation the last few plays and run out the clock on a feisty Jets team. 

49ers, Colts, and now Dolphins. 

Franklin Delano Gore, a tip of the hat to you, sir. 

1 Emmitt Smith 18,355
2 Walter Payton 16,726
3 Barry Sanders 15,269
4 FRANK GORE 14,112
5 Curtis Martin 14,101
6 LaDainian Tomlinson 13,684
7 Jerome Bettis 13,662
8 Eric Dickerson 13,259
9 Tony Dorsett 12,739
10 ADRIAN PETERSON 12,392

I'm guessing you're also a University of Miami fan, and should be proud of Gore's accomplishments. But he'll take longer to reach Canton than many think, because of the compiling nature of his late career. It's not that impressive to hang around, average roughly 60 yards per game, Gore's rarely touches 100 anymore. He's not even close to being a top four RB in terms of career quality. When was the last time Gore starred in a really meaningful game for his team?     

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Did Franco Harris run over you dog or take a dump on your lawn? Serious question.

That's clearly not a serious question.

Franco Harris is the most overrated person, place, thing, situation, or idea in the history of this universe. It is absolutely hilarious that the man is in the HOF. 

20 minutes ago, Danger said:

The epitome of being good for a very very long time, but pretty much never great.

Being that "just very good" for that long makes you great as far as I'm concerned.  I've never been a huge fan of Frank Gore, but I respect the heck out of that accomplishment.

16 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I honestly don't know if Gore is a hall of famer. He has the bulk numbers but he only had one truly elite season.

I'm reasonably sure he gets in. Like 93% sure. Compiler or not I don't see how you keep him out with Curtis Martin in the hall. 

53 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Or Riggins.

Agree with Gore getting in eventually, but both Riggins and Martin reminded why they were great near the tail end of their careers. It's a significant difference between them and Gore, who continues to linger on, season after season.

24 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Agree with Gore getting in eventually, but both Riggins and Martin reminded why they were great near the tail end of their careers. It's a significant difference between them and Gore, who continues to linger on, season after season.

How so? I remember Martin essentially retiring when his body said no. He had his best season at age 31, and broke down the the following year. Gore's last quality season to me was at the same age. He did get another 1000 yard season at age 33 even still.

Riggins had 24 rushing touchdowns at age 35, which was remarkable. Gibbs utilized him a lot near the goalline when he became head coach in 1981. But he was a complier for the majority of his career, even going back to his days with the Jets. The last five years of his career, he wasn't even putting up 4 YPC. At one point during that span he actually led the NFL in rushing attempts in a season, but only had 3.1 YPC which is horrible. He won first team All Pro in 1983, but I think it clearly should have gone to Dickerson who was dragging the LA Rams. 

If both Martin, and Riggins are allowed in I don't see why Gore shouldn't be. 12 straight years of 1200 YFS is pretty impressive. 

12 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

How so? I remember Martin essentially retiring when his body said no. He had his best season at age 31, and broke down the the following year. Gore's last quality season to me was at the same age. He did get another 1000 yard season at age 33 even still.

Riggins had 24 rushing touchdowns at age 35, which was remarkable. Gibbs utilized him a lot near the goalline when he became head coach in 1981. But he was a complier for the majority of his career, even going back to his days with the Jets. The last five years of his career, he wasn't even putting up 4 YPC. At one point during that span he actually led the NFL in rushing attempts in a season, but only had 3.1 YPC which is horrible. He won first team All Pro in 1983, but I think it clearly should have gone to Dickerson who was dragging the LA Rams. 

If both Martin, and Riggins are allowed in I don't see why Gore shouldn't be. 12 straight years of 1200 YFS is pretty impressive. 

We agree about Gore eventually getting in, but he's not helping himself with these 60 yard games. Both John Riggins and Curtis Martin had huge seasons the year before age finally caught up with them. Riggins lost his speed late, but still showed that HOF greatness in his next to last season. When a durable back can squeeze out those 60 yard rushing games, getting 200 more receiving yards in the regular season really isn't a big deal.  Gore had a terrific postseason in 2011, but Riggins had one of the best in NFL history.

Archived